hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yup I agree that you will find them in both genders. And while I'm sure 7% doesn't represent the female population capable of holding CEO jobs at FTSE 100 companies I would suggest that a fair representation of females with the attributes to hold they jobs would be a considerable bit short of 50%.
    Even if we accept an over-simplified model of 'male' and 'female' personalities, it could be argued that the 'male' characteristics that our culture has valued in CEO's are a bit over-valued....
    You could probably make a decent case that it was 'male' traits, such as confidence (to the point of hubris), aggressive risk-taking, lack of attention to detail - to name but a few - that brought down the banking sector.
    You might also say that the likes of Leanne Dempster and Ann Budge at the helm of Scottish football clubs are taking an approach that would have avoided the boom and bust model that endangered both of our clubs in the past.
    Just saying, likes.....

2. Log in to remove the advert

So why the big song and dance about it? I would prefer not to be a lawyer.. so I don't go moaning about the fact I'm not a lawyer. If women would prefer not to be a CEO then why is there even a discussion about the amounts of women in CEO positions?
    Possibly because we still have far too many cave men who think women don't have the ability to be a CEO just because of their gender. It beggars belief that ignorance like that still exists in 2017 but believe me, it does. That's why it needs discussing.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

So why the big song and dance about it? I would prefer not to be a lawyer.. so I don't go moaning about the fact I'm not a lawyer. If women would prefer not to be a CEO then why is there even a discussion about the amounts of women in CEO positions?
    If men were being excluded from being Lawyers because of their gender, I'm sure you would realise that it was wrong and unfair, regardless of your personal ambition.

In any case, many women would love to be CEOs, but aren't given the opportunity.
    Buy nothing online unless you click here first. I'm already 1,497.46 better off!

@hibs.net private member Steve-O's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by s.a.m View Post
    To be honest, I don't like the word anyway. I assume it harks back to ancient times, pre-modern medicine, when there would be local women experienced and (hopefully) skilled at helping women through labour. In France, they're called (I believe) sages-femmes (wise women), which has the same kind of ring to it. For some people, that kind of distancing from medicalised childbirth will be attractive: I'm no earth mother, and it's not for me. I'd call them Obstetric Nurses or Practitioners, or something like that.
    They are midwives in NZ too but are also known as Lead Maternity Carers.

@hibs.net private member calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    If men were being excluded from being Lawyers because of their gender, I'm sure you would realise that it was wrong and unfair, regardless of your personal ambition.

In any case, many women would love to be CEOs, but aren't given the opportunity.
    But women aren't excluded from being CEOs? I've never in my life seen an example of a woman being excluded from a job because of their gender. They may be excluded by their skill set, but then some males would also be excluded by that.

@hibs.net private member
    But women aren't excluded from being CEOs? I've never in my life seen an example of a woman being excluded from a job because of their gender. They may be excluded by their skill set, but then some males would also be excluded by that.
    Women are not excluded but it's pretty naive to think that gender discrimination in the boardroom doesn't still exist.

Anyway there are a lot of studies that show companies with a significant female presence in senior management tend to perform better than those that don't.

The reason it appears is they display the exact opposites of the characteristics you (at least I think it was you) quoted as being desirable for a CEO. These traits it would appear are actually better for the long term growth of companies than the ones displayed by their male counterparts. Clearly all of this is at a general / aggregated level.

https://qz.com/612086/huge-study-fin...re-profitable/

That's like saying there were just no catholics good enough to play for Rangers. It wasn't bigotry, just a skill set issue.

Of course good candidates are overlooked because they're women. Your own words suggest that if you had the choice between a man and a womam, you'd be inclined to prefer the man.

And that's the point. It might not be blatantly illegal, but it's real bias.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    How often are you involved in the hiring of people for high level boardroom positions?

Back to the topic of midwifes, I remember at my daughters birth it was mostly women but there was one guy who flitted in and out during proceedings. I don't think it matters much either way as everyone has their hand in there except the father. I distinctly remember as the moment came upon us stretching over the crowd in a Tantalisian fashion and saying "gies a feel, gies a feel"............

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    How often are you involved in the hiring of people for high level boardroom positions?
    Idn't it funny how the focus of the debate is boardroom appointments and not discrimination or, more importantly, lack of opportunityexperienced by working class women.

I kind of feel the issue is focused around middle class entitled women who can shout the loadest.