hibs.net Messageboard

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Results 271 to 288 of 288
  1. #271
    @hibs.net private member Jim44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    13,964
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by northstandhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Totally agree. Trump is increasingly appearing as if he is attempting to undermine well established world order institutions such as NATO and the WTO among others. It's exactly this type of rabid nationalism and potential tearing up of supra national world order agreements that Putin seeks. Very dangerous times unless Trump is reined in or replaced.

    glory glory
    Your right. Putin will be overdosing on popcorn these days.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #272
    Dow Jones index


  4. #273

    Dilbert guy on Trump's State of the Union

    President Trump’s Speech Last Night

    Posted March 1st, 2017 @ 9:51am in #Trump #WhenHub
    I didn’t see President Trump’s entire speech last night. I’m catching up this morning. Looks to me as if it was a base-clearing home run. Even Democrats are having trouble criticizing it. Surveys are positive. Stock market is up. CNN’s most credible anti-Trumper, Van Jones, said Trump was presidential, in a good way. Don Lemon got triggered into cognitive dissonance, hypothesizing that Trump’s presidential words don’t match his off-stage personality. In other words, it was a speech.

    Trump pulled a Khan maneuver. You remember when Clinton invited the Khan family to talk about their fallen hero son while criticizing Trump. Trump fell for that trap by responding to it, which allowed his critics to frame him as disrespectful to a Gold Star family.

    Last night, President Trump returned the favor. He wrapped part of his message around honoring a fallen hero. You can’t criticize any part of that without seeming disrespectful. And persuasion-wise, saying Ryan Owen’s memory is “etched into eternity” is one of the great presidential lines of all time. Simple and perfect. And thanks to President Trump’s speech, Ryan Owen’s name is in fact etched into eternity. The President predicted it, then he literally made it happen, right in front of us, without taking the focus off of Ryan. That’s as good as it gets.

    Trump did a High Ground Maneuver by referring to many of the criticisms of his administration as “trivial.” Now the people who keep making such criticisms are defining themselves to be in the unimportant part of the conversation. That is super-strong persuasion that I think most people missed. It’s a trap. Wait for more “trivial” criticisms, with the President’s supporters calling them out as they happen. It will make the critics look small and unimportant.

    Trump apparently opened his speech (I missed that part) by speaking out against some recent hate crimes in the United States. By putting that topic first, he made it a top priority, if only in our minds. That was the not-Hitler moment the world was hoping to see. I told you in prior posts and tweets that by this summer Trump would move the national consciousness from the illusion that he is Hitler to the opinion that his administration is not competent. By the end of the year, the critics will be saying some version of this: “Okay, he gets a lot done, and he isn’t Hitler, but we still don’t like it.” That story arc looks as if it accelerated last night, but I expect lots more Hitler talk before summer. Last night was big for the President, but only a first step toward improving his brand.


    Other fresh news tells us the Trump Administration is going to work more closely with black colleges to help them succeed. That isn’t quite the plan I blogged about, in which the country moves toward free college for all and puts African-Americans in the first wave because you get the most bang for the buck by helping first the communities that need it most. This was good pre-suasion from Trump ahead of the speech because it put observers in a non-Hitler frame of mind.


    Persuasion-wise, if your opponents are hitting you with the professionally-engineered pre-suasion of “dark” as the label for everything you say, the best response is to do something positive for African-Americans. Then let your critics call your plans “dark.” How’s that sound to your ear?


    If Trump maintains a constructive engagement with the black community, and continues to talk about unity, while his critics call him “dark,” who wins the persuasion? Trump’s critics might accidentally turn him into the third black president. (Counting Bill Clinton as first.) That’s obviously a big stretch, but you didn’t think he would get elected president either. Four years is a lot of time for a Master Persuader.

    http://blog.dilbert.com/post/157865134106/president-trumps-speech-last-night

  5. #274
    @hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    2,628
    Quote Originally Posted by (((Fergus))) View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    President Trump’s Speech Last Night

    Posted March 1st, 2017 @ 9:51am in #Trump #WhenHub
    I didn’t see President Trump’s entire speech last night. I’m catching up this morning. Looks to me as if it was a base-clearing home run. Even Democrats are having trouble criticizing it. Surveys are positive. Stock market is up. CNN’s most credible anti-Trumper, Van Jones, said Trump was presidential, in a good way. Don Lemon got triggered into cognitive dissonance, hypothesizing that Trump’s presidential words don’t match his off-stage personality. In other words, it was a speech.

