hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Brilliant tennis in the Nadal v Zverev match.

Zverev is without a doubt a future grand slam winner.

2. Log in to remove the advert

2-1 Zverev. Phenomenonal stuff in the tie break. Winning point was unreal.

Rafa's to lose now. Zverev cramping up and really struggling.

Nadal eventually through in five sets. I caught a bit of the last set, seems to have been a good match.

Murray 1-0 down and looking troubled by Zverev's style. Lots of lobs but not really working towards the end.

Both men struggling to hold their serve so plenty opportunities to come.

5-4 up in the second, Zverev serving to stay in the set.

Again there has been numerous breaks with Murray still making too many errors. Still, win this set and I reckon he'll be fine.

1 set all and Murray down a break in the 4th.

Still not looking great but passing a lot better than he was.

5-2 down. Zverev serving to go 2-1 up.

2-1 down and a break down in the 4th.

Zverev playing very well and causing him problems. Really cutting out the unforced errors.

That'll be that then.

Fair play to Zverev, came forward quickly and didn't make the mistakes Murray normally looks for people to make. Deserves to go through.

To say I'm shocked by Murray's defeat is a massive understatement.

Prior to this tournament, Mischa Zverev had only won 5 Grand Slam matches in his career, only one of those wins coming at the Australian Open (which was 10 years ago) and hadn't even made the main draw at the Australian Open since 2011. Less than 2 years ago, he was ranked outside the top 1000 in the world rankings!

I didn't see the match but all the reports are saying that Zverev was the worthy winner but I don't expect him to get close to beating Roger Federer in the next round.

What a massive disappointment it will be for Murray though. It was a huge chance for him to win his first Australian Open title with Djokovic going out. I honestly don't see him getting a better chance.

Johanna Konta wins 6-1 6-4 to set up a 1/4 Final v Serena, it'll obviously be some effort to get past that one.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Johanna Konta wins 6-1 6-4 to set up a 1/4 Final v Serena, it'll obviously be some effort to get past that one.
    Can't see her beating Serena to be honest but you never know. She's done well to get this far.

Quite gutted the Wawrinka - Tsonga match is on during the early hours of tomorrow morning as I reckon that could be a cracker. I'm going for Wawrinka in four sets.

I should hopefully see the first hour or so of Federer's match before going to work.

Exciting all-Swiss encounter coming up on Thursday between Roger Federer and Stan Wawrinka for a place in the Australian Open final.

As I expected, Federer made light work of Mischa Zverev and Wawrinka beat Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in straight sets as well.

The last two quarter finals will be played tomorrow with Rafael Nadal playing Milos Raonic and David Goffin playing Grigor Dimitrov.

Although Nadal leads the head to head 6-2 against Raonic, Raonic has won his two matches in the last three matches between the pair, including the most recent one just a couple of weeks ago in Brisbane. They have never met a Grand Slam though. I personally think Raonic will come through this one but it will be a very close one which I think will go to five sets.

For the other match, again I think it will be very close. Both Dimitrov and Goffin are fairly evenly matched although I think Dimitrov will win that one, possibly in four sets.

So I reckon it will be a semi final line up of;

Federer v Wawrinka
    Raonic v Dimitrov

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Although Nadal leads the head to head 6-2 against Raonic, Raonic has won his two matches in the last three matches between the pair, including the most recent one just a couple of weeks ago in Brisbane. They have never met a Grand Slam though. I personally think Raonic will come through this one but it will be a very close one which I think will go to five sets.
    Interested to see the bookies have Nadal favourite for this one. Not the way I see it at all, but we'll see...

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McS****y View Post
    Interested to see the bookies have Nadal favourite for this one. Not the way I see it at all, but we'll see...
    ...and Nadal breaks first, looks like taking the first set. Listen not to McS****y

Didn't expect it to be so one sided in Nadal's favour but glad to see him back in at the business end of a Grand Slam. I would love to see a Nadal-Federer final although I think Wawrinka will beat Federer and it will be a Nadal-Wawrinka final as I expect Nadal to beat Dimitrov.

