hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar

George McCluskey talks about Souness

George McCluskey talks about that kick from Souness.

https://twitter.com/bbcsportscot/sta...10049523298309

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quite enjoyed listening to McCluskey. He told some good stories during the interview. I liked hearing about the Stein -Fallon double act when trying to persuade the young George's parents that Celtic were the club for him to sign for ( at a time when other suitors were sniffing around).

McCluskey also said that John Greig advised him he was going to break his legs on his debut in an old firm game and then retracted the statement afterwards, saying it's all about the psychoogical edge and not personal.

Decent player McCluskey was in his prime, the version we saw at Hibs possessed a lot of skill, but was as slow as a carthorse. Given that he was still in his 20's, I suspect his lifestyle wasn't exactly comparable to that of a modern day player.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfuddyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quite enjoyed listening to McCluskey. He told some good stories during the interview. I liked hearing about the Stein -Fallon double act when trying to persuade the young George's parents that Celtic were the club for him to sign for ( at a time when other suitors were sniffing around).

McCluskey also said that John Greig advised him he was going to break his legs on his debut in an old firm game and then retracted the statement afterwards, saying it's all about the psychoogical edge and not personal.

Decent player McCluskey was in his prime, the version we saw at Hibs possessed a lot of skill, but was as slow as a carthorse. Given that he was still in his 20's, I suspect his lifestyle wasn't exactly comparable to that of a modern day player.
    He's bang on about Souness - pretend hard man, only reserved it for the pitch where there was a referee. Like Roy Keane - played on the ego and reputation. Both great players but can't help thinking because the hype made other players stand off.

Souness in particular wouldn't stand a chance with a Doug Rougvie for example - he'd run a mile !

It was a cowardly kick and far from the first or last time Souness took advantage of a helpless opponent ..... I cant name the game, but one where he was on the ground and deliberately near enough two footed an opponent in the face was an incident I remember, how the hell he wasn't sent off only the ref will know, he never thought twice about going over the ball either.

His talent was never in doubt, the fact that he was a nasty little thug on the park isn't either IMO. Football has been full of hard men over the years, but not too many who were as nasty, sneaky or malicious as Souness.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 17-01-2017 at 12:04 PM.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    He's bang on about Souness - pretend hard man, only reserved it for the pitch where there was a referee. Like Roy Keane - played on the ego and reputation. Both great players but can't help thinking because the hype made other players stand off.

Souness in particular wouldn't stand a chance with a Doug Rougvie for example - he'd run a mile !
    Considering he broke a players jaw in the tunnel during a European tie, I think you will find that statement is incorrect. Souness was a hard man no doubt about it.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lofarl
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Considering he broke a players jaw in the tunnel during a European tie, I think you will find that statement is incorrect. Souness was a hard man no doubt about it.

Nope. That just reinforces my opinion that he's a coward too. He strikes me as one of those kids you used to see at school that would start something within eyesight of an authority figure, knowing full well they'd break it up.

Probably kicked him in the face when he bent down to tie his laces.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Probably kicked him in the face when he bent down to tie his laces.
    Exactly. A guy broke my nose once by hitting me with a haymaker from behind me. I turned round and he was halfway down the road. Just because you break a guy's jaw in the tunnel doesn't make you a hard man. Souness was a sly individual and would never go in fair to a 50/50. Cowardly is the correct word.

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    His most cowardly tackle for me was when he broke Siggi Jonsson's leg during a 1-0 win for Scotland in Reykjavik in 1986.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Exactly. A guy broke my nose once by hitting me with a haymaker from behind me. I turned round and he was halfway down the road. Just because you break a guy's jaw in the tunnel doesn't make you a hard man. Souness was a sly individual and would never go in fair to a 50/50. Cowardly is the correct word.
    Yeh .... reminds me of playing footie up the park when I was 15, there was a guy playing who we all knew but didn't usually play football with us, the game hadn't been played in a bad spirit or anything, but as I bent down to pick up the ball to take a throw in he deliberately booted me straight in the face, I still have a scar on my lip from it ...... I suppose some folk are just born bloody nasty.

First Team Regular
    Sparked a riot in turkey when planting a flag in the middle of the pitch

Not bad for a coward!

Souness at his snidey best

https://youtu.be/ygVgxYa3mlo

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewboy View Post

Not bad for a coward!

