hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, they're just building the outer frame of the new stand around the current stand, then they're going to remove the current structure when the outer frame is finished.

IIRC, Liverpool did something similar.

EDIT: Here's a LINK to an article on the Liverpool Stand, with some photos that show how it was done.
    Liverpool and them being compared to each other? First time for everything I suppose.😀
    Last edited by Is It On....; 24-01-2017 at 10:58 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Is It On.... View Post
    Liverpool and them being compared to each other? First time for everything I suppose.😀
    They used to spout about having another one of their "special" relationships with Liverpool because they were lent that boy N'goo by Liverpool. Proved to be bang average and disappeared.

Skip forward a bit and Liverpool get even more special treatment by appearing on the Yams very own creditors list.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

the only way they can be paired with 'pool is the fact that hey bumped them for thousands of pounds. don't think that was ever repaid.

I forgot to mention that Liverpool's new stand is nearly three times the size of theirs.... so roughly the same as the Romanov proposal, I suppose ;-)

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    They used to spout about having another one of their "special" relationships with Liverpool because they were lent that boy N'goo by Liverpool. Proved to be bang average and disappeared.

Skip forward a bit and Liverpool get even more special treatment by appearing on the Yams very own creditors list.
    Michael Ngoo, Michael Ngoo,
    He's worse than Nade
    He's Michael Ngoo

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by ACLeith View Post
    I had a great excuse to skip school that day. Getting a course of dental treatment (too much sugar back then = lots of fillings). After one filling I arranged the next appointment for the morning of that game then of course my mouth was too sore to go into school later in the day!

Part way through the game wished I hadn't bothered.

That was 1965, IIRC.

They did us 3-0 and The Genius Jock Stein played Ron Yeats (Liverpool carthorse) ahead of Neil Martin at #9. Italy gubbed us 3-0 in a canter.

Open terrace in the driving rain - men were real men in those days.

None of these seats and roofs and concourses. Or 'catering'. Bovril and a pie and a macaroon bar - changing ends at half-time, and the smell of tobacco and liniment drifting across the stadium ...

Nostalgia - ye cannae beat it.

Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    the only way they can be paired with 'pool is the fact that hey bumped them for thousands of pounds. don't think that was ever repaid.
    Think they had to repay all "football debt".

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deansy View Post
    Almost the same as me but my teacher (Mr. Swann) wasn't standing behind me but he was standing behind the school entrance-door waiting for me the morning after - some xxxx had grassed me (probably a Jambo) !. It didn't go down too well when I tried to explain that it was only a maths prelim I'd missed so not as important as missing the real thing - which, in hindsight, probably wasn't the smartest thing to say to the head of the maths-department !

For a bean-pole, brylcreamed-nappered, humourless fxxxxr he certainly knew how to use the belt !
    The teachers held a limerick competition on a school exchange trip and the winning entry was:

There was a Maths teacher called Swann
    Whose hair had gone terribly wrong
    He said 'I not likey, because my hair gone all spikey
    And now my Brylcreem's all gone'.

That was at Boroughmuir.

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    more like what I thought.. I was working underground that day. positive. although Davie Cooper scored a screamer at Ibrox, and we'd beat them at ER 2 nil. we qualified , naw? where's Jonny ?
    There was a league cup tie October 1985 against old Hun we beat them 2-0 at ER and the 2nd leg at hunbrox they beat us 1-0 through a Davie Cooper screamer. I know the dates are correct as my daughter was born in the Monday and I was at the 2nd leg in the Wed

Quote Originally Posted by Kojock View Post
    There was a league cup tie October 1985 against old Hun we beat them 2-0 at ER and the 2nd leg at hunbrox they beat us 1-0 through a Davie Cooper screamer. I know the dates are correct as my daughter was born in the Monday and I was at the 2nd leg in the Wed
    Aye that was the semi after the famous Pierce O'Leary QF at ER. Aberdeen humped us in the final - a top team they had though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kojock View Post
    The midweek afternoon game during the power cuts was around the end of 1973 and I think was 0-0 and maybe a league cup match. There weren't cameras due to the power cuts and I think a crowd of 10,000

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    That was 1965, IIRC.

