hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Any guitar players out there?

My son is getting group lessons at his school and it made me remember my old electric acoustic guitar in the garage that hadn't been played for about 17 years. We used to go down to original banana row back in the day and thrash about (very badly!)

Anyway, I decided to get it repaired again and while I was in my local shop doing so I saw one of these and couldn't help myself. Ideal for practising when I'm out at work and good for those who are, ahem, blessed with slightly stubby fingers like myself.

I dug out the old book that taught me the basics all those years ago and only now realise how boring it was. Im not even going to try and look for the accompanying cassette. I persevered with the first few lessons last night though and the tips of my fingers are on fire/numb which feels great.

To anyone who plays, is my choice of guitar OK (over the Squier mini) and is there anything out there, free or otherwise, that's a little bit more interesting to get me started again?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Have you got an Xbox or PlayStation?

I'd recommend Rocksmith if you have. You get a cable that connects your guitar (which looks very nice by the way - I just got a Squire Stratocaster before Christmas to learn on).

The game teachers you real songs, gives challenges to learn scanners and chords etc.

At the moment I'm working my way through about seven Oasis subs and about the same for Radiohead. It's brilliant playing along to songs you know and love. The difficulty increases as you get better at each song and it goes back a bit if you're struggling.

I've tried a few times to learn and this is by far and away the best imho.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

I took up the bass a while back & love it, frustrating at first trying to play chords but a few visits to you tube & now I can play a few songs from The Cure, James, The Pogues etc. I started off with basic riffs using tabs.

I also struggled with learning more than four bars at a time & moreso if I tried to play a more complex song. I bought a couple of books by Hal Leonard, started at basic & Im now between basic & intermediate. Timing was an issue, particularly when playing along to a fast song, I started off well then played as if I was using someone elses fingers 😄

Im now onto learning Stone Roses songs, in particular & relatively easy is She Bangs The Drums, brilliant chunky bass lines. I am struggling with Peter Hook & the Light, Hooks bass playing is on another planet 😄

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    My advice would be to set aside say 15-30mins every day for a wee practice. You won't notice the small daily improvements but after a few weeks you'll see the difference.
    As mentioned, the YouTube lessons are a great free source for learning.
    Re. guitars. You usually get what you pay for. Epiphone if you can't afford a Gibson and Squire if you can't afford a real Fender.
    If you want a good affordable acoustic beginner's guitar, I recommend the Yamaha F310. You can pick up a 2nd hand one for around £50- £80 on eBay/gumtree. I think they are approx £120 new.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have you got an Xbox or PlayStation?

I'd recommend Rocksmith if you have. You get a cable that connects your guitar (which looks very nice by the way - I just got a Squire Stratocaster before Christmas to learn on).

The game teachers you real songs, gives challenges to learn scanners and chords etc.

At the moment I'm working my way through about seven Oasis subs and about the same for Radiohead. It's brilliant playing along to songs you know and love. The difficulty increases as you get better at each song and it goes back a bit if you're struggling.

I've tried a few times to learn and this is by far and away the best imho.
    I don't have anything but my son has an Xbox one s. I've had a wee look at Rocksmith and it looks really good and gets great reviews.

Is it something a nine year old would appreciate as well or will it be a bit too hard/advanced for him? I'm going to meet a bit of resistance if it's just for me and I have to invade his room to play it.

Edit: ...how much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking? It looks pretty scarce and very expensive from Amazon etc...!!
    Last edited by Pete; 04-02-2017 at 06:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    I took up the bass a while back & love it, frustrating at first trying to play chords but a few visits to you tube & now I can play a few songs from The Cure, James, The Pogues etc. I started off with basic riffs using tabs.

