Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is Costa getting £10m a year net?
    I read somewhere that he was on £4m a year

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Costa is on £185k per week i,e, nearly £10m a year.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I read somewhere that he was on £4m a year
    After tax. Must be struggling.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    But using that logic we would have to pay more for players of a lesser ability too.
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Exactly. It shoves us even further down the pecking order.
    Not sure about that ..... Hibs like a lot of clubs here don't really do transfer fees, we are far enough down the food chain that that might not change the type of players available to us, though it might mean we would have to offer better wages.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Costa is on £185k per week i,e, nearly £10m a year.
    After deductions its nearer £4m it seems, the £30m is net apparently. This kind of dosh will turn most peoples heads in my opinion.

The folk who say it wouldnt are kidding themselves.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