hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    First Team Regular Salt N Sauzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, they wont. How on earth did you reach that conclusion? Even without Sanchez that squad is not even close to mid table.

Arsenal have never been a mid table club at best, they are one of the most consistent teams in history. They are 2nd in the all time English top flight table.
    Found the Arsenal fan

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Salt N Sauzee View Post
    Found the Arsenal fan
    No, just the Hibby with logic.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    He needs to go and he needs to take the majority of the squad with him.

Out of that Arsenal squad I would say only Cech (even then he's getting on a bit), Bellerin (more based on potential), Koscielny and Sanchez would be of any interest to any of the other top clubs in England and all of them would be of no interest to the likes of Real and Barca.

The fact that their starting line up regularly consists of 4 or 5 from Monreal, Mustafi, Gabriel, Coquelin, Elneny, Xhaka, Walcott, Chamberlain, Iwobe, Ramsey, Cazorla, Welbeck and even Giroud just shows why they get horsed off world class teams in the Champions League. These guys are mid table Premiership players at best.

They need to go out, get a world class manager and give the guy £200m or so to spend. They must have it as Wenger doesn't spend nearly as much as the other big teams.
    Cazorla being injured is part of the reason they are struggling, he is a top class player.

No, they wont. How on earth did you reach that conclusion? Even without Sanchez that squad is not even close to mid table.

Arsenal have never been a mid table club at best, they are one of the most consistent teams in history. They are 2nd in the all time English top flight table.
    I beg to differ. Take Sanchez out of that squad and they are very close to a mid table team/squad.

Cazorla being injured is part of the reason they are struggling, he is a top class player.
    Santi Cazorla is a good player but he is nothing like top class and if him missing is why their struggling then they really do have problems.

@hibs.net private member Auckland Hibs's Avatar
    He's taken them as far as he can - he's a legend & should go before it turns nasty.

Produced some amazing teams, however they can be sooo frustrating to watch.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Beat of Bayern 5-1 three times in a row.

His time is up.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Not for me. IMO he wouldn't get near the Chelsea, City, United, Spurs and Liverpool midfields.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Without Sanchez and Ozil (who'll both leave in the summer), that team is very average.

And, for all that his Invincibles team was outstanding...he's signed a load of ***** too. Over the last 3 seasons he's brought in the likes of Xhaka for £35m, Perez £17m, Gabriel £13m, Chambers £17m, Debuchey £13m, Elneny £10m. He's spent over £220m in total over the last 3 seasons, and they've no really improved at all.

I've never been a fan of Wenger, but I'd rather they kept him on, I like to see him struggling.
    Pretty much where I've always been, he can't organise a defence or spot a defender. Key invincibles / defenders were inherited.

With one or two exceptions his big signings aren't great as you say. You forgot Jeffers, Reyes and Arshavin and I don't think they've had much value from ozil in relation to what he cost. He is often out and sometimes looks like he doesn't want to be there when he does play.
    Last edited by Bostonhibby; 08-03-2017 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Didn't check!

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Pretty much where I've always been, he can't organise a defence or spot a defender. The "invincibles" defence was inherited.
    No it wasn't. He inherited the legendary back five of Seaman, Dixon, Adams, Keown, Winterburn.

The invincibles back five was Lehmann, Lauren, Cole, Toure and Sol Campbell. Each one signed by Wenger with the exception of Cole.

Wenger's predicament is a well worn story of a manager staying on too long. Reminds me of Clough or even ET with us. Knowing when to call the a day is an important part of being a great.

Just hope he can announce that he will retire at the end of the season so he can be shown the respect and appreciation he deserves for all he has done for the club.
    Last edited by Baader; 08-03-2017 at 08:28 AM.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    No he didn't. He inherited the legendary back five of Seaman, Dixon, Adams, Keown, Winterburn.

The invincibles back five was Lehmann, Lauren, Cole, Toure and Sol Campbell. Each one signed by Wenger with the exception of Cole.

Wenger's predicament is a well worn story of a manager staying on too long. Reminds me of Clough or even ET with us. Knowing when to call the a day is an important part of being a great.

Just hope he can announce that he will retire at the end of the season so he can be shown the respect and appreciation he deserves for all he has done for the club.
    Sorry, you're right. Just don't think he's signed or organised a decent defence since. Mind you in that particular season attack was probably the best form of defence.

