hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have the same issue with a group name describing multiple people using the word 'is', instead of are.

For example:

the Dallas cowboys is building a new training facility.

Or

Rangers is working hard to eradicate sectarianism.

I suppose its down to the cowboys or the rangers being a single club, but I still think it sounds wrong. If the wording was "rangers football club is working hard", I think that sounds more natural.
    This is very much dependent on what you are actually meaning when you use the team name, as using the team name is essentially a shortening of something else. If you were to say "Hibernian" rather than "Hibernian Football Club", that it's singular and you should use "is". If you were to say "Hibernian" rather than "the Hibernian players", that is plural and you should use "are".

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Having a heated debate about grammar and would like some opinion from our resident Grammar Nazis.

Which of the following is correct and why?

Neither of us is capable of winning this.

Or

Neither of us are capable of winning this.
    The first one is correct grammatically, according to an English teacher of 40 years. (Not me I hasten to add) I can confirm he is a complete grammar nazi. once sent the birthday card I sent him back with red pen all over it!

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    This is very much dependent on what you are actually meaning when you use the team name, as using the team name is essentially a shortening of something else. If you were to say "Hibernian" rather than "Hibernian Football Club", that it's singular and you should use "is". If you were to say "Hibernian" rather than "the Hibernian players", that is plural and you should use "are".
    We say hearts were crap rather than hearts is crap.

Although it is.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    Where the nazis sticklers for grammar?
    Jawohl.

And they didn't like people who mixed up 'where' and 'were', either.

Or the ones who didn't know that 'Nazis' is spelled with a capital 'N'.

I suspect that the Gestapo is/are spinning in its/their collective grave/graves right now.

To continue.

In the OP's example 'either' and 'neither' can only refer to one person. So they're both grammatically singular. So the correct reading is, 'Neither of us is capable of winning this'.

And again, 'Neither of them is capable of winning this'.

BUT - 'Hearts' and 'Rangers' are both grammatically plural, even though they each refer to a single entity* - so if 'them' in the last example referred to Hearts and Rangers, I think it would be correct to say, 'Neither of them are capable of winning this'. But that would be a special case.

Of course, a simpler way of expressing the same sentiment would be, 'The slimeballs are going to lose big time'.

Similarly, 'Tottenham Hotspur' is singular, but 'Spurs' is plural. I'm really not sure about Leeds, which sounds plural but is definitely singular..

I hope this clarifies things for folks.
    Last edited by Doddie; 28-02-2017 at 03:07 PM.

"Once one accepts that one has bear-hugged full-blown barking there is great comfort in the bright lights and noises of the wibble-wibble show ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    'Hearts' and 'Rangers' are both grammatically plural, even though they each refer to a single entity* - so if 'them' in the last example referred to Hearts and Rangers, I think it would be correct to say, 'Neither of them are capable of winning this'. But that would be a special case.

Of course, a simpler way of expressing the same sentiment would be, 'The slimeballs are going to lose big time'.
    I disagree...except with the "slimeballs" part.

"Hearts" and "Rangers" are only "grammatically plural" if you are referring to more than one heart or more than one ranger. In the context of referring to the club/business etc, they are single entities which should be referred to as such. Those particular words just happen to end with the letter "s".

They're, their, there.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned 1,789.68!