hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Captains role

Captains role

Today we were coasting until our captain sold the jerseys at their first goal. This was followed by Fonts going off injured which then lead to a shambolic effort, particularly at the start of the second half when we were on the ropes. At no point during this period of the game did anyone take control of what was going on. It's at times like these a captain has to step up to the plate as it were and muster the troops. Not once did David Gray shout at his team mates or cajole them or try and instil some belief. He just went about things like a total stranger, even when the chaos was unfolding around him. It's at times like this when your backs are up against the wall that you need leaders on the park, and today we had none. Time for McGregor to take over the armband methinks.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    😂😂😂
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    😂😂😂
    Three little grey circles? Not sure what you're getting at (genuinely can't see the icons) but I'm guessing total disagreement. Did you think he fulfilled his role today in a defensive capacity?

David Gray will forever be a legend but he's not a captain for me. Does nothing to motivate the team.

Ffs the young lad Crane was trying to motivate the defence more than Gray was once he came on.

Left by mutual consent! WS Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    David Gray will forever be a legend but he's not a captain for me. Does nothing to motivate the team.

Ffs the young lad Crane was trying to motivate the defence more than Gray was once he came on.
    Pretend he wasn't the man who scored the winner in the cup final for a second. Did you not see some of the runs and tackles he made in that final? Even some Hearts fans (who often delusionally pretend they'd have no Hibs player in their squad) admire how much he runs through walls for us. He motivates by example. McGregor, by the way, was absolutely shocking today and probably matched Gray in ineptitude without making as costly a mistake.

First Team Breakthrough 21.5.16's Avatar
    Ive always said Paul Hanlon should be captain or Lewy in his absence

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Yes don't need shout to be good captain. But organizing defense is helpful albeit easier for CH.

I love big McG but halon is my favorite defender, I just think he's class.

First Team Breakthrough seven nowt's Avatar
    David Gray would be my captain. Everyone makes mistakes, and one from him is rare. The guy's a leader. Think McGregor is a great player also, but was no better than David Gray today either.

Bartley was giving someone a mouthful but I couldn't work out who it was. Initially thought it was gray but could have been MacGregor or fyvie as all were in the vacinity.

The entire back 4 were a shambles at times today...why single out David grey...they were all equally as bad once fonts went off. The blame for me lies solely with lennon tbh...why put Bartley at CH?? Ridiculous decision that massively backfired

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post

This, sadly, it was very noticeable last night, McGregor for me.

Anybody who doubts David's Gray's ability as a Captain should watch the last twenty minutes of the Cup Final again. He leads by example and always does. One mistake last night coupled with most of his team mates having a bad game doesn't change that.
    Last edited by marinello59; 26-02-2017 at 08:19 AM.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Anybody who doubts David's Gray's ability as a Captain should watch the last tee twenty minutes of the Cup Din again. He leads by example and always does. One mistake last night coupled with most of his team mates having a bad game doesn't change that.
    Nail on the head, how anyone can question his leadership as Captain is beyond me. As for the "sold the jerseys" comment, it's ridiculous he made a mistake.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 26-02-2017 at 07:46 PM.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Anybody who doubts David's Gray's ability as a Captain should watch the last twenty minutes of the Cup Final again. He leads by example and always does. One mistake last night coupled with most of his team mates having a bad game doesn't change that.
    Spot on the epitome of a captain. Fantastic leader. He made a mistake these things happen, move on.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Exactly.

He's had one bad game and we should strip him of the captaincy? Madness.

Also there's nothing stopping McGregor being a leader on the pitch, there's no rule to say only the captain can gee them up

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    Exactly.

Also there's nothing stopping McGregor being a leader on the pitch, there's no rule to say only the captain can gee them up
    Almost like something the yams would do. Hmmm.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Left by mutual consent!
    He had a shocker yesterday, but it was a first from him. Any player is capable of having a rotten 90 minutes. I certainly wouldn't remove his captaincy based on one poor performance.

@hibs.net private member
    rarely lets us down and as you say the last 15-20 minutes of the final he was superb.

Do people still think captains (or managers) motivate players by shouting and screaming at them? Those days are gone.

David Gray made a mistake yesterday but he wears his heart on his sleeve every week and leads by example. He's been a fantastic capatain for us since before that goal in May and has continued to be afterwards. You can see how much the players respect him and that's far more important than him doing some crap Roy Keane impression trying to provoke a reaction.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    Exactly.