I think he is being left behind and some of his recent signings aren't doing it.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Sorry, you're right. Just don't think he's signed or organised a decent defence since. Mind you in that particular season attack was probably the best form of defence.

I think he is being left behind and some of his recent signings aren't doing it.
    Other than Sanchez I'd suggest all his signings for the best decade or so haven't done enough.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    No it wasn't. He inherited the legendary back five of Seaman, Dixon, Adams, Keown, Winterburn.

Good summary.

It's probably time for Wenger to go but the Arsenal fans risk embarrassing themselves before the end of the season. Wenger has done a lot for them.

Coaching Staff
    Football in England has also changed a bit. If Man city and Chelsea didn't get their influx of spending power Wenger would probably still have Arsenal battling it out with Man Utd.

I do think there is some risk that they change and start to slide back - but that said it is probably now at the stage where there needs to be a change but at the end of the season.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Not for me. IMO he wouldn't get near the Chelsea, City, United, Spurs and Liverpool midfields.
    Cazorla would get comfortably in all of them, except Chelsea.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Yeah, it's part of the reason, cos he's better than what they have playing in his place. He's a good player, not a top class player, though.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    I beg to differ. Take Sanchez out of that squad and they are very close to a mid table team/squad.
    Firstly, Sanvhez is an Arsenal player. Take the best players out of any team and they're weakened.

Secondly, "Very close to" means they're not. I was very close to having a hole in one yesterday.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 08-03-2017 at 09:18 AM.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Wenger will not be sacked. It's simple.

Arsenal are run as a business enterprise with the aim to keep ROI index in the sweet spot.

Let's just assume the Arsenal board invest 200 mil in the summer to get better players. Does is guarantee success (winning CL or PL)? Absolutely not. Football is a high risk business with many uncontrollable factors. But let's assume that the Arsenal board do invest 200 mil in transfer fees + 30-40 mil a year in wages for 3-4 new players. And they do win the PL and CL.

How much more money will they get from sponsors, UEFA, fans (match day) and TV money? extra 20 mil? 30 mil? So investing 240 mil gives a return of 30 mil. What sort of business is that?

I'm not saying it's good. this is the way Arsenal is set up. The Arsenal board makes sure to invest enough to be in CL so they finish fiscal year in the black. Rinse and repeat. And that's why Wenger will never be sacked as he guarantees that top 4 finish.

Say what you want about Abramovich, the sheiks, Levy or the Glazers - but these guys do not lack ambition. These guys would no way allow a manager to still be at the helm after only just 2 FA Cups in 13 years with no possibility that they will challenge for the EPL or CL. Kroenke & Gazidis do.

They left Highbury for the Emirates to compete with the elite but they have gone well backwards than steps forward. Their best and only real quality player that they have is on his way out, their fans are divided and not united together and they had the perfect opportunity to win the league last season with Chelsea, both Manchester clubs, Liverpool all performing abysmally, but they f***** it against Leicester City.
    Last edited by hfc rd; 08-03-2017 at 09:20 AM.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Mid table likr Stoke, or West Brom, or even Everton?

Disagree. I think you could count on one hand the times arsrnal have been mid table in my lifetime.

I remember they finished disastrously low for them (6th maybe?) Under rioch in the mid 90s and it was treated as a major crisis and surprise.
    Last edited by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy; 08-03-2017 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    your wrong. this is a Hibs forum, and the present subject is a non Hibs content therefor should be stated as such or better still removed to another sub forum.
    Read the forum description:

The messageboard for all Hibs fans to chat about Hibs and football in general.

As for Wenger, I'd imagine he'll call it a day at the end of the season and it may well be announced soon to placate the baying hordes.

Left by mutual consent!

They are the most consistent team in history, as they don't jump the gun and fire their managers when they have a slip up.

Who do you honestly think they're going to replace Wenger with who will be able to meet the expectation levels of the fans? Which go above and beyond Arsenals consistant level?

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by High-On-Hibs View Post
    They are the most consistent team in history, as they don't jump the gun and fire their managers when they have a slip up.

