Thread: Indy Ref 2

Hybrid View

Indy Ref 2

And we are off and running.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

We will be voting again at some point between Autumn next year and Spring 2019. Bring it on.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Game on! It's Jocky at the oche!

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Is it a mistake to have stated the Indy Ref could be cancelled if a suitable brexit deal gets put on the table? Think she's left herself open for another "Vow" type manoeuvre.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    This doesn't confirm another Independence referendum - it merely says she's going to ask for permission for one. I sincerely doubt Westminster will grant her that.
    Okay, technically I'm a serial killer...

@hibs.net private member johnbc70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This doesn't confirm another Independence referendum - it merely says she's going to ask for permission for one. I sincerely doubt Westminster will grant her that.
    So what happens if they say No, where does she go?!

It would be a remarkably stupid move by Westminster to block it. May might try and influence the timing of it but it is unlikely that she will refuse to allow it to go ahead.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    It would be a remarkably stupid move by Westminster to block it. May might try and influence the timing of it but it is unlikely that she will refuse to allow it to go ahead.
    She doesn't strike me as someone that really gives a monkeys what people in Scotland think.

What are the possible consequences of her saying no to the vote? Nobody voted for her party up here anyway.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    She doesn't strike me as someone that really gives a monkeys what people in Scotland think.

What are the possible consequences of her saying no to the vote? Nobody voted for her party up here anyway.
    The consequences would be a guaranteed Yes Vote. She knows that, which is why it will be agreed.

Imagine an unelected, austerity cutting, Hard Brexit steering Westminster Prime Minister telling Scotland that they can't have a vote!

J

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

As opposed to Sturgeon who only doesn't give a monkeys about what a majority of people in Scotland think, otherwise she wouldn't be wanting to ask the same question again so soon. Once in a lifetime / generation?!
    ​#PERSEVERED

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Westminster won't block it.

Weird that Holyrood needs to ask permission to have a vote on breaking the union, I don't remember us ever asking the EU if it was ok to go ahead and vote on leaving that.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Is it a mistake to have stated the Indy Ref could be cancelled if a suitable brexit deal gets put on the table? Think she's left herself open for another "Vow" type manoeuvre.
    It may, and it's a risk. But once bitten, twice shy.
    Also, I genuinely believe they will make a total James Blint out of the Brexit negotiations that Independence will be even more attractive. I also think the EU will use Scotland to leverage the rUK.

Perfect timing, and gives the Tories the rope to hang themselves.

This time before the 2014 referendum Yes was at 28%. Today Yes is a ball hair from 50-50. It's only going one direction.

J

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Frazdazhfc
    Aw god not again. Will be many people getting unfollowed on social media, was draining last time.

@hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Stolen from Twitter
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    Aw god not again. Will be many people getting unfollowed on social media, was draining last time.
    This was honestly my first thought. Some of the stuff on behalf of both the Yes and No campaign was frankly embarrassing

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Frazdazhfc
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875M View Post
    This was honestly my first thought. Some of the stuff on behalf of both the Yes and No campaign was frankly embarrassing
    Yeah and the complete non-respect for people's views annoyed me. "If you vote x you are an embarrassment" etc. I'll decide thanks ya plumb.

Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    Absolutely. I'm closing my facebook later today once I've swapped e-mail address with a couple of people so we don't lose touch altogether.

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    Although I'm 100% in favour of independence, I wasn't sure whether I wanted another referendum so soon. Now it's on the cards I'm delighted that we'll (if all goes to plan) get another chance to go for it. The Yes campaign is in a much stronger starting position this time round. Bring it on.

It's a referendum that needs to be held imo. Brexit was, whether people like it or not, a game changer.

A vote either way now should answer the question for the forseeable. Tbh I'm undecided as it stands, leaning towards yes, but like last time my vote is up for grabs.
    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    It's a referendum that needs to be held imo. Brexit was, whether people like it or not, a game changer.

A vote either way now should answer the question for the forseeable. Tbh I'm undecided as it stands, leaning towards yes, but like last time my vote is up for grabs.
    I agree with your first bit there. I thought her reasoning was right. This is a fundamental change and an opportunity for people to take the decision in amongst what any reasonable person would describe as a very significant change of circumstances.

And I'd only just starting speaking to my no voting neighbour in the last few weeks. Oh well, here we go.....2 in a row.....kind of :-D

@hibs.net private member HiBremian's Avatar
    A vote in early 2019 would mean 4-5 years between the 2 referenda, coincidentally the same as the cycle of parliamentary elections. In this age of constant plebisites we maybe need to get used to it. After all, if a pro-EU gvt is elected to Westminster in 2025 (forget 2020!) there may well be another EU vote. And if a unionist majority is elected to Holyrood in an indy Scotland in 2026 (or whenever the next again election is) we could have a "re-join the union" vote. That's democracy at the mo, until someone comes up with a better system for radical constitutional change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HiBremian View Post
    A vote in early 2019 would mean 4-5 years between the 2 referenda, coincidentally the same as the cycle of parliamentary elections. In this age of constant plebisites we maybe need to get used to it. After all, if a pro-EU gvt is elected to Westminster in 2025 (forget 2020!) there may well be another EU vote. And if a unionist majority is elected to Holyrood in an indy Scotland in 2026 (or whenever the next again election is) we could have a "re-join the union" vote. That's democracy at the mo, until someone comes up with a better system for radical constitutional change.

Jeepers , you make it sound like the hokey-cokey! I can just about conceive of a future vote on Europe but as for independence, once we've gone that's it imo

@hibs.net private member HiBremian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    Jeepers , you make it sound like the hokey-cokey! I can just about conceive of a future vote on Europe but as for independence, once we've gone that's it imo
    You're probably right, but technically there's no reason why unionist parties won't stand in holyrood elections post-indy. Maybe Ruthie will rename her party the "Conservative and Hokey-Cokey" party :-)

First Team Breakthrough
    I don't see the need to hold an independence referendum next year. Why not lets see what comes out the Brexit deal and then have the indyref2 vote? If that takes us until 2012 then I don't see a problem with that.

Asking people to vote on independence when they do not know what Brexit will look like is a bit unfair on the voter I think.

Bring It on though it will be a fierce battle I am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeTeam View Post
    I don't see the need to hold an independence referendum next year. Why not lets see what comes out the Brexit deal and then have the indyref2 vote? If that takes us until 2012 then I don't see a problem with that.

Asking people to vote on independence when they do not know what Brexit will look like is a bit unfair on the voter I think.

Which is why we are not doing that.

@hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeTeam View Post

But we should a clearer view of what form Brexit will take by the autumn of next year - as stated by Nicola Sturgeon.

@hibs.net private member
    Can we have a separate thread for the usual suspects on both sides who take over the conversation and copy and paste their posts from the last thread

All I hope is that Alastair Darling isn't involved this time, can't bare to look at those eyebrows again!

Delighted

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    Delighted
    I knew you would be 👀