They did us 3-0 and The Genius Jock Stein played Ron Yeats (Liverpool carthorse) ahead of Neil Martin at #9. Italy gubbed us 3-0 in a canter.

Open terrace in the driving rain - men were real men in those days.

None of these seats and roofs and concourses. Or 'catering'. Bovril and a pie and a macaroon bar - changing ends at half-time, and the smell of tobacco and liniment drifting across the stadium ...

Nostalgia - ye cannae beat it.
    Yup 1965. Remember it well but don't ask me what I had for breakfast yesterday! But you'll know all about that Doddie eh?

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by houstonhibbee View Post
    The midweek afternoon game during the power cuts was around the end of 1973 and I think was 0-0 and maybe a league cup match. There weren't cameras due to the power cuts and I think a crowd of 10,000
    I was at the game and it was nearer 20000 at the game, it was indeed a league cup match and we were the holders

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan's Jaguar View Post
    The teachers held a limerick competition on a school exchange trip and the winning entry was:

There was a Maths teacher called Swann
    Whose hair had gone terribly wrong
    He said 'I not likey, because my hair gone all spikey
    And now my Brylcreem's all gone'.

That was at Boroughmuir.
    Aye, the very same teacher - I was at Boroughmuir 1972-76. To be fair to 'Swanny' he wasn't all that bad, I always thought he was really determined to try and see us all do well. But boy, he really did know how to use that belt, he was second only to 'Taz Taylor' whose use of it left big red welts on your hands for days !!

Did you go to Boroughmuir as well ?

@hibs.net private member
    Aye, the very same teacher - I was at Boroughmuir 1972-76. To be fair to 'Swanny' he wasn't all that bad, I always thought he was really determined to try and see us all do well. But boy, he really did know how to use that belt, he was second only to 'Taz Taylor' whose use of it left big red welts on your hands for days !!

Bunch of nancy boys - we used to get caned on the erchie, now those welts were sore.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar

I certainly did Alan!! we were in the same classes bud. Do you remember Brydon(English Teacher), jambo and very effeminate ?

@hibs.net private member BonnieFitbaTeam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringothedog View Post
    I certainly did Alan!! we were in the same classes bud. Do you remember Brydon(English Teacher), jambo and very effeminate ?

Legend. I recall him talking to two female pupils and one of them called him a dirty, old man. Without missing a beat he replied, "I resent the old"
    At Easter Road They Play.....

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    There generally weren't cameras at games in those days. I remember when I arrived at games in the 70s, one of the first things I did was to look at the TV gantry at the top of the old east terrace to see if the cameras were there, and to then figure out if it was for Saturday sportscene or Sunday scotsport. Also remember that our chairman and owner, Tom Hart, was very opposed to too much televised football so never really encouraged coverage (he might even have banned cameras, although I don't remember for certain). All that explains why there is such a dearth of tv footage of Hibs from that period.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Class View Post
    There generally weren't cameras at games in those days. I remember when I arrived at games in the 70s, one of the first things I did was to look at the TV gantry at the top of the old east terrace to see if the cameras were there, and to then figure out if it was for Saturday sportscene or Sunday scotsport. Also remember that our chairman and owner, Tom Hart, was very opposed to too much televised football so never really encouraged coverage (he might even have banned cameras, although I don't remember for certain). All that explains why there is such a dearth of tv footage of Hibs from that period.
    True, although it would be unusual not to have cameras at a hibs rangers game

Testimonial Due
    I never made the game as Ferranti had us working night-shift using generators in case of power cuts!

Also we had to sign on in Rose Street on Wednesday to get paid for the other days!!

When you think back, those were very grim times!

Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    I never made the game as Ferranti had us working night-shift using generators in case of power cuts!

Also we had to sign on in Rose Street on Wednesday to get paid for the other days!!

Did they not adjust winter time so that people could go to school/ work in daylight?

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Think they had to repay all "football debt".