Who do you honestly think they're going to replace Wenger with who will be able to meet the expectation levels of the fans? Which go above and beyond Arsenals consistant level?
    The fans feel that consistantly getting knocked out in the last 16 if the CL, and consistently losing their way in the EPL title race isn't good enough.

You might be right, but I'll be very surprised if Wenger is still there in August.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Auckland Hibs's Avatar
    He's lost half the fans & half the dressing room - it's only a matter of time. Having seen his last few interviews on tv he looks like he has the weight of the world on his shoulders.

Pretty tough job finding a replacement when he does leave.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    Wenger will not be sacked. It's simple.

Arsenal are run as a business enterprise with the aim to keep ROI index in the sweet spot.

Let's just assume the Arsenal board invest 200 mil in the summer to get better players. Does is guarantee success (winning CL or PL)? Absolutely not. Football is a high risk business with many uncontrollable factors. But let's assume that the Arsenal board do invest 200 mil in transfer fees + 30-40 mil a year in wages for 3-4 new players. And they do win the PL and CL.

How much more money will they get from sponsors, UEFA, fans (match day) and TV money? extra 20 mil? 30 mil? So investing 240 mil gives a return of 30 mil. What sort of business is that?

I'm not saying it's good. this is the way Arsenal is set up. The Arsenal board makes sure to invest enough to be in CL so they finish fiscal year in the black. Rinse and repeat. And that's why Wenger will never be sacked as he guarantees that top 4 finish.

Say what you want about Abramovich, the sheiks, Levy or the Glazers - but these guys do not lack ambition. These guys would no way allow a manager to still be at the helm after only just 2 FA Cups in 13 years with no possibility that they will challenge for the EPL or CL. Kroenke & Gazidis do.

They left Highbury for the Emirates to compete with the elite but they have gone well backwards than steps forward. Their best and only real quality player that they have is on his way out, their fans are divided and not united together and they had the perfect opportunity to win the league last season with Chelsea, both Manchester clubs, Liverpool all performing abysmally, but they f***** it against Leicester City.

To be fair Arsenal were the only team to beat Leicester city twice

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

There's a fair bit of managerial talent around. Wenger doesn't seem to get the best out of his squad at times.

Any successor will have a tough job, but also a great opportunity.

Let's be honest he's overstayed for years not just this season. Blame the board as they have done nothing. While others were bringing in quality Arsenal done the usual.. nowt.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    The fans feel that consistantly getting knocked out in the last 16 if the CL, and consistently losing their way in the EPL title race isn't good enough.

You might be right, but I'll be very surprised if Wenger is still there in August.
    I'd be surprised as well tbh. But i'd be even more surprised if Arsenal were able to bring somebody in who would suddenly have them picking up EPL titles and CL winners medals.

Their fans demand silky looking football, but to have all the goodies in the bag at the same time. They're not willing to compromise. That's why they'll rarely ever win anything major.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    Cazorla would get comfortably in all of them, except Chelsea.
    Not for me.

Spurs - Alli, Wanyama and Ericksen are better midfielders.
    City - Id have Sterling, Sane, De Bruyne, Toure and Silva ahead of him in the midfield positions.
    Man Utd - Pogba, Mata, Herrera, Mkhtiryan and Martial all offer more than him
    Liverpool - Mane, Coutinho and Lallana would all be in ahead of him
    Chelsea - Hazard, William, Pedro, ****e and even Fabregas would all be in ahead of him.

All IMO of course. He's not a bad player as such, I just don't think he's top level.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 08-03-2017 at 10:05 AM.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    The Arsenal board makes sure to invest enough to be in CL so they finish fiscal year in the black. Rinse and repeat. And that's why Wenger will never be sacked as he guarantees that top 4 finish.

(At least) 3 FA cups in 13 years, but agree with the rest of your analysis. There was also a brief period where Arsenal had a far eastern player in the first team squad who never or hardly ever played, presumably simply to boost shirt sales on the other side of the world.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty

They've consistently failed to win the EPL in any the last 12 seasons.

They have won 3 FA cups in that time though, and no league cups.

Also, they've been very consistent in the Champions League. 6 years in a row they've been knocked out in the last 16 stage.

They're clearly one of the biggest clubs in England, so the consistency they've shown, that Wenger has brought them, is pretty **** to be honest.