I also struggled with learning more than four bars at a time & moreso if I tried to play a more complex song. I bought a couple of books by Hal Leonard, started at basic & Im now between basic & intermediate. Timing was an issue, particularly when playing along to a fast song, I started off well then played as if I was using someone elses fingers 😄

Im now onto learning Stone Roses songs, in particular & relatively easy is She Bangs The Drums, brilliant chunky bass lines. I am struggling with Peter Hook & the Light, Hooks bass playing is on another planet 😄
    The bass is cool and something that I'd like to get into once I'm fairly proficient on a normal guitar. I'd probably just end up confusing myself right now.

When you said The Stone Roses, She bangs the drums was the first song that came to mind. A lot of their songs had brilliant basslines.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    My advice would be to set aside say 15-30mins every day for a wee practice. You won't notice the small daily improvements but after a few weeks you'll see the difference.
    As mentioned, the YouTube lessons are a great free source for learning.
    Re. guitars. You usually get what you pay for. Epiphone if you can't afford a Gibson and Squire if you can't afford a real Fender.
    If you want a good affordable acoustic beginner's guitar, I recommend the Yamaha F310. You can pick up a 2nd hand one for around £50- £80 on eBay/gumtree. I think they are approx £120 new.
    Thanks for that. I'm trying to take the little and often approach but time doesn't half fly when you're in the zone and 15 minutes turned into 45! (Very sore fingers and wrist now).

I looked at lots of guitars and decided that it would be Epiphone or Squier over unfamiliar/shops own brands as they are sort of linked to Gibson and Fender (which I can't afford).
    It's odd that the 3/4 size squire strat was £30 more expensive than the Epiphone and even £5 more expensive than the full size strat! The guy in the local shop (who I'll be supporting from now on) was really helpful and said that the quality was pretty similar and its down to personal choice.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I don't have anything but my son has an Xbox one s. I've had a wee look at Rocksmith and it looks really good and gets great reviews.

Is it something a nine year old would appreciate as well or will it be a bit too hard/advanced for him? I'm going to meet a bit of resistance if it's just for me and I have to invade his room to play it.

Edit: ...how much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking? It looks pretty scarce and very expensive from Amazon etc...!!
    A nine year old could play it - my daughter has a go on it.

You might be able to get a second hand copy cheaper, I only have the 360 versions otherwise I'd offer you a loan of it to try it out - it's not backwards compatible on Xbox One so I'll wait for the next version to come out before getting it for that.

I think it's brilliant though, I've had a few goes over the years at learning and this is the only one that I've found particularly rewarding.

A nine year old could play it - my daughter has a go on it.

You might be able to get a second hand copy cheaper, I only have the 360 versions otherwise I'd offer you a loan of it to try it out - it's not backwards compatible on Xbox One so I'll wait for the next version to come out before getting it for that.

I think it's brilliant though, I've had a few goes over the years at learning and this is the only one that I've found particularly rewarding.
    Thanks man. I think I will wait for the newer version.

Hit a brick wall with something evil called the A shaped barre chord. That outrageous finger bending just isn't happening.

Grrr. :-(

Hit a brick wall with something evil called the A shaped barre chord. That outrageous finger bending just isn't happening.

Grrr. :-(
    Its all about practice, keep at it & your fingers will soon be in positions you never imagined 😆 I struggled with postitioning on the bass but after a good bit of practice things are coming along well, never did I ever think I would be able to play through whole songs, faves being Stone Roses ( She bangs the drums) Joy Division (Love will tear us apart) & the Cure (Boys dont cry) love throwing off a few riffs too with Fleetwood Macs, the Chain being a good one, keep at it 👍

Its all about practice, keep at it & your fingers will soon be in positions you never imagined 😆 I struggled with postitioning on the bass but after a good bit of practice things are coming along well, never did I ever think I would be able to play through whole songs, faves being Stone Roses ( She bangs the drums) Joy Division (Love will tear us apart) & the Cure (Boys dont cry) love throwing off a few riffs too with Fleetwood Macs, the Chain being a good one, keep at it 👍
    Will do mate and I've surprised myself so far by nailing other barre chords fairly quickly by continually practising (and suffering).

