hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Six Nations 2017

Great win for Scotland today over Ireland 27-22. Hard fought and plenty of guts on display.

England sneak home against France 19-16.

Great start to the tournament. Bonus points on offer for more attacking rugby. Going to be a great 5 weeks of rugby viewing.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Yes yes Scotland won woohoo etc...

the important question though is what type of flags did the Irish lads have with them

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Great performance by Scotland! Done the nation proud against a very good Ireland side. Wish the national football team had the same effort and passion as these rugby lads do when they play for their country.

Glad the 6 Nations is back and it's going to be some great rugby over the next couple of weeks.

Got tickets for both the Wales & Italy matches @ Murrayfield. Really can't wait!
    Last edited by hfc rd; 25-02-2017 at 09:31 PM.

I find Rugby a bit dull these days. Yesterday it largely consisted of a line of big guys hammering into another line of big guys. When they occasionally lost possession, the other guys got a shot.

It's great when they run with the ball but there seemed to be more of that in former times.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Wales scored a couple of good tries today.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I find Rugby a bit dull these days. Yesterday it largely consisted of a line of big guys hammering into another line of big guys. When they occasionally lost possession, the other guys got a shot.

It's great when they run with the ball but there seemed to be more of that in former times.

Mostly down to the very flat defensive lines, so little space compared to say 20ish years ago.

Also, a little like football, it's easier to coach a relatively limited team defensively than in an attacking sense.

Interestingly, the summarising group on BBC pointed out that scotlands performance yesterday was similar to that of a typical New Zealand performance, where they have less possession but score more points.

I've got no confidence in Wales this time with Howley at the helm. We were disappointing in the autumn besides S Africa. Found it really though going again Italy for the first hour and not getting a bonus point out there could really prove to be problematic.

Very impressed by Scotland though. Wouldn't be surprised it they beat Wales if they play like that. France in Paris will be a big test for them.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by nellio View Post
    I've got no confidence in Wales this time with Howley at the helm. We were disappointing in the autumn besides S Africa. Found it really though going again Italy for the first hour and not getting a bonus point out there could really prove to be problematic.

Very impressed by Scotland though. Wouldn't be surprised it they beat Wales if they play like that. France in Paris will be a big test for them.

Wales seem like the one side not on an upward curve but there is still real quality there and the Welsh have a knack for stepping up on a Lions year. Their front row will need a big improvement but in AW Jones, Tipuric, Warburton, Faletau, Biggar and Liam Williams they have quality to challenge anyone on their day.

Scotland are maybe the most exciting prospect. For the first time in years this is a Scottish side without too many weaknesses. Dominated by a strong Glasgow side and a very effective loose 5, the Scots boast possibly the form 10 in Europe at the moment and in Seymour, Hogg and Jones, some genuine class out wide. Front row is a worry though and they'll be hoping to see less of the silly errors and poor judgement calls that have plagued their national and domestic teams in recent matches.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Thought Scotland took there chances very well which has been one of our biggest problems of the last few years.

Great defensive display in the second half gave us the platform to win the match.

Thought Ireland started poorly lots of errors but then showed they'll still have a big say in the championship.

France game is massive. Win that and we've got a real chance.

How good is it to have a truly world class player in Hogg? Surely guaranteed to get the full back spot for the Lions.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    See this points thing, what I don't get us a team could win the grand slam but get no bonus points and another could win all but one game and get a bonus point in each. You would auto think the grand slam team is the winner but points say otherwise

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    See this points thing, what I don't get us a team could win the grand slam but get no bonus points and another could win all but one game and get a bonus point in each. You would auto think the grand slam team is the winner but points say otherwise
    Grand Slam gets 3 bonus points so at least 23 points.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

If anyone is looking to get ride of a ticket for the England game, I might be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by NYHibby View Post
    If anyone is looking to get ride of a ticket for the England game, I might be interested.
    That game is at Twickenham in case you didn't know.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    As Broxburn says that's why they're giving 3 points to anyone that wins the grand slam - to ensure they win the championship.

