hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Topographic Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A flange of West of Scotland FC Orcs came swaggering into the away section in the old stand lower enclosure singing about "Wan Joak Waallis" at the home game. Or should the collective noun for them be a Lodge of Orcs?
    'Defecation' - definitely - the product of the Orange movement.

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    The balloon thing is fascinating..never heard about it before..here is a picture of it in action

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    and here is one of the players actually training underneath it !

They should have got one big enough to enclose the whole stadium. Winter games viewed from the high terrace were a ghastly experience in those days - windchill wasn't the word for it.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Just got hold of the programme for the home match against Leicester in 1979 and I notice that Gary Lineker was listed as being in the Leicester side that day. Can anyone confirm that he played ? If so must surely have been (perhaps along with the return tie) the only time that Lineker and George Best played against each other. Always rated Lineker, just a fabulous penalty box striker. Really wish I'd attended this match now, I was only 11 and only allowed to go to ER when my Granda took me and we never went to this one.

Looking at the Leicester clipping posted I see that Lineker scored in a 1-1 draw up at Elgin. Wonder if he's any recollection of that!

Interesting the teams that they were playing in friendlies in general really - Tulsa Roughnecks

Worcester - could tweet the man himself and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by KWJ View Post
    Looking at the Leicester clipping posted I see that Lineker scored in a 1-1 draw up at Elgin. Wonder if he's any recollection of that!

Interesting the teams that they were playing in friendlies in general really - Tulsa Roughnecks

Worcester - could tweet the man himself and ask.
    Ian Wilson had been transferred from Elgin City to Leicester in April of that year. The game may have been part of the fee.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    I was at both Leicester games . Tiny crowds at both with about 5000 ( including about 100 Huns in old South Enclosure ) at home game and about 2000 at away game including a couple of hundred Hibs fans at one end of whom about 20 were lifted at half time for supposed programme theft etc. . In home game we had Yugoslav goalie on trial / loan - he`d played in a 4 - 0 defeat in a friendly at Killie 2 days before . Can`t remember why we had no league game that weekend . Surprised to read that Best played as I thought debut at Paisley ( even with Best we lost so maybe yesterday wasn`t so bad ) and home debut v Jags had been just before Christmas . Pretty sure away game was one of the ones where he was supposed to have played but didn`t make it . We won 2 - 0 in Leicester ( our only away win except maybe bounce matches that season which should maybe be remembered when people consider Turnbull`s management record ) with Jackie Mcnamara scoring his first goal for Hibs ( remember him scoring at Ibrox in a SC tie a year or two after but he didn`t score many goals ). Away game was played on a pitch with thick layer of snow at a time when Leicester were famous for the balloon they put up to protect the pitch but didn`t use for that match . I went by train and remember Hibs team were on same train ( from Birmingham ) on way back but with sleeper beds while fans had seats .
    Did Gary Lineker play upfront for Leicester in those games?