However, the tips of all my fingers are bendy apart from the one that needs to be and I'm wondering if it's an old injury from childhood. No room for excuses though and after a bit of reading I've discovered there are other ways to play it, with some famous guitarists using these methods.

Onwards and upwards!

Will do mate and I've surprised myself so far by nailing other barre chords fairly quickly by continually practising (and suffering).

However, the tips of all my fingers are bendy apart from the one that needs to be and I'm wondering if it's an old injury from childhood. No room for excuses though and after a bit of reading I've discovered there are other ways to play it, with some famous guitarists using these methods.

Onwards and upwards!
    Good stuff mate, not sure if you are using sheet music or books for chords or tabs, I started using tabs & I am now getting used to chord structure, staffs etc. Went to Red Dog music shop in Grass market & picked up a couple of Hal Leonard books, the books are full of play along rock/alternative songs which are great to learn, they go from beginner to intermediate, to expert etc 👍

Good stuff mate, not sure if you are using sheet music or books for chords or tabs, I started using tabs & I am now getting used to chord structure, staffs etc. Went to Red Dog music shop in Grass market & picked up a couple of Hal Leonard books, the books are full of play along rock/alternative songs which are great to learn, they go from beginner to intermediate, to expert etc ��
    The first time around I looked at the boring book for a while then looked at my favourite songs and studied chord diagrams, never got into tabs (still cant really understand them tbh).

This time around I feel I want to get the basics right so I'm persisting with the "boring" book, which is actually teaching me about sheet music, notes and scales etc...Ive only been learning about music "properly" for a few months but I can now understand what I'm playing when I look at videos of people telling me how to play my favourite songs. It's maybe back to front in some people's eyes but it's good to know why you're playing a certain note.

Was doing a few bass note excercises last night and I'm digging that. Shame there isn't the same range of equipment as I'd pick up a cheapish mid-range bass if I could. Cheers for the recommendations, I'll look out the books.
    Last edited by Pete; 12-05-2017 at 06:17 AM.

The first time around I looked at the boring book for a while then looked at my favourite songs and studied chord diagrams, never got into tabs (still cant really understand them tbh).

This time around I feel I want to get the basics right so I'm persisting with the "boring" book, which is actually teaching me about sheet music, notes and scales etc...Ive only been learning about music "properly" for a few months but I can now understand what I'm playing when I look at videos of people telling me how to play my favourite songs. It's maybe back to front in some people's eyes but it's good to know why you're playing a certain note.

Was doing a few bass note excercises last night and I'm digging that. Shame there isn't the same range of equipment as I'd pick up a cheapish mid-range bass if I could. Cheers for the recommendations, I'll look out the books.
    Good to hear you are progressing, despite the "suffering" - think you should maybe try to get into tabs as well though - they can give you some great tips. The link below is a great soucre of chords, tabs, lessons and - for a reasonable fee- you can access "play-along tabs" which are great for practising ... good luck

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

Tabs are quite easy to follow, probably moreso for the 4 string bass than the 6 string lead, the numbers indicate which fret you have to finger on the corresponding strings. I found that a perfect way to learn riffs, after that I adjusted to tempo by listening to various songs, then added a few licks & fillers as I got more confident. Ive now added distortion pedals to my kit & that really alters range & tone to my relatively bottom end bass guitar.

I have a guitar, but haven't really got far with learning how to play it. It's my favourite instrument to listen to, and many of my favourite musicians are guitarists, which is equally inspiring and demotivating at the same.

I watch and and listen to them marvelling at what they can do (inspiring), then immediately think 'what's the point, I'll never be anywhere near as good as that' (demotivating)

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    I have a guitar, but haven't really got far with learning how to play it. It's my favourite instrument to listen to, and many of my favourite musicians are guitarists, which is equally inspiring and demotivating at the same.

I watch and and listen to them marvelling at what they can do (inspiring), then immediately think 'what's the point, I'll never be anywhere near as good as that' (demotivating)
    Give it a try, honestly, you will be surprised how quickly you pick stuff up. I was all fingers & thumbs almost two years ago but can now play a few songs right through on the bass. Still a long way to go & so much to learn but I love it.

