hibs.net Messageboard

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar

Statin tablets for high cholesterol

I got a call from the doc this morning saying my cholesterol levels are higher than normal and I’m in the amber zone for heart attack risk, great!

He recommended going on statins and I must admit I never really knew much about them or the benefits/risk etc.

I read a few things online and been wondering if they’re a good idea or not. My theory being if the doc recommends them then I’ve got to listen to the advice.

Without wanting to dig too deep into peoples personal health circumstances does anyone have any thoughts to share?

I’m only asking as I realise you have to take there’s tablets for the rest of your days!

I know it’s probably no a big deal but just wondered if people had any of their own experiences/advice.

Does improving your diet or exercise work for example as although my diet isn’t great it’s not too bad and I’m reasonably fit as I go cycling quite a lot.

Still overweight though so looking to get that down.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    i was on Simvastatin for several years before statins(especially simvastatin) started appearing in news articles etc a few years ago so i discussed with my GP my concerns about them and he said any risks attached are very much outweighed by the Benefits from taking them, he then put me on another statin called Atorvastatin saying they were a little less "direct" than the simvastatin, that was approx 5 years ago and i don't seem to have any "side effects" from using the Atorvastatin. it's more a risk not to take them

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Booked4Being-Ugly View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I got a call from the doc this morning saying my cholesterol levels are higher than normal and I’m in the amber zone for heart attack risk, great!

He recommended going on statins and I must admit I never really knew much about them or the benefits/risk etc.

I read a few things online and been wondering if they’re a good idea or not. My theory being if the doc recommends them then I’ve got to listen to the advice.

Without wanting to dig too deep into peoples personal health circumstances does anyone have any thoughts to share?

I’m only asking as I realise you have to take there’s tablets for the rest of your days!

I know it’s probably no a big deal but just wondered if people had any of their own experiences/advice.

Does improving your diet or exercise work for example as although my diet isn’t great it’s not too bad and I’m reasonably fit as I go cycling quite a lot.

Been on Simvastatin for a few years. Prevention is better than cure in this instance. Also a change of diet and lifestyle helps. Side effects include flatulence
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar

Here's my tuppenceworth.

(1) GPs are too busy to explain all the things you need to do to get your cholesterol level down, so they prescribe instead.

(2) Don't look to get your weight down - get it down, now. No ifs, buts or excuses. Day 1: Eat less, exercise more. Day 2: Exercise more, eat less. Day 3: See Day 1.

Good luck!

I've been on them for over 10 years. Can't say I've noticed any difference.

I think the idea of GPs prescribing them is to keep you healthy enough to keep you out of hospitals for as long as possible and for each visit to be as short as possible.

It's all about healthy life expectancy.

Whereas not so many years ago your average life expectancy was, say 68, you could expect to spend the last 5 years being dependent quite heavily on NHS care. And that's very expensive.

With things like statins, very cheap, and other improvements in healthcare people are living longer and only being lightly dependent on NHS care towards the end of their days.
    Space to let

My thoughts...

We live in a very dangerous age where there is all sort of information readily available for public consumption and not all of it is of merit.

Your concerns have merit though and would be worth discussing with a GP (rather than us) to get a proper opinion.

The concerns raised by others about an underfunded NHS putting pressure on GPs to take certain cheaper options have merit... but in my experience a short chat isn't out of the question. You're not going to get a 2 hour long consultation to go into everything in great detail but a 5 minute phone call to answer a few questions (ie obtain fully informed consent for the treatment he's considering giving you) isn't too much to ask.

@hibs.net private member
    One of the finest medical improvements of our age, take them. Yes try and improve diet and fitness but certainly population wide some won't and these things save thousands of lives

I started taking a red rice yeast supplement and that seems to lower cholesterol. I was just below five I think and after taking it went back down to under four