hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holt

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Keatings would be our top goal scorer if he played every game.
    I totally agree.
    If he was played in his position i.e up top and not in the hole in think he'd score plenty,makes good runs and doesn't mind using either foot.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Who on here, apart from Holt lovers understands the role of a False No. 9- a tactic that Lennon really favours?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Thought Holt was great, energy and linked the play well. Genuine leader on the pitch and deserved a goal.

I thought he was outstanding today, as I usually think he is.

I honestly can't understand how people can watch a performance like that and think he's anything other than outstanding.

For me he's our most important player right now and he's the glue that holds all our play in the final third together.

Ketings would do well up there with him, Cummings does well with him, Boyle would do well with him. Without him we look lost.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    A great performance by Holt. Shinnie was good as well but Holt shaded it for me as MotM

Going by goals alone, Kris Boyd would be the best striker Scottish fitbaw has seen in a long time.

Love the big guy. Works well with Jase and talks the other players through the game.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

I honestly can't understand how people can watch a performance like that and think he's anything other than outstanding.

For me he's our most important player right now and he's the glue that holds all our play in the final third together.

Ketings would do well up there with him, Cummings does well with him, Boyle would do well with him. Without him we look lost.
    Totally agree has been excellent recently.

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I thought he was poor. Basically lived up to Blackpool Hibs summary today- spent too much time miles from the box or moaning at officials. At one point in the second half Stevenson was clearly shouting at him to get himself in the box.

Some nice touches first half over by the West but very little came off for him or Cummings second half.
    Each of us has our own opinion to which they are entitled. Even when it's wrong, like yours is.

It's possible to agree with your last paragraphs but not think he was great today.

He was nowhere near outstanding for me. Wayward 35 yard volleys, too slow to get a shot away from good Boyle cutback, several examples of giving the ball away 2nd half. Not a great showing

My man of the match as well today. Movement was good, hold up was good and he was good in the air either winning his fair share or making defenders miss.

A 442 with Cummings and Holt up top is the way to go for us. If that means Bartley, McGinn or Fyvie missing out at times then so be it
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

First Team Breakthrough churchie16's Avatar

Finally someone else who sees it the guys a class act works his socks off for the team can see John McGinn sir David etc appreciate him understand he's probably got to score more but if he performs like that every week like the last good few weeks and gets promoted with this group of guys that's good enough for me

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    My man of the match as well today. Movement was good, hold up was good and he was good in the air either winning his fair share or making defenders miss.

A 442 with Cummings and Holt up top is the way to go for us. If that means Bartley, McGinn or Fyvie missing out at times then so be it
    I totally agree re: 442.

Left by mutual consent!
    He scored at places like the Emirates and Stamford Bridge for Norwich in the epl, Hampden should hold no worries for him.

It's possible to agree with your last paragraphs but not think he was great today.

He was nowhere near outstanding for me. Wayward 35 yard volleys, too slow to get a shot away from good Boyle cutback, several examples of giving the ball away 2nd half. Not a great showing
    He was very involved throughout.

I thought he was outstanding and played very well indeed without being perfect.

Yes, he makes wrong decisions, misses the target, sometimes takes up unusual positions and gives the ball away. But that happens when you're sticking your neck on the line and grafting away to get involved.

I like that about him and I'll always accept players making mistakes when they're making an effort.

I like Fyvie for that reason too.

Players could come off the park stating they never set a foot wrong without really having got involved enough - I prefer a few rough edges to that.

Holt is the type of player Hibs have been crying out for years. A no nonsense in-your-face competitor who'll ruffle feathers, mix it with opposition hard men and has zero respect for billy-no-marks up here in Scotland. He does the grunt work that allows others to play, but has a great footballing brain to go with it.

For too long, Hibs have been seen as a soft touch to poor teams who have bullied us - especially the Yams. Grant Holt is payback time

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    My MOM as well. He received an horrendous tackle in the first minute but continued to harangue the Ayr defence for the entire game. He also offered plenty of encouragement to his teammates, in short, he's a real asset to the team.

Left by mutual consent!
    He got smashed in the first minute

Should have been a yellow straight away

Coaching Staff
    I thought he was poor. Basically lived up to Blackpool Hibs summary today- spent too much time miles from the box or moaning at officials. At one point in the second half Stevenson was clearly shouting at him to get himself in the box.

Some nice touches first half over by the West but very little came off for him or Cummings second half.
    You are mental. Holt was outstanding today. That's not an opinion, he just was.

Great in the first half, faded a bit in the second but improved as the half wore on.

Like Cummings, got through lots of work and had a good game.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I just have a feeling that Grant Holt is going to score some of our most important goals of the season in the weeks ahead.

He was very involved throughout.

I thought he was outstanding and played very well indeed without being perfect.

Yes, he makes wrong decisions, misses the target, sometimes takes up unusual positions and gives the ball away. But that happens when you're sticking your neck on the line and grafting away to get involved.

I like that about him and I'll always accept players making mistakes when they're making an effort.

I like Fyvie for that reason too.

Players could come off the park stating they never set a foot wrong without really having got involved enough - I prefer a few rough edges to that.
    This all day long.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    I thought he was excellent for the 1st 20-30 mins then ok thereafter.

Gave the ball away too often in the 2nd half for my liking so i'm not sure where people are getting the outstanding performance from.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Holt was my MotM again. We are a much better team when he plays. Uses every bit of his experience to our advantage.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Holt played well doing what he does well. Wasn't my motm tho. That was between big Effe or SJM. Both terrific.

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Haven't read the thread, don't even know if it was started to slate him but can I just say, he was outstanding today.

If he still had half a yard he would still be in the BPL. Clever, energetic and wise. MoTM for me by a distance.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

He is making a huge difference in the big games and expect he will give United a really difficult time on Friday.

He may end up being the difference at a time when we need to battle to get over the line and would unsettle any defence at Hampden.

First Team Breakthrough Mon_the_cabbage's Avatar
    I thought he played really well. He also caused a chuckle in the West Lower in the 2nd half.

Jostling with a defender, he allowed the ball to roll out over the side line and when Ayr got the throw in he had a go at anyone who would listen (and some who didn't) but in a last desperate move, he turned and shouted to us in the west Lower "You'se all seen that didn't you?" to much merriment .

If I'm honest though, I thought it was their throw in too!

Quote Originally Posted by HFCdeb View Post
    I love him. The most unselfish player on the pitch. He was superb today from start to finish.
    I only saw the first half ! as I had to take my wee granddaughter hame. Holt was amazing in that half, with all his trickery and passing. he was obviously sweating like bein' in hell but one downside being, he sometimes wont chase balls that he might get. younger players tend to go for it but that's his status nowadays and I like how he operates!.I was in the lower west today and what I saw from him , I liked. he did get a fair whack early in the game too

First Team Breakthrough
    His best game for me in terms of linking up play with midfielders. The difference between us taking 1 touch instead of 3,4,5 is frightening as well - it must happen more often.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar

Maybe not poor but he certainly wasn't great. I love the big man to bits but he's just not got the sharpness now.