hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well one things for sure, the ITKs didn't know.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GloryGlory View Post
    Agree with this. Players like Crane, Shaw, Martin, Porteous and others need to get working in training to catch the manager's eye. I'm sure a few of them will get a chance off the bench in the next few months, particularly if we maintain our lead or pull further ahead.

What's the point of us having a youth academy if players can't step up when required?
    Shaw and Porteous won't. They are out on loan.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Enough said View Post
    What a stupid post . So much negativity , you wouldn't think we are top of the league sometimes.
    People are seeking to blame Hibs but the problems could just as easily have been other clubs being difficult to deal with (e.g. Celtic have previous for this, ISTR).

It's always been the case that it is much harder to get your transfer targets in the winter window than the summer window.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Rangers never even named a full bench in the Scottish cup final last season and they absolutely skooshed the league. We're nowhere near the point where we don't have enough players to fill the bench. Not sure why people are panicking.
    Apparently didn't name a full bench for finanical reasons.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Shaw and Porteous won't. They are out on loan.
    Fair enough, didn't know that.

We are 8 points clear despite having had our midfield decimated through injurys and our main striker out of form and dropped. We have statistically the best defence in Europe and everyone bar Hanlon fit and Cummings knocking them in again. I'm not concerned about this transfer window in the slightest.
    Last edited by SirDavidsNapper; 01-02-2017 at 06:43 AM.

We will go up. No question. The players we have can take us up at a canter.

If we don't go up I will commit ritual "Harry Carey".

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    Apparently didn't name a full bench for finanical reasons.
    They had high loser bonuses?

I think we've a strong squad. Would have been good to add to it obviously but I'm not concerned that we didn't. Let's just win the next 2 games and no one will remember this window happened.
    Mon the Hibs.

If not signing players for the sake of it means Hibs can/will offer the likes of Fyvie and McGregor a new contract then I applaud the lack of transfer activity this window just past.

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    I am very comfortable with what we have. No other team in this league has nearly the same strength and depth of quality.

Would rather we didn't make signings for the sake of making signings. Besides, I'd rather we banked the money for some big signings in the summer once we go up.

Assuming hanlon injury is not keeping him out that long (we definitely needed cover if he is) then I'm happy with squad.

We will skoooosh the league now and have saved money for the summer.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SKIPSTER07
    Quote Originally Posted by col02 View Post
    If not signing players for the sake of it means Hibs can/will offer the likes of Fyvie and McGregor a new contract then I applaud the lack of transfer activity this window just past.
    Exactly,i think a few fall for all the Sky hype. A club like Hibs cant have 20+ players for the first team imo.More than good enough to win this league.

I am happy with our squad. Only concern is cover for Hanlon in the derby.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilovehibs View Post
    I'm comfortable with McGregor and Fontaine for the derby. I still think we miss something in the final third with no Commons anymore and that would be my concern for the derby.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SKIPSTER07
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilovehibs View Post
    Im happy if Forster plays. He likes a goal at the bus shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    An odd statement if I might say so. Never understood how criticism of a salaried management team (Head of Football Operations,Head of Recruitment or whatever) is undermining our club.

If anything it's standing up for the club by challenging what the paid staff are delivering for their wages.
    I guess it depends on how that criticism is backed up.
    There's an earlier comment about being "lazy" that doesn't appear to have any justification.

Also a bit tired of the black and white approach - either bed wetting or happy clapping.
    This one reeks of the former.

I'd have liked some signings but who wouldn't? We're not desparate and in terms of the squad itself I'd say we have reasonable cover in most areas:
    Cummings, Holt, Graham, Keatings and Boyle up front.
    Keatings, Boyle, Humphrey, Shinnie and possibly McGinn (who seems a lot more potent now the ankle is sorted) attacking mid.
    McGinn, Fyvie, McGeogh, Bartley and Martin Centre Mid.
    McGregor, Hanlon, Fontaine and Forster at Centre back.