I'm not sure - seems a bit of a contradiction.

No one got a bonus last weekend either so it seems as if it's not really a concern for the teams. We had a chance to go for it at the end but took the safe option.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NYHibby View Post
    You will ride someone for a ticket! That's dedication or desperation depending on the gender of the ticket holder I guess.

@hibs.net private member
    This refs desperate to give them penalties today.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Greig Laidlaw out for the rest of the series, huge blow for scotland

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38984204

Scottish Rugby confirmed the 58-time capped player sustained ligament damage against the French.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    Greig Laidlaw out for the rest of the series, huge blow for scotland

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38984204

Scottish Rugby confirmed the 58-time capped player sustained ligament damage against the French.
    I'm not sure it's a massive blow tbh. He's replaceable as a scrum half - obviously the captaincy is important so not sure who'll get that gig. And as for goal kicking he only takes the kicks from close in (hence his high percentage) so hopefully Russell can step up to the mark,

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    I'm not sure it's a massive blow tbh. He's replaceable as a scrum half - obviously the captaincy is important so not sure who'll get that gig. And as for goal kicking he only takes the kicks from close in (hence his high percentage) so hopefully Russell can step up to the mark,
    Agreed, his experience and kicking will be missed however his all round play won't be. Ali Price is so much quicker at the ruck and around the fringes which will hopefully show vs Wales.

Scotland will miss his leadership I think. I can see Scotland beating us next Saturday, might even put a few quid on it.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by nellio View Post
    Scotland will miss his leadership I think. I can see Scotland beating us next Saturday, might even put a few quid on it.
    Hopefully someone else steps up as the leader - maybe one of the Gray's.

I think you're right - I fancied this game before the tournament and after Ireland even more so. You raised your game v England and I think that level will drop because you're not capable twice in a row and "it's only Scotland" complacency.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post

hopefully no muck-ups with any conversions and another player out

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39007432

Scotland number eight Josh Strauss has been ruled out of the rest of the Six Nations campaign through injury.

It represents a second injury blow for the Scots after captain Greig Laidlaw was also ruled out of the remainder of the championship.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    hopefully no muck-ups with any conversions and another player out

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39007432

Scotland number eight Josh Strauss has been ruled out of the rest of the Six Nations campaign through injury.

It represents a second injury blow for the Scots after captain Greig Laidlaw was also ruled out of the remainder of the championship.
    Strauss is a loss.

That conversion was a joke - apparently Hines told him to hurry up and take it before the ref called on the tmo.

Just got a ticket for Scotland Wales on the weekend. Should be a good game. I think it will be close with Wales just edging it. I would have said you lot of Laidlaw and Strauss were playing but think we have better depth.

By my calculations I should have an hour to get down to ER after to watch the Hibees. Should be able to get from Murrayfield to ER in about an hour.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Not a great game so far. Wales looking the stronger team in a scrappy encounter. 6-13 after 35mins.

what a result, didn't see that one coming

@hibs.net private member
    Quality. Barclay stepped up as captain, Russell's kicking was excellent and we have a better scrum half now.

Testimonial Due
    Great from Scotland in the second half. Wales were better in the first half, but we came out determined to win in the second.
    Russell's kicking was good, topped off by the last penalty he scored, not the easiest. I've been a critic of him in the past, but he definitely deserved his motm award.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Great atmosphere at Murrayfield today! Really enjoyed it and can't wait for the next home game against Italy! The Welsh fans turned up in very good numbers. Wales absolutely battered us in the 1st half and deservedly were winning at the break. 2nd half, a totally different Scotland team turned up and I believe that took the Welsh by surprise as we hammered them in that 2nd period.
    Last edited by hfc rd; 25-02-2017 at 09:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    Italy beating England 10-5 at half time. Clive Woodward in the prematch discussion said that Italy had improved and there was less chance of England winning by 70 points. "It's more likely to be a 30 to 40 margin." England will probably go on and win easily but the first half certainly left egg on the arrogant Englishman's chin.