hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like that we're going down the electric route. Price aside, I'd be tempted but the range and number of charge points still concern me. I would use my car to get north quite a lot and I don't think there are anywhere near enough charge points up there (from last time I checked).

Hybrids seem like a good choice at the moment - they seem to be popular in London at the moment, I was in a few different ubers down there and they were all hybrids. The wee monitor that showed the flow of power to and from the battery was cool to watch too!
    Quite a few around. I've just bought a hybrid having traded in my old diesel.

Couple of Tesla's round where I live as well.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Sergio sledge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like that we're going down the electric route. Price aside, I'd be tempted but the range and number of charge points still concern me. I would use my car to get north quite a lot and I don't think there are anywhere near enough charge points up there (from last time I checked).

Hybrids seem like a good choice at the moment - they seem to be popular in London at the moment, I was in a few different ubers down there and they were all hybrids. The wee monitor that showed the flow of power to and from the battery was cool to watch too!
    When doing long journeys hybrids aren't really any better in terms of MPG than an ICE car. http://emissionsanalytics.com/hybrid...t-to-the-test/

If you are doing lots of short journeys (20 - 30 miles a day) with the occasional long journey a hybrid is a good option though.

I had a shot of a BMW i3 range extender for the weekend a while back and it is brilliant. Did around 100 miles on electric and then there was a small petrol engine which charged the battery to extend the range if you went beyond this. It took the range to nearly 200 miles.

Provided you buy the correct electric vehicle (capable of fast charging) then you only need to take a 25-30 minute break once every couple of hours to get the battery back to 80% charge. I drove down to my family's house in the borders from Inverness using the BMW i3 and I stopped in Perth for 25 minutes to charge up and it only really added 10 minutes to my normal journey time as I usually stop there for a toilet break and a coffee most times I go down. The highway code recommends you take a 15 minute break every 2 hours of driving anyway, so when driving for work we have to do this. Driving an electric vehicle would just mean that this break was enforced rather than at the drivers discretion.

@hibs.net private member derekHFC's Avatar
    The changing of the speed limit is an effort to change the attitude of people driving.

If the road is a 30mph limit, you'll find that a number of people will drive at say 34mph-38mph (at an estimate), some maybe more than that.

By reducing the speed limit to 20mph, they are probably hoping that people will drive at 24mph-28mph.

According to the link on the council website (HERE) I would say Queen Street is in zone 2 which starts next week.

Some very interesting comments though.
    Someone once told me that hard work wouldn't kill me.

I thought: "Hell, why take the chance"!

Scottish Cup Victory - Witness 2016 Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    I drive regularly between nine sites in Edinburgh. I generally stick pretty rigidly to the speed limit and often review my own driving habits, braking,speed etc through our fleet navman system that I manage anyway. Some interesting reading when I compare my stats to others.
    "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
    an advantage, then he should be."