hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    All four of these finalists have won grand slam tournaments many times over, that's why to me it isn't of much interest. I have a lot of respect for Serena Williams in terms of her many contributions towards equality in tennis, but to me it's just like the Champions league when the 2 semi-finals comprise of Barcelona, Real Madrid, Chelsea and Bayern Munich. Same old. I'm sure a lot of people will enjoy it though, it's just my opinion.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Totally disagree, I think it's brilliant that these four great champions have got to the final of one of the sport's biggest tournaments when they are all reaching the twilight of their careers.

Venus Williams in particular is a great story. Eight years since she last got to a Grand Slam final and she's up again tomorrow against Serena Williams, probably the greatest female player ever. Venus has also had a medical condition to deal with so to play in the final of the Australian Open final tomorrow is fantastic for her.

Roger Federer is also doing something quite incredible. After not playing a single competitive match for six months through injury, he has really rolled back the years in the last fortnight. He's had an extremely tough run to the final. He's played 3 top ten players in his last 4 matches against Berdych, Nishikori and Wawrinka so he definitely deserves to be there.

I personally can't wait for the Federer-Nadal match. It's a final I never thought I would see again.

First set Federer 6-4

Brilliant so far.

Second set Nadal 6-3

Rafa's starting to turn the screw.

Totally disagree, I think it's brilliant that these four great champions have got to the final of one of the sport's biggest tournaments when they are all reaching the twilight of their careers.

Venus Williams in particular is a great story. Eight years since she last got to a Grand Slam final and she's up again tomorrow against Serena Williams, probably the greatest female player ever. Venus has also had a medical condition to deal with so to play in the final of the Australian Open final tomorrow is fantastic for her.

Roger Federer is also doing something quite incredible. After not playing a single competitive match for six months through injury, he has really rolled back the years in the last fortnight. He's had an extremely tough run to the final. He's played 3 top ten players in his last 4 matches against Berdych, Nishikori and Wawrinka so he definitely deserves to be there.

I personally can't wait for the Federer-Nadal match. It's a final I never thought I would see again.
    The problem I have is the top 2 seeds were eliminated early in the mens draw yet the men who took advantage are both edging towards the end of their careers and have been blighted by injury. That doesn't say a lot for the depth of talent in the mens game outwith the 4 that have dominated the game for the last decade plus.

It's certainly great to see 2 guys who looked like their days in the sun were behind them having another crack at glory. I've loved watching them over the years. It is a bit disappointing that the new generation haven't staked their claim though. I accept we have lived through the greatest ever era of mens tennis but still.

Federer back in front, takes the third set 6-1.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The problem I have is the top 2 seeds were eliminated early in the mens draw yet the men who took advantage are both edging towards the end of their careers and have been blighted by injury. That doesn't say a lot for the depth of talent in the mens game outwith the 4 that have dominated the game for the last decade plus.

It's certainly great to see 2 guys who looked like their days in the sun were behind them having another crack at glory. I've loved watching them over the years. It is a bit disappointing that the new generation haven't staked their claim though. I accept we have lived through the greatest ever era of mens tennis but still.
    Zverev was unlucky against Nadal. He played excetionally well and it was fatigue that beat him more than anything else.

He's the real deal and the most likely in my eyes to be the next at the level of the 'big 4'.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

I agree it shows up a lack of up and coming players in the men's game but i'm still not accepting that there's anything untoward going on which is what's being implied earlier in the thread.

We are living in a golden era for men's tennis. This past 10 years or so may never be seen again for many years. It's a privilege to watch these great athletes do what they do best.

What a great point there and a fantastic winner by Nadal!

Into a fifth set as Nadal takes the fourth set.

This is what we've been waiting for!

What a fifth set. 👌

Outstanding, simply outstanding.

Federer wins 6-4 3-6 6-1 3-6 6-3 and wins his 18th Grand Slam title.

federer - what a guy . he struggled to contain nadals heavy game for years but today pure skill overcame brute force and surely cements federer as the greatest tennis player ever and probably the top sportsman of this century

Murray wins in Dubai!!!

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Going to watch him at BNP Paribas open from Friday.

To get better seats next year I had to drive here early to enter a priority lottery which you must actually be present for. Got to drive all the way back after. A sacrifice worth making to get closer to the front row for Hibs top display.
    Last edited by GreenLake; 06-03-2017 at 03:10 PM.

Just drew numero dos! I get second pick of upgrades. Clearly a symbol of two in a row. Was wearing a Hibs beanie for luck.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLake View Post
    Just drew numero dos! I get second pick of upgrades. Clearly a symbol of two in a row. Was wearing a Hibs beanie for luck.
    Hope you enjoy yourself, I'm not jealous in the slightest...

Hope you enjoy yourself, I'm not jealous in the slightest...
    I have great seats already and one extra ticket so jump on a flight.

I have great seats already and one extra ticket so jump on a flight.
    Please don't tempt me! I would love to be there.

Please don't tempt me! I would love to be there.
    I hope this helps.

Renovation

Dining

Hotels

BNP Paribas Open

That's just cruel!

Can't believe Murray's lost in his first match!

That's just cruel!

Can't believe Murray's lost in his first match!
    I can!

It was the same for me last year which was my first time at BNP Paribas Open. At least I got to see him play on Stadium 1 as last year he was beaten in Stadium 2 while I was watching from a Chop House court view table. He still plays another game with Evans in the doubles so hopefully I can see more of him. Sir Andy Murray is a legend!

One lady had a paper mask of Sir Andy on her face and I turned to look at her thinking how unnerving it was to see the head of our Knight above a pair of generously sized breasts. Hopefully she doesn't read Hibs.net because she sits behind me all tournament.

We still have some great tennis to watch in Stadium 1 and two other Brits up against top players.

Daniel Evans vs Kei Nishikori

Rafa Nadal vs Guido Pella

Kyle Edmund vs Novak Djokovic

Stephane Robert vs Roger Federer

Murray doing well with Soares. The wife is detaiNed at work so I was scouring the 300 seats with my scopes first a Hibby to upgrade but no sign of any. An Orange man rugby fans is two rows behind and a very nice guy. Seems it's only the h uh not afflicted bigot ORangers who are deplorable.

I told him I wont drink Jamieson and only use it to clean my car parts.

Maybe I am a jinx