First Team Breakthrough
    This is genuinely pitiful.

Gray makes one error and suddenly he's not fit to be captain.

Nobody said that on Wednesday when he went through every tackle and played excellently.

I don't know if some people post on here what they genuinely think or just to try get a reaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coaching Staff
    David Gray leads by example, even when his own personal performance has dipped, he never hides in a game and you can see how other team mates respect him on the pitch and off it. Also communicates really well in interviews and you can hear how determined he is which reassures those of the 'bed-wetting' variety.

I would definitely consider John McGinn as captain if DG was absent though - SJM's progress since being at Hibs is fantastic and he is captain material right now. Another who leads from the front and by example - top top professional for one so young.

You don't need to shout at players to motivate them. But there was a complete lack of organisation last night and nobody did anything to try and address it.

As captain Gray should have done more in that regard IMO. Don't really have a problem with his mistake because those things happen and you can't really legislate for it.

I wouldn't single him out for it. I thought McGregor and Stevenson who are very experienced players should have done more as well. Nobody took any responsibility for sorting things out in the second half when were all over the place. There looked to be absolutely zero communication.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAsHellas View Post
    Today we were coasting until our captain sold the jerseys at their first goal. This was followed by Fonts going off injured which then lead to a shambolic effort, particularly at the start of the second half when we were on the ropes. At no point during this period of the game did anyone take control of what was going on. It's at times like these a captain has to step up to the plate as it were and muster the troops. Not once did David Gray shout at his team mates or cajole them or try and instil some belief. He just went about things like a total stranger, even when the chaos was unfolding around him. It's at times like this when your backs are up against the wall that you need leaders on the park, and today we had none. Time for McGregor to take over the armband methinks.
    Far too many players were below par yesterday. SDG had a stinker. Big Daz wasn't much better. Not sure what your point is tbh.

Times like yesterday when the passing pattern has gone wrong, we miss a big guy up front (Malonga) to hold it up and knock it off. Route One if you will.

Dunfermline were able to cope with balls in the air because we lacked an aggressive fellow like that.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    You don't need to shout at players to motivate them. But there was a complete lack of organisation last night and nobody did anything to try and address it.

As captain Gray should have done more in that regard IMO. Don't really have a problem with his mistake because those things happen and you can't really legislate for it.

I wouldn't single him out for it. I thought McGregor and Stevenson who are very experienced players should have done more as well. Nobody took any responsibility for sorting things out in the second half when were all over the place. There looked to be absolutely zero communication.
    The bit in bold - that's how it looked to me too. Verbal communication on the pitch is an important aspect of playing the game of football, as in any team sport. Nobody appeared to be taking any responsibility.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Times like yesterday when the passing pattern has gone wrong, we miss a big guy up front (Malonga) to hold it up and knock it off. Route One if you will.

Dunfermline were able to cope with balls in the air because we lacked an aggressive fellow like that.
    Heard it all now! I don't think by any stretch of the imagination that Malonga could be described as "aggressive!"

😁

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post

We miss Dom full stop - I agree.

What Dom was able to do was also play the channels and allow the team to get higher up the pitch. Grant Holt was dropping deeper and central, not really offering anything and there wasn't anybody to take the ball from him hence we lost possession easily. Dunfermline exploited the left throughout the second half and for me, they identified how poor Shinnie is defensively. Time and time again Shinnie left too much time and space for Higginbotham, didn't get tight, and when he did was very soft in the tackle. I totally agree, someone like Malonga playing on that flank second half would have held ball better, higher up the pitch, and been more offensive. Shinnie had an absolute mare yesterday (for me).

I thought David looked tired yesterday, he was walking flat-footed with his head down a lot of the time.

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    David Gray made a defensive error then two minutes later the ball hits off his chest a yard from their goal. He wasn't hiding and he was end to end during most of the game. He was right up there when Boyle could have laid it back for him but got dispossessed instead. The referee and his persistent decisions against us knocked the momentum out of our team then Dunfermline played very well to take control and we struggled to stop them. It was John Beaton and Dunfermline's good players who deserve credit for turning that game and not just a rare mistake by our captain (perhaps due to a bad bounce).