I think you're getting confused with 'The Rangers International Football Club' (or New Hun to the rest of us)

Hearts didn't repay a penny to anybody.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    Almost the same as me but my teacher (Mr. Swann) wasn't standing behind me but he was standing behind the school entrance-door waiting for me the morning after - some xxxx had grassed me (probably a Jambo) !. It didn't go down too well when I tried to explain that it was only a maths prelim I'd missed so not as important as missing the real thing - which, in hindsight, probably wasn't the smartest thing to say to the head of the maths-department !

For a bean-pole, brylcreamed-nappered, humourless fxxxxr he certainly knew how to use the belt !
    I was taught by a Mr Swan and he sounds like you describe. A bad tempered old goat with a rather unpleasantly fragrant way about him.
    Last edited by givescotlandfreedom; 25-01-2017 at 06:10 PM.

I think you're getting confused with 'The Rangers International Football Club' (or New Hun to the rest of us)

Think this suggests otherwise - http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/13188935.Football_debt_settled_as_club_step_closer _to_fan_ownership/

Now a thread on sickbag discussing what they can do with FOH pledges after Budgie is paid back circa 2020/never, loandbehold some are now suggesting that the ****field and borstal parts can be rebuilt to hold up to another 6k folk,Ffs new stand ain't built yet and they are spraffing this ****. However they are definitely not deluded.!!! 😁

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post

It's an interesting point you make here about how grim things were in the 70s. It would be nice to point out to the keen Brexiteers how much things have improved since then and how much of that progress has been driven by the EU's social policies. When I hear people talking about the current 'economic recession' in between sessions on Facebook on their brand new iPhone 7 and driving round the corner to pick up a takeaway, I feel like giving them a good skelp on the lug.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringothedog View Post
    Certainly do remember 'Bertie' !! I liked him, he was always good for a laugh. True he was a tad effeminate (well, he was a Jambo !!) but he was just as horny as us teenage-boys - he and I got into trouble with Mr Romanes (mind, the 'Heidie' ??) for telling dirty jokes and being 'rude and offensive' with a girl in the class, who up until then, had joined in but then decided she didn't like it and reported us - fortunately it didn't go any further.

P.s sent you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by givescotlandfreedom View Post
    I was taught by a Mr Swan and he sounds like you describe. A bad tempered old goat with a rather unpleasantly fragrant way about him.
    Sadly, there's almost 30 years of a difference between you and me so Swanny (if it's the same guy) would be old by your time at school - when I knew him, I always felt he dressed too old-fashioned for his age as I genuinely thought he was possibly only in his late 20's/early 30's but it was like he was 'old before his time' ? He was also into wearing the old-style teacher's 'cloak' which I don't remember any of the other teachers wearing ??. Temperment-wise he wasn't the worst but he was no-nonsense and if he caught you not paying attention or talking to a mate, the belt would come out after one warning !. He was very fond of chess and used to run an 'After-school' club in his own time.
    Last edited by Deansy; 29-01-2017 at 09:27 AM.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar

They did pay the football debt .

They also paid part of their secured debt.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Alan62 View Post
    It's an interesting point you make here about how grim things were in the 70s. It would be nice to point out to the keen Brexiteers how much things have improved since then and how much of that progress has been driven by the EU's social policies. When I hear people talking about the current 'economic recession' in between sessions on Facebook on their brand new iPhone 7 and driving round the corner to pick up a takeaway, I feel like giving them a good skelp on the lug.
    Would that be the bad old days when we used to make stuff in this country ! The strikes were caused by the unions wanting to turn us into another soviet union, the EU's social policies were the square root of FA to do with how things have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanforlife View Post
    Now a thread on sickbag discussing what they can do with FOH pledges after Budgie is paid back circa 2020/never, loandbehold some are now suggesting that the ****field and borstal parts can be rebuilt to hold up to another 6k folk,Ffs new stand ain't built yet and they are spraffing this ****. However they are definitely not deluded.!!! 😁
    there's been threads on here suggesting we fill in our corners & we cant sell out on a regular basis