hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pogba

I fail to see all the hype with him. 100 mill, yir huvin a laugh, every time I have seen him play he has been woeful, yesterday was no surprise, maybe United isnt the team he should be playing for, I am also pretty underwhelmed with United.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I fail to see all the hype with him. 100 mill, yir huvin a laugh, every time I have seen him play he has been woeful, yesterday was no surprise, maybe United isnt the team he should be playing for, I am also pretty underwhelmed with United.
    I wouldn't go so far as to say he has been woeful every time I've seen him play. He was good against Hull and had a blinding first half against WBA (I think it was them but wasn't paying much attention). Not been so good against anybody else.

Whoever decided he could leave ManU first time round had a decent eye for a player.

Never really rated him. He's obviously got big talent but nowhere near what they paid for him. Would take Christian Eriksen over him any day going by this season's form.

Pogba is an enigma, he wanted guaranteed football at Man U 1st time around which Fergie could give him, so he ran his contract down. He flourished in Italy but you can be assured if Fergie was still in charge, he wouldn't be there for a 2nd time, he seems very inconsistent, 2 brilliant games, then 2 howlers and that's his problem, you don't know what your getting from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    Whoever decided he could leave ManU first time round had a decent eye for a player.

I don't think anyone decided he could leave per se, Utd decided to bring Scholes out of retirement to play in midfield at Pogba's expense, he quite rightly told them to ram it and went to Juve. To be fair to Utd, Scholes was probably the best midfielder in the world over the past decade at that time, so can see why they went down the route they did when they couldn't really find anyone to replace him.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Pogba is an enigma, he wanted guaranteed football at Man U 1st time around which Fergie could give him, so he ran his contract down. He flourished in Italy but you can be assured if Fergie was still in charge, he wouldn't be there for a 2nd time, he seems very inconsistent, 2 brilliant games, then 2 howlers and that's his problem, you don't know what your getting from him.
    I don't think the stats match that though - he had a pretty slow start but has been performing very well and consistently over the last 10 games or so - though he did have a poor game yesterday.

There was a BBC article last week going through his stats and he was making a major contribution largely in an attacking sense - he had played more forward passes in the final third than any other EPL players, including 3 assists and 3 goals in that period.

The fee really isn't his concern but I think he will prove to be a key player for them - I don't think its true that you don't know what you are going to get one week to the next on the whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    I don't think the stats match that though - he had a pretty slow start but has been performing very well and consistently over the last 10 games or so - though he did have a poor game yesterday.

There was a BBC article last week going through his stats and he was making a major contribution largely in an attacking sense - he had played more forward passes in the final third than any other EPL players, including 3 assists and 3 goals in that period.

The fee really isn't his concern but I think he will prove to be a key player for them - I don't think its true that you don't know what you are going to get one week to the next on the whole.

Again, all about opinions Andy, I think Pogba is a great talent but I feel he needs to be more consistent, he had a pretty slow start at Man U this season and seems to be getting into his stride but every now and then he throws in a stinker like yesterday, he reminds me of Yaya Toure in the way he plays, big strong, can tackle and score great goals.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    He hits the occasional holywood pass and scores the occasional screamer but apart from that he's nothing special.

From what I've seen he can do everything reasonably well, but doesn't really excel in any area. His dribbling and defensive ability and overrated IMO.

He must have the best agent in world football to have generated so much hype.

First Team Regular ArmadaleHibs's Avatar
    The fee he joined united for is all that's wrong with the game in England, Spain and Germany. It will eventually be the un-doing of football. Crazy money for a decent but not worldly player

Ggtth

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    I'm with the OP. There are any number of midfield players I'd have in my team before Pogba. I'm not sure I'd ever want someone who might or might not turn up. He was awful yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    I'm with the OP. There are any number of midfield players I'd have in my team before Pogba. I'm not sure I'd ever want someone who might or might not turn up. He was awful yesterday.
    You would have no one then because all players have bad games.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Not all players cost £90,000,000 and for that money their worst game should still be good enough.

The big price tag puts a lot of pressure on players IMO. All eyes are on him to be a mega superstar due to the crazy, record breaking amount of money Man Utd have paid for him. Torres was the same, £50m (record breaking at the time) was paid for him and everybody expected him to be scoring a barrel load but it took absolutely ages for him to get his first Chelsea goal.

The pressure and high level of expectations IMO can be a real weight for these players to carry. They know the media etc have built them up and they know all eyes are on them. Pogba was trending on twitter all day yesterday, theres his face on advertising boards all around the pitch etc etc, he knows he's a big deal and people are expecting something special. Now I know he's an experienced proffesional and should by now know how to handle the pressure playing on a big stage but even the most experienced of players can struggle with such weight on their shoulders. He's playing in front of millions of people, everything he does will be scrutinised.
    Last edited by 21.05.2016; 16-01-2017 at 12:32 PM.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Pogba is class. Whether or not he is worth what they paid for him. is irrelevant. Man Utd wanted him, and that's how much it cost to get him. I don't think there's a team in the world who wouldn't want Pogba, not because of his commercial value, or the dab, or his fancy haircuts, but because he's a great player.

He didn't have a good game yesterday, doesn't mean he's *****. I've seen Messi in Argentina games doing **** all, it happens.