Don't give up.

Listen to the break in this song. I am not a very good player but just about have it down. I know it's just copying but I love this song. If I can progress you certainly can :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETkzK9pXMio

Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    Good to hear you are progressing, despite the "suffering" - think you should maybe try to get into tabs as well though - they can give you some great tips. The link below is a great soucre of chords, tabs, lessons and - for a reasonable fee- you can access "play-along tabs" which are great for practising ... good luck

Tabs are quite easy to follow, probably moreso for the 4 string bass than the 6 string lead, the numbers indicate which fret you have to finger on the corresponding strings. I found that a perfect way to learn riffs, after that I adjusted to tempo by listening to various songs, then added a few licks & fillers as I got more confident. Ive now added distortion pedals to my kit & that really alters range & tone to my relatively bottom end bass guitar.
    Cheers guys. The layout still looks weird to me but I suppose there's no harm in getting into them, especially if it's such a widely used format.

I can only echo what the others have said. I know how you feel though as I looked at the link a few posts up and thought for a few seconds that I'd never be able to do anything like that. I've only been playing for a few months and am still pretty useless but if I keep practising then there's no reason for me, you or anyone else not to get to that level.

A more experienced player might correct me on this but one reason might be equipment. I'm learning on electric guitars nowadays but I learned on a bowl back acoustic with thick steel strings and a terribly high action back in the day. So much harder to play and it's no wonder I gave up.

Give it a try, honestly, you will be surprised how quickly you pick stuff up. I was all fingers & thumbs almost two years ago but can now play a few songs right through on the bass. Still a long way to go & so much to learn but I love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SanFranHibs View Post
    Don't give up.

Listen to the break in this song. I am not a very good player but just about have it down. I know it's just copying but I love this song. If I can progress you certainly can :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETkzK9pXMio
    I can only echo what the others have said. I know how you feel though as I looked at the link a few posts up and thought for a few seconds that I'd never be able to do anything like that. I've only been playing for a few months and am still pretty useless but if I keep practising then there's no reason for me, you or anyone else not to get to that level.

A more experienced player might correct me on this but one reason might be equipment. I'm learning on electric guitars nowadays but I learned on a bowl back acoustic with thick steel strings and a terribly high action back in the day. So much harder to play and it's no wonder I gave up.
    thanks guys, it's good to hear I'm not alone in these thoughts

Another good tip with regards learning tabs is a song comes in bars, there may be four or five chords in a bar for example. Break the song down by learning one bar at a time, get confident playing the one bar over & over, then practice the second bar, play both bars then onto the third & so on. Keep at it & you will be playing whole songs in no time.

With regards equipment, no doubt decent kit will get decent sounds. A colleague of mines plays lead. He has a run of the mill accoustic which he practices on then refines the songs (mostly Oasis) on a steel stringed accoustic or a lead guitar. He goes up town in summer & makes a few bob busking 😄

First Team Breakthrough portyhibernian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post

I echo this comment - a goldmine of tab and chord sheets, and most songs have bass and ukelele included too. I recommend downloading the phone app on your phone - I find it much easier to use than the website and you can use the app to transpose most songs up and down. Stick at it - I've been playing for a long time and know from experience it's a real gradual process. If you haven't already got one, I recommend buying a capo too - can make awkward chords much easier. Finally, if you don't fancy paying for lessons, search YouTube for 'Marty Schwartz' - he has a good amount of lessons for pretty much all skill levels. All the best!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Sure I've recommended it before but get a hold of Rocksmith on Xbox or PlayStation - makes learning songs much more interesting and will teach you chords, scales and different techniques.