Whilst surrounded by riot polis.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewboy View Post

Not bad for a coward!
    Fenerbahce v Galatasaray, one of the most vicious and hate filled derby matches in world football ..... for a guy who had played in the Old Firm derby he would have been far from unaware of the consequences such a provocative action could have when it comes to a rivalry like that, not only a coward but stupid with it then.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green with envy View Post
    His most cowardly tackle for me was when he broke Siggi Jonsson's leg during a 1-0 win for Scotland in Reykjavik in 1986.
    Numerous terrible tackles usually over the ball which couldnt be more cowardly. I see the youtube one against Kiev I think it was. Can also remember an atrocious tackle on Peter Nicholas V Wales. Also remember a melee in an Everton derby where he sneakily booted one of the everton players from behind and scuttled away. Some very cowardly actions IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Numerous terrible tackles usually over the ball which couldnt be more cowardly. I see the youtube one against Kiev I think it was. Can also remember an atrocious tackle on Peter Nicholas V Wales. Also remember a melee in an Everton derby where he sneakily booted one of the everton players from behind and scuttled away. Some very cowardly actions IMO.
    Think that's the one I was on about, deliberately booted him in the face, as you say absolutely atrocious.

Just out of interest how many time have you watched Souness live in his heyday? I can tell you that Souness was a hard man on the pitch, never shirked a tackle, looked after his team mates and could still play a bit too. Your coward reference is laughable.

What is surprising about that clip is the lack of reaction from the victims team mates, if you saw a tackle like that on a team mate your first reaction would surely be to pile into the bugger.

Just out of interest how many time have you watched Souness live in his heyday? I can tell you that Souness was a hard man on the pitch, never shirked a tackle, looked after his team mates and could still play a bit too. Your coward reference is laughable.
    While he was no doubt a physical hard player, he was absolutely cowardly in many of the tackles he put in. Couldnt be much more cowardly than going over the top of the ball when the other player is going for the ball.

Even if you are prepared to accept that Souness wasn't a coward there is no defence of some of his actions, there's a difference between imposing yourself on an opponent with a hard challenge or coming to the defence of your team mates and deliberately setting out to injure a fellow professional, some of his attacks on opponents in matches have had the possibility to cause career threatening injuries .... look at the challenge in the wee clip posted on here, 6 inches lower and he could have wrecked the guys knee.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar

A BOOKING ?? That was a ****ing jail sentence !!

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Even if you are prepared to accept that Souness wasn't a coward there is no defence of some of his actions, there's a difference between imposing yourself on an opponent with a hard challenge or coming to the defence of your team mates and deliberately setting out to injure a fellow professional, some of his attacks on opponents in matches have had the possibility to cause career threatening injuries .... look at the challenge in the wee clip posted on here, 6 inches lower and he could have wrecked the guys knee.
    I didn't say there was? I said he wasn't a coward.

In his heyday - and not counting the hun days - I only saw him in the flesh on Scotland duty. I saw plenty of him on the telly though going into many 50/50s where he would hold back slightly then go over the ball into the opponent. That isn't hard. It's the mark of a coward. Your biased defence of the man is the most laughable aspect of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    While he was no doubt a physical hard player, he was absolutely cowardly in many of the tackles he put in. Couldnt be much more cowardly than going over the top of the ball when the other player is going for the ball.
    So the hardmen of bygone eras are all cowards now are they or just those you choose to dislike? Tackles like that were commonplace then.

In his heyday - and not counting the hun days - I only saw him in the flesh on Scotland duty. I saw plenty of him on the telly though going into many 50/50s where he would hold back slightly then go over the ball into the opponent. That isn't hard. It's the mark of a coward. Your biased defence of the man is the most laughable aspect of this thread.
    Oh the irony!

Oh the irony!
    Why would I be biased in favour of calling him a coward? I had that view way back before he was involved with the hun. Coward of a man.

Why would I be biased in favour of calling him a coward? I had that view way back before he was involved with the hun. Coward of a man.
    Sure you did, you don't like him so that's where your bias comes from, I do like him, so you are suggesting that's where mine comes from.

Souness one of my heroes, but not one of yours. I get it. Let 's call it a draw

Sure you did, you don't like him so that's where your bias comes from, I do like him, so you are suggesting that's where mine comes from.

Souness one of my heroes, but not one of yours. I get it. Let 's call it a draw
    No worries. I actually don't mind Souness's punditry and quite like him. My views are on the player and based on what I saw both live and on the box. And I do understand it can be hard to find too much fault with heroes. We all do it.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Bob Crampsey one of my heroes, and he spoke words to the effect that Souness was the dirtiest player he ever saw, because of the number of opposing players' careers which were ended by his 'tackles'.

So the hardmen of bygone eras are all cowards now are they or just those you choose to dislike? Tackles like that were commonplace then.
    They may have been commonplace but they were cowardly tackles dont see how you can dispute that.