Venus Williams rolled back the years by beating Coco Vandeweghe after coming for a set down and reaching the Australian Open final at 36 years old.

She will play her sister Serena if she can beat Mirjana Lucic-Baroni which is just about to start.

There's still a possibility of an all Williams women's final and a Federer-Nadal men's final.

I wonder what odds you would have got on that double at the start of the tournament!

Federer's also two sets up vs Wawrinka, didn't expect that!

What a performance from Roger Federer, into his 28th Grand Slam final.

Awesome fightback I didn't see the match but followed it online looked like a brilliant contest.

Really hope it's a Federer-Nadal final.

Awesome fightback I didn't see the match but followed it online looked like a brilliant contest.

Really hope it's a Federer-Nadal final.
    You'd have got huge odds on that at the start of the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    You'd have got huge odds on that at the start of the tournament.
    Yep Roger-Rafa and Serena-Venus would have been huge odds as a double for the women's and men's finals.

Would've liked to see a new face coming to the fore; instead we have the Williams sisters and Federer v Nadal, so nothing that I haven't seen before and I won't be watching either of the finals.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    Would've liked to see a new face coming to the fore; instead we have the Williams sisters and Federer v Nadal, so nothing that I haven't seen before and I won't be watching either of the finals.
    Tend to agree a bit depressing something a bit suspect about it IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Tend to agree a bit depressing something a bit suspect about it IMO.
    Totally disagree, I think it's brilliant that these four great champions have got to the final of one of the sport's biggest tournaments when they are all reaching the twilight of their careers.

Venus Williams in particular is a great story. Eight years since she last got to a Grand Slam final and she's up again tomorrow against Serena Williams, probably the greatest female player ever. Venus has also had a medical condition to deal with so to play in the final of the Australian Open final tomorrow is fantastic for her.

Roger Federer is also doing something quite incredible. After not playing a single competitive match for six months through injury, he has really rolled back the years in the last fortnight. He's had an extremely tough run to the final. He's played 3 top ten players in his last 4 matches against Berdych, Nishikori and Wawrinka so he definitely deserves to be there.

I personally can't wait for the Federer-Nadal match. It's a final I never thought I would see again.

Totally disagree, I think it's brilliant that these four great champions have got to the final of one of the sport's biggest tournaments when they are all reaching the twilight of their careers.

Venus Williams in particular is a great story. Eight years since she last got to a Grand Slam final and she's up again tomorrow against Serena Williams, probably the greatest female player ever. Venus has also had a medical condition to deal with so to play in the final of the Australian Open final tomorrow is fantastic for her.

Roger Federer is also doing something quite incredible. After not playing a single competitive match for six months through injury, he has really rolled back the years in the last fortnight. He's had an extremely tough run to the final. He's played 3 top ten players in his last 4 matches against Berdych, Nishikori and Wawrinka so he definitely deserves to be there.

I personally can't wait for the Federer-Nadal match. It's a final I never thought I would see again.
    Agree.

I fancied Federer to win since Murray went out. Thought Raonic may have edged the other half but glad to see Nadal in the final. Hope Fed wins it.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

I think the Venus one isn't right has got nowhere near yet at 36 swans into a final. Same with federer very suspect. Bottom line is tennis is one of the most dubious sports re testing etc.

Serena Williams breaks Steffi Graf's record of 22 Grand Slam titles after beating her sister Venus 6-4 6-4.

I think the Venus one isn't right has got nowhere near yet at 36 swans into a final. Same with federer very suspect. Bottom line is tennis is one of the most dubious sports re testing etc.
    There is absolutely no chance that Roger Federer is on any sort of performancing enhancing drugs or any other sort of dodgy substance.

Were there any matches she won that you didn't fancy her to have a good chance? She only beat 1 seed and she was 24.

Lucky draw is the most likely explanation.