We're definitely light on full-backs and another injury at CB would worry me but we'd still field a very decent team if you took out 3 of those players even if 2 were in the same area (CB excepted with Hanlon out).

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Our squad is good enough, no one else strengthened more than us and the main factor in Dundee Utd challenging is if they keep Tony Andreu fit

Maybe our finances aren't as good as some people think

@hibs.net private member
    Would people rather we spent well beyond our means and have nothing left once we get up? The squad we have should be strong enough to compete in the top 6 of the premier league never mind win the championship.

Blog Entries
    I'm a wee bit surprised that Commons and Stokes were our only targets, at least the only ones we were linked with. Maybe there were others but that's academic now. I've already said I think we will win the league, maybe not at a canter, but the failed attempt to get Commons and/or Stokes is a wee dent in the feelgood factor. Still, a few wins in forthcoming matches will dispel any disappointment.

We will go up, what's the point signing championship players. We will need premier league players next year.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by allezsauzee View Post
    Would people rather we spent well beyond our means and have nothing left once we get up? The squad we have should be strong enough to compete in the top 6 of the premier league never mind win the championship.
    I'd like a team strong enough to win the championship comfortably AND get to the later stages of the cup this season. We may or may not have that in place already, but bringing in more creativity in the final third would certainly have gave us a better chance.

Two bad windows in a row but I would say the summer one was worse. Had we not got that wrong we would have had no need to be looking at Stokes.
    Hopefully Cummings remains fit and we go up. I think we will be ok but we need to lift our recruitment game next summer. I'm glad we didn't just buy for the sake of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arguably we have our best squad since being in the championship. I suspect Lennon may have said what he said to encourage the players to work harder.
    If they play at their ability each week, we'll go up without too much bother I think.

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Well one things for sure, the ITKs didn't know.
    They sure didn't...got it badly wrong

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough
    I think everyone would have liked one more quality signing I am sure there was plenty being done.After we pulverise Ayr everyone will move on and continue our unstoppable charge to the Premier.😆

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by swordin3 View Post
    I think everyone would have liked one more quality signing I am sure there was plenty being done.After we pulverise Ayr everyone will move on and continue our unstoppable charge to the Premier.😆
    Not if we get beat from Hearts the week after.

I have to say, I never bought in to Lennon's "the squad is bare bones" mantra, I think there is fantastic depth in the squad and any additional signings would purely have been to put the icing on the cake - so if the quality players weren't available and deals could not be struck, so be it.
    I understand the concerns that we haven't speculated but the reaction on here suggests we're struggling to pull a matchday squad together - far from it and often when I've looked at the bench for our matches, it's as strong a bench as I've seen Hibs have in probably over 5-6 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Virtually fans of all clubs in Scotland (and England for that matter) are moaning tonight that their club hasnt done enough in this window. The truth is very few clubs do much in the January window and its a bit of a non event despite Skys best efforts. Hadnt noticed our rivals in the Championship doing very much unless Ive missed it. We are the best team in this division, as our current position shows, havent seen anything in the transfer window that has changed that viewpoint. Very much as you were for me.

Left by mutual consent!
    There are only 14 games to go. We're eight points clear and now starting to motor under Lennon. Before Christmas I was far from confident we'd finish top but Lennon has now convinced me he's the man to get us over the line.

Fans get too obsessed with transfer deadline day. If you're snapping up as many players as possible in January (like Hearts) it's usually indicative that the club's in trouble and smacks of panic buying. Hibs on the other hand made a clever short term signing in Commons which paid off big style in the shape of two match-winning goals, while the signing of Humphreys has given us the extra width and quality of delivery we've been desperately in need of. We've also added a back-up keeper which might prove a shrewd move. I'm fine with all that. Yes an extra quality signing such as Stokes would have been good but we look more than strong enough to get out of this league without him.
    Last edited by G B Young; 01-02-2017 at 08:20 AM.