hibs.net Messageboard

New sheep pen proposal

Sheepies

Another attempt by Aberdeen to build a 20k stadium, no price or funding stated though.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Looks pretty far out of the city, which would be my main objection if I was a Dons supporter.

As has been said so often before, it reminds you how grateful we should be that we didn't end up at Straiton.

Its a shame the Sheep have to move from Pittodrie .... these out of town stadiums never have the same character as the original grounds, its invariable that the local vibe will be lost which is a big part of a clubs identity.

It always seems to me that local councils don't do enough to help clubs in these situations, lets face it for a lot of towns nobody would know where the hell they were or even have heard of them if it wasn't for the local football club, Aberdeen FC more than most have put Aberdeen on the map and that should be recognised by the powers that be when it comes to finding a decent location for them.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its a shame the Sheep have to move from Pittodrie .... these out of town stadiums never have the same character as the original grounds, its invariable that the local vibe will be lost which is a big part of a clubs identity.

It always seems to me that local councils don't do enough to help clubs in these situations, lets face it for a lot of towns nobody would know where the hell they were or even have heard of them if it wasn't for the local football club, Aberdeen FC more than most have put Aberdeen on the map and that should be recognised by the powers that be when it comes to finding a decent location for them.
    Might not be quite as bad for them. Central Aberdeen is a joke to negotiate, and a lot of their fan base will come from rural Aberdeenshire, Ie Stonehaven, Fraserburgh, Peterhead so perhaps it will be easier for these guys to get parked etc.

There's no way the council should be funding any of this. They had their chance to re-develop Pittodrie and blew it.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Stadium design looks good (should keep the atmosphere inside with the corners filled), but it's a poor location. Makes more sense than the 30k plan they had a few years back.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    It's been dragging on forever this. They seem to have been moving then not moving for decades.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    It's a terrible place for a stadium. A good stadium should be walking distance - this is on the outskirts of Westhill which doesn't have much there and is too far for walking distance - the only ways to get to this would be bus or car. Part of the whole Saturday experience is a couple of pints before the game and a wander back afterwards, this would be a nightmare. Could see average attendances drop notably for Aberdeen as if you're a casual fan then it'd be just too much hassle to get to.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

A lot of NIMBY's where they are proposing the stadium. It's quite a way out of town.

I agree it will loose its character not to mention the pre match and post match bevie.

Testimonial Due
    I mean it looks good etc, but these grounds just have something lacking.

Makes me so thankful we never moved to straiton. I would say that our home is a major part of our identity, and so i would put a big premium on staying in it - i eould even say a relegation lile this would have been worth it to keep the holy ground and not move out of town.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Don't see how the location is a problem, you just leave the pub half an hour earlier.

Unless you live within walking distance of ER chances are you get the bus if you're going for a few pints before or after the game anyways. Not much different for them.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Been to Pittodrie once and not a fan. The new stadium looks good from the plans and will be easier for both away fans and those outside the city to get to it.

Plus, we'll have the biggest football stadium in Scotland outside the OF once it's built.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    There's no way the council should be funding any of this. They had their chance to re-develop Pittodrie and blew it.
    An extra fiver on the council tax should cover it

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Don't see how the location is a problem, you just leave the pub half an hour earlier.

Unless you live within walking distance of ER chances are you get the bus if you're going for a few pints before or after the game anyways. Not much different for them.
    A city centre location is undoubtedly more special.

The buzz before the game is better, and there is something brilliant about a football crowd spilling into 'normal' life again after the match.

It puts football at the heart of the community, as it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    Been to Pittodrie once and not a fan. The new stadium looks good from the plans and will be easier for both away fans and those outside the city to get to it.

Plus, we'll have the biggest football stadium in Scotland outside the OF once it's built.
    Only been once but seemed a long walk including rough terrain and sandy hills

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Functional stadium but as many have said, nothing nearby which makes it soulless. Makes me thankful that Hands on Hibs helped STF and Douglas Cromb see the light instead of moving us to Straiton. I have propaganda that pretty much says that Hibs had to move or would fold.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    I wasn't suggesting the council put in any money. I was suggesting that they could do more to help the club find a site closer to the city centre. It seems to me that if a club brings success to a town the council cant wait to revel in it, but as soon as a club wants help with planning permission etc the snobbery sets in and they don't want to know.

I do not of course include our own local 'establishment club' in that school of thought, they apparently can even build stuff without pesky inconveniences like building permits.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    An extra fiver on the council tax should cover it
    Don't give Edinburgh Council any ideas!
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post

Queen's Park might disagree.

@hibs.net private member TrinityHibs's Avatar
    They do not have the money to build it. Their funding model relied on oil money and a cash receipt from Pitoddrie.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

A quick search finds at least 5 pubs within a quarter of a mile of the new stadium just now. An enterprising pub company would get an application in as soon as possible
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Might seem soulless, but, my local team moved out of the city and were getting 3-4000 per home game, new stadium, outside city, near motorway,trams and alot of parking spaces, now they are getting between 11-15,000. Yep just a wee example but it worked for them, Aberdeen already have the fan base and if they can move out there then I think there would be a real chance of their crowds taking a significant jump, as someone has mentioned it will be situated on the right side of the city for many of their fans. I would go as far to say that they would have quite a few sellouts with a 20,000 stadium there.

If they're interested, there's a 25k capacity stadium, already fitted with red seats, available in Darlington.

One previous (not so) careful owner. He's now doing time, so no point contacting him.

I think it's now owned by the local rugby club but I'd imagine they'd be willing to sell at a reasonable price, as they have no hope in hell of ever filling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    If they're interested, there's a 25k capacity stadium, already fitted with red seats, available in Darlington.

One previous (not so) careful owner. He's now doing time, so no point contacting him.

I think it's now owned by the local rugby club but I'd imagine they'd be willing to sell at a reasonable price, as they have no hope in hell of ever filling it.
    I don't see why they need to move. It looks like a very expensive vanity project to me. They should stick where they are.

Quote Originally Posted by houstonhibbee View Post
    Only been once but seemed a long walk including rough terrain and sandy hills
    Is Sandy Hills not the young left back?

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post

You could say the same for the Toni Macaroni stadium in Livingston ..... perhaps ICT could make a bid for it and move it up north to replace their ****hole

You could say the same for the Toni Macaroni stadium in Livingston ..... perhaps ICT could make a bid for it and move it up north to replace their ****hole

TBF, Livi actually still play at their stadium.

Darlington moved from their traditional home to this out of town stadium, very rarely had crowds higher than 10% of it's capacity, their owner (the one whose idea it was to build the new stadium) was jailed for fraud, then the football club later went bust.

The term 'white elephant' was made for The Darlington Arena