    Trump pulled a Khan maneuver. You remember when Clinton invited the Khan family to talk about their fallen hero son while criticizing Trump. Trump fell for that trap by responding to it, which allowed his critics to frame him as disrespectful to a Gold Star family.

    Last night, President Trump returned the favor. He wrapped part of his message around honoring a fallen hero. You can’t criticize any part of that without seeming disrespectful. And persuasion-wise, saying Ryan Owen’s memory is “etched into eternity” is one of the great presidential lines of all time. Simple and perfect. And thanks to President Trump’s speech, Ryan Owen’s name is in fact etched into eternity. The President predicted it, then he literally made it happen, right in front of us, without taking the focus off of Ryan. That’s as good as it gets.

    Trump did a High Ground Maneuver by referring to many of the criticisms of his administration as “trivial.” Now the people who keep making such criticisms are defining themselves to be in the unimportant part of the conversation. That is super-strong persuasion that I think most people missed. It’s a trap. Wait for more “trivial” criticisms, with the President’s supporters calling them out as they happen. It will make the critics look small and unimportant.

    Trump apparently opened his speech (I missed that part) by speaking out against some recent hate crimes in the United States. By putting that topic first, he made it a top priority, if only in our minds. That was the not-Hitler moment the world was hoping to see. I told you in prior posts and tweets that by this summer Trump would move the national consciousness from the illusion that he is Hitler to the opinion that his administration is not competent. By the end of the year, the critics will be saying some version of this: “Okay, he gets a lot done, and he isn’t Hitler, but we still don’t like it.” That story arc looks as if it accelerated last night, but I expect lots more Hitler talk before summer. Last night was big for the President, but only a first step toward improving his brand.


    Other fresh news tells us the Trump Administration is going to work more closely with black colleges to help them succeed. That isn’t quite the plan I blogged about, in which the country moves toward free college for all and puts African-Americans in the first wave because you get the most bang for the buck by helping first the communities that need it most. This was good pre-suasion from Trump ahead of the speech because it put observers in a non-Hitler frame of mind.


    Persuasion-wise, if your opponents are hitting you with the professionally-engineered pre-suasion of “dark” as the label for everything you say, the best response is to do something positive for African-Americans. Then let your critics call your plans “dark.” How’s that sound to your ear?


    If Trump maintains a constructive engagement with the black community, and continues to talk about unity, while his critics call him “dark,” who wins the persuasion? Trump’s critics might accidentally turn him into the third black president. (Counting Bill Clinton as first.) That’s obviously a big stretch, but you didn’t think he would get elected president either. Four years is a lot of time for a Master Persuader.

    http://blog.dilbert.com/post/157865134106/president-trumps-speech-last-night
    Do you have an opinion of your own or do you just copy and paste other people's?

  6. #275
    Seems European countries are becoming more nervous and spending more on their defenses in light of Trump's remarks on Nato. This article explains why they are becoming ever more nervous of Russian warmongering. Nato is more relevant than ever methinks in these uncertain times.

    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...res/ar-AAogmry

    glory glory

  7. #276
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ma bit
    Posts
    6,841
    One of his central campaign promises - the repeal of Obamacare - falls at the first hurdle. Unable to win a vote in the House of Representatives, Trump pulls the plug, meaning Obamacare stays.
    Muslim ban going through the courts after it was blocked.
    It's all gone quiet on the Mexican border wall.
    Government appointees blocked by congress.
    Hillary Clinton not going to jail.
    Crazy false accusations from Trump about Obama wiretapping him.
    Forced to retract accusations of media cover ups of terrorist attacks that actually never happened.
    Investigation into Trump's dealings with Russia during the presidential campaign.


    It's the shambles we knew it would be, and were only three months in.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

  8. #277
    First Team Regular ACLeith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sunny Leith
    Age
    68
    Posts
    975
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One of his central campaign promises - the repeal of Obamacare - falls at the first hurdle. Unable to win a vote in the House of Representatives, Trump pulls the plug, meaning Obamacare stays.
    Muslim ban going through the courts after it was blocked.
    It's all gone quiet on the Mexican border wall.
    Government appointees blocked by congress.
    Hillary Clinton not going to jail.
    Crazy false accusations from Trump about Obama wiretapping him.
    Forced to retract accusations of media cover ups of terrorist attacks that actually never happened.
    Investigation into Trump's dealings with Russia during the presidential campaign.