Not worth the money they paid for him but he is still an excellent player.

For the money Man Utd paid they should have went for Marco Verratti instead who is a better player IMO. Whether or not he would have left PSG is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's easy to criticise Manchester United players for underperforming. However, it must be hard when even people that stay hundreds of miles away from Manchester and apparently have no leanings towards the club have acceptable standards regarding your performance.
    As a professional coach, if one of my players lost their man that many times I'd deem it unacceptable as it is unacceptable. Nothing to do with my leanings or what team the player is on.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    For the money Man Utd paid they should have went for Marco Verratti instead who is a better player IMO. Whether or not he would have left PSG is another story.
    They sold Pogba for 90 mil and replaced him with Miralem Pjanic for £30 odd million, IMO one of the top 3 or 4 midfielders in the world, can do everything, dribble, pass, defend, attack, shoot, tackle, phenomenal vision and fantastic movement and is absolutely brilliant at free kicks and set piece delivery. I love Serie A and he used to play for Roma so have watched him a lot over past few seasons. Someone at Juve will be laughing their way to the bank, £60 mil surplus and a better player to replace the one that went for 90 mil

Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    They sold Pogba for 90 mil and replaced him with Miralem Pjanic for £30 odd million, IMO one of the top 3 or 4 midfielders in the world, can do everything, dribble, pass, defend, attack, shoot, tackle, phenomenal vision and fantastic movement and is absolutely brilliant at free kicks and set piece delivery. I love Serie A and he used to play for Roma so have watched him a lot over past few seasons. Someone at Juve will be laughing their way to the bank, £60 mil surplus and a better player to replace the one that went for 90 mil
    They signed Pjanic months before they sold Pogba. That was going to happen regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Pogba is class. Whether or not he is worth what they paid for him. is irrelevant. Man Utd wanted him, and that's how much it cost to get him. I don't think there's a team in the world who wouldn't want Pogba, not because of his commercial value, or the dab, or his fancy haircuts, but because he's a great player.

He didn't have a good game yesterday, doesn't mean he's *****. I've seen Messi in Argentina games doing **** all, it happens.
    It's not irrelevant, it's what the OP was about in the first place. Personally I don't think he's worth the money they paid for him, good player though he is.

They signed Pjanic months before they sold Pogba. That was going to happen regardless.
    I'm pretty sure they knew they were losing Pogba to Utd at that point.

Testimonial Due
    Juventus sold Pogba , for 90 Million and paid 30 m for a very good croation replacement but they spent 90 M on an attacker . if you ask any Juventus supporter they would have Pogba back in a second.

The game is slower in Italy and more technical.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?

You don't say. I'm not talking about someone having a bad game every now and again. I'm talking about a player whose erratic and uneven form form one game to the next is affecting the team's performance and results.

Right now from what I've seen Pogba can't be relied upon to consistently produce a performance bearing any relation to the huge fee Man Utd paid for his contract. One game he plays well, you think maybe he's getting it together, then he has a horror show like yesterday. The next game he looks half-way competent, then he has a dreadful first half and a not bad second the following game. Then he has two good games, then another klutz-fest.

You never know what you're going to get with him, and that has to be affecting the team.
    For the money Man Utd paid fr him, I think they're entitled to see more consistency and quality than they've seen so far.

And don't tell me he needs time to settle in - he arrived before the season started and it's now mid-January. He's had plenty of time, especially of he's as good as so many folks say he is.

Carrick is far more consistent and more important to United at the moment.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    World class my erse, He is bang average.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    You don't say. I'm not talking about someone having a bad game every now and again. I'm talking about a player whose erratic and uneven form form one game to the next is affecting the team's performance and results.

Right now from what I've seen Pogba can't be relied upon to consistently produce a performance bearing any relation to the huge fee Man Utd paid for his contract. One game he plays well, you think maybe he's getting it together, then he has a horror show like yesterday. The next game he looks half-way competent, then he has a dreadful first half and a not bad second the following game. Then he has two good games, then another klutz-fest.

You never know what you're going to get with him, and that has to be affecting the team.
    For the money Man Utd paid fr him, I think they're entitled to see more consistency and quality than they've seen so far.

And don't tell me he needs time to settle in - he arrived before the season started and it's now mid-January. He's had plenty of time, especially of he's as good as so many folks say he is.
    That's not an accurate reflection of how he has been playing though. He has been excellent over the last 10 games or so.

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    World class my erse, He is bang average.
    He is not bang average, he is clearly a quality player. He was very good for United over the last 10 games and had an awful game yesterday. If he has 10 good games for every bad 1 he'll become a United legend.

He is not bang average, he is clearly a quality player. He was very good for United over the last 10 games and had an awful game yesterday. If he has 10 good games for every bad 1 he'll become a United legend.

He's bang average

And Man u Still won't get a champions league place this season.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    He's bang average

And Man u Still won't get a champions league place this season.
    Let's wait and see. Sixteen unbeaten now and getting some momentum with wee Jose. Every chance of finishing between second and fourth this season
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Let's wait and see. Sixteen unbeaten now and getting some momentum with wee Jose. Every chance of finishing between second and fourth this season

Indeed lets wait and see..

But they won't be in the top 4