hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tourist Tax

Quote Originally Posted by Kavinho View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So in the long run, "we" (the people) lose out as all cities start to implement these tourist/resort taxes, and some end up priced out of traveling to certain places.

These taxes don't really help in any way.

That extra 10er added to your bill for your long weekend stay (let's say) would just as likely be spent in the local economy either in a bar or a tourist shop.
    All we're talking about here is a few quid on an individual basis but in total for the community goes some way to contribute to the services the tourists use.

Your average local in Edinburgh takes advantage of all the local amenities and pays around 1200 a year council tax, 3 or 4 a day in local taxes. Your average tourist currently takes advantage of the same local amenities and pays nothing. A pound or two a day doesn't seem, to me, to be unreasonable although as I said earlier I'd like to see something based on percentages.

I'm off to San Francisco tomorrow:

"Sales tax is 8.75 percent; hotel fees in San Francisco include 14 percent occupancy tax and 11.5 percent Tourism Improvement District assessment (depending on the location of the property)."

I knew they did it so I just looked it up (jings I didn't realise how much but puts a quid a day into perspective) but it didn't cross my mind when deciding to go.

When I'm abroad I don't mind, I think it's fair I chip in. I see no reason visitors to Edinburgh shouldn't do the same.

2. Log in to remove the advert

So in the long run, "we" (the people) lose out as all cities start to implement these tourist/resort taxes, and some end up priced out of traveling to certain places.

That extra 10er added to your bill for your long weekend stay (let's say) would just as likely be spent in the local economy either in a bar or a tourist shop.
    Not really. Most people will spend what they will spend regardless of whether they're charged an extra tenner for their hotel.

You've probably been paying 'tourist taxes' for years and never noticed because it's either lumped into the cost of a package holiday or your hotel bill. A quick google search suggests you'd have to be on a pretty strict budget if you were priced out based on it:

Catalonia - between 0.50 and 2.50 per night
    Rome - Between 5 and 7 per night depending on star rating
    Prague - Between 0.85 and 3 per night
    Amsterdam - 5% of accomodation cost
    Paris - Between 0.20 and 1.50 per night
    Berlin - 5% of accomodation cost
    Florida - 5% of accomkdation cost
    Dubai - Between 1.77 and 3.33 per room per night
    Lisbon - 1 per night

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    While traveling in South East Asia I noticed that the people there hate tatty bank notes, especially if torn or missing corners and they absolutely detest old versions of $20, $50 or $100 dollar bills. I kept a few of the worst notes handy in my wallet so that I could enrage annoying street vendors trying to sell me unwanted souvenirs. I would agree to buy something and get them all excited then hand over their worst nightmare of a dollar bill.

On departing one of the countries airports I remember a departure tax being sprung upon us after the check in desk but before security. The official at the kiosk had a smug look as he asked for the tax so I handed him an ancient ripped $100 bill with a missing corner and several felt pen scribbles. I had tried to offload that particular Benjamin several times and nobody would accept it even although they desperately wanted to sell me something. He was apoplectic with rage but I insisted it was all we had left. I forget which country but it was one of Laos, Cambodia or Vietnam and worth paying the tax just to see the look on the guy's face.

I have been tourist taxed all over the world and I think it's reasonable for Edinburgh to do something similar. Better than a poll tax!