Sure I've recommended it before but get a hold of Rocksmith on Xbox or PlayStation - makes learning songs much more interesting and will teach you chords, scales and different techniques.
    Yes mate I remember and I went and got it (2014 version but it upgrades to 2016). Been mucking about with it but I'm hopeless at these consoles and keep getting put back to the beginning. :-D

That "lag" is a nightmare though and I have to rig up my amp to get proper sound that isn't a millisecond behind.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Yes mate I remember and I went and got it (2014 version but it upgrades to 2016). Been mucking about with it but I'm hopeless at these consoles and keep getting put back to the beginning. :-D

That "lag" is a nightmare though and I have to rig up my amp to get proper sound that isn't a millisecond behind.
    I've got it through the component cables rather than HDMI and don't really get the lag. Think it recommends doing it through an amp though.

Pete, how are you getting on with your guitar, knocking out any good tunes yet ? I decided to buy an left handed Electro Accoustic (Chord) as I fancied changing between both. I am really enjoying learning the accoustic apart from having sore fingers from the steel strings.

I have learnt a few chords but am slightly sluggish with the chord changes as opposed to doing it with the bass which I am finding easier.
    Last edited by MSK; 01-03-2018 at 07:19 PM.

Pete, how are you getting on with your guitar, knocking out any good tunes yet ? I decided to buy an left handed Electro Accoustic (Chord) as I fancied changing between both. I am really enjoying learning the accoustic apart from having sore fingers from the steel strings.

I have learnt a few chords but am slightly sluggish with the chord changes as opposed to doing it with the bass which I am finding easier.
    Fine mate, not been playing as much as I’ve changed jobs and don’t have much time to myself nowadays.

One thing I did do was download that ultimate guitar app, which can tell you how play any song (well the chords anyway). It’s great but the best source has been YouTube, where I can get the strumming patterns nailed too. I’m only playing rhythm just now and one thing I’ve realised is how easy to play most of the popular songs are...loads of basic, open chords that are just rearranged a bit differently. Learning these songs is great but I feel like I’m losing all the knowledge I worked so hard to gain at the start as I’m not testing myself by learning new things. Hard to explain.

Anyway, good luck with the electro acoustic, a new instrument is a new motivation. Is it a plastic bowl-back or is it made of wood?

Fine mate, not been playing as much as I’ve changed jobs and don’t have much time to myself nowadays.

One thing I did do was download that ultimate guitar app, which can tell you how play any song (well the chords anyway). It’s great but the best source has been YouTube, where I can get the strumming patterns nailed too. I’m only playing rhythm just now and one thing I’ve realised is how easy to play most of the popular songs are...loads of basic, open chords that are just rearranged a bit differently. Learning these songs is great but I feel like I’m losing all the knowledge I worked so hard to gain at the start as I’m not testing myself by learning new things. Hard to explain.

Anyway, good luck with the electro acoustic, a new instrument is a new motivation. Is it a plastic bowl-back or is it made of wood?
    Good stuff mate, Ive not been on the guitar as much as I would like to either due to working silly hours etc, need a good weeks annual leave so I can get wired in again. Guitar I have is flat backed black ash wood, its a 24 fret job but has a short neck (compared to standard length) good to see you are using youtube, I like guitar.com and in some cases it is good for alternative chord/tab patterns. As mentioned above by another poster, Marty Schwartz is good to take tips from as he goes back to basics, the one I have picked & have learned a lot from is Andy Crowley, check his lessons out on Youtube, he is really good.

Stick with it mate��
    Last edited by MSK; 03-03-2018 at 02:10 AM.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar

Have you tried using lighter gauge strings to help your fingers? If you are using the strings supplied with the guitar, they are probably 12s or 13s. Try going down to 11s. It won’t eradicate the sore fingers but it will help. Also, you don’t really need to press down all that hard onto the fret board. Try to relax and play a few chords and each time slowly reduce the pressure until you can’t actually hear the notes in the chord clearly. Work back down with slightly more pressure until you find what feels and sounds right.

I’m getting back into guitar after a few years out. The rhythm stuff has never really left me but I’m trying to reteach myself lead. I don’t think my wife is enjoying it, especially when I crank up the effect where I get my name on here from.