hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-fife-38975818

and so it continues

Two footballers branded rapists by a judge in a civil action have begun an appeal which could lead to a full legal challenge against the finding.

Former Dundee United teammates David Goodwillie and David Robertson were ordered to pay damages to Denise Clair following a hearing in January.
    We obviously don't know the specifics of the application but, based on what we do know, I would think it's extremely unlikely they'll get funding from legal aid.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FranckSauzee4
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I think the point about women putting themselves in increased positions of danger is both a valid and invalid one.

On one hand some responsibility re alcohol and/or drug consumption would go a long way to removing people from vulnerable positions. I also take the point about the poor relationship with alcohol in Scotland. On the flip side if a lady is walking home at night and chooses to use a side street rather than a well lit main road should she be partially responsible if she is attacked and raped? I'd apply the same thinking to someone who has had too much to drink. Ultimately an error in judgement may have been made, it may be a one off or a regular occurence, but the decision to commit the crime of rape lies with the rapist and the rapist alone.
    I'm not certain the decision to commit the crime of rape is as clear cut as all that PB.

Things have changed in that respect in the wording - previously there used to have to be some form of overcoming the will of someone to have sex with them. That's a deliberate act.

Now you can be guilty for not proactively gaining consent. Thinking back to when I was a lad it is never quite as clear as everyone agreeing to what's about to happen is it? most of the time it just gets to that point and there may have been some persuading required at times! When you chuck in the modern approach to selling stories and claiming compensation a lot more people are at risk of being technically a rapist - particularly if they are well known but also if they are not.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    I'm not certain the decision to commit the crime of rape is as clear cut as all that PB.

Things have changed in that respect in the wording - previously there used to have to be some form of overcoming the will of someone to have sex with them. That's a deliberate act.

Now you can be guilty for not proactively gaining consent. Thinking back to when I was a lad it is never quite as clear as everyone agreeing to what's about to happen is it? most of the time it just gets to that point and there may have been some persuading required at times! When you chuck in the modern approach to selling stories and claiming compensation a lot more people are at risk of being technically a rapist - particularly if they are well known but also if they are not.
    Your post brought this back to my mind.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-38917557

Not quite as cut and dried as you'd think.

DG just signed for clyde.

@hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    DG just signed for clyde.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-fife-39495940
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    No need for Mason to go public on this IMO. While he may have his own strong views on the situation, the cynic in me says he is using this as a vote-catching opportunity.
    FWIW, I don't like Goodwillie and in no way am I defending him or any of his actions in the past.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    No need for Mason to go public on this IMO. While he may have his own strong views on the situation, the cynic in me says he is using this as a vote-catching opportunity.
    FWIW, I don't like Goodwillie and in no way am I defending him or any of his actions in the past.
    Mason has form for latching on to what he thinks is feminism.

An organisation I'm involved with has crossed swords with him in the past. The facts of that case fit with this.
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 05-04-2017 at 11:25 AM.