    It's the shambles we knew it would be, and were only three months in.
    But apart from that he's doing OK? 😀😀

    I think your last point could be the one to pull him down. Watergate #2? Though any evidence that he knew of the involvement and covered it up may well have been "lost".

  9. #278
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    7,547
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One of his central campaign promises - the repeal of Obamacare - falls at the first hurdle. Unable to win a vote in the House of Representatives, Trump pulls the plug, meaning Obamacare stays.
    Muslim ban going through the courts after it was blocked.
    It's all gone quiet on the Mexican border wall.
    Government appointees blocked by congress.
    Hillary Clinton not going to jail.
    Crazy false accusations from Trump about Obama wiretapping him.
    Forced to retract accusations of media cover ups of terrorist attacks that actually never happened.
    Investigation into Trump's dealings with Russia during the presidential campaign.


    It's the shambles we knew it would be, and were only three months in.
    Mostly very true apart from the wall....tenders for the design are progressing on a short time scale so I reckon this is one thing we will see some progress on. Not exactly anything to crow about of course!

  10. #279
    @hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,924
    Quote Originally Posted by SiMar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mostly very true apart from the wall....tenders for the design are progressing on a short time scale so I reckon this is one thing we will see some progress on. Not exactly anything to crow about of course!
    I heard that the tendering was underway, but is funding in place?
    ​#PERSEVERED


  11. #280
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    7,547
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Class View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I heard that the tendering was underway, but is funding in place?
    Don't follow it that closely but pretty sure there is some initial billions allocated so don't think he will have trouble starting...whether the folly ever gets finished though who knows!

  12. #281
    Coaching Staff snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    8,678
    How do I buy shares in the "San Diego Brick & Concrete Company"?

  13. #282
    Executive order signed today to suspend 6 of Obamas climate change policies.

    Oh good.
    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

  14. #283
    @hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Chippenham/Bath
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,968
    Today was terrible news. Climate change is the greatest threat to humanity and civilisation. And this clown just signed it all aaay for $$$$.

    J

  15. #284
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    7,547
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Executive order signed today to suspend 6 of Obamas climate change policies.

    Oh good.
    The States really is an odd place...Trump has struck down a number of policies, some of which like the Clean Power Plan are not even fully enacted as they are stuck in the courts.

    I think this means this will prevent the plan being cancelled before it's enacted and if sanctioned by the courts will only then be subject to Trumps cancellation which will be challenged in court before it can be applied...all of this sounds like it could take a few years by which time the next president might try and cancel that cancellation but will need to wait on the courts to tell him if it's even been cancelled?🤣

    Anyway the US regulations sound like a right royal mess (no surprise considering the above) so not sure if this makes that much difference in the long run. I think we will need to rely on guys like Musk to deliver the technological game changers that will make all the presidents meddling obsolete anyway.

  16. #285
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,599
    Quote Originally Posted by SiMar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The States really is an odd place...Trump has struck down a number of policies, some of which like the Clean Power Plan are not even fully enacted as they are stuck in the courts.

    I think this means this will prevent the plan being cancelled before it's enacted and if sanctioned by the courts will only then be subject to Trumps cancellation which will be challenged in court before it can be applied...all of this sounds like it could take a few years by which time the next president might try and cancel that cancellation but will need to wait on the courts to tell him if it's even been cancelled?🤣

    Anyway the US regulations sound like a right royal mess (no surprise considering the above) so not sure if this makes that much difference in the long run. I think we will need to rely on guys like Musk to deliver the technological game changers that will make all the presidents meddling obsolete anyway.
    Sounds like Trump is using his time productively!

  17. #286
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ma bit
    Posts
    6,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Executive order signed today to suspend 6 of Obamas climate change policies.

    Oh good.
    Already announced huge cut (around a third if memory serves) to the budget of the Environmental Protection Agency in his recent budget plan, too.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

  18. #287
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ma bit
    Posts
    6,841
    General Mike Flynn has offered to testify what he knows about Trump's pre-election dealing with Russia, in exchange for immunity from prosecution. So far he's told to bolt by the FBI.


    Lock him up. Lock him up
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

  19. #288
    Coaching Staff Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Vanerama
    Posts
    30,142
    Mike Flynn indicates he would testify in Trump-Russia inquiry in exchange for immunity

    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...y_to_clipboard
    Buy nothing online unless you click here first. I'm already £1,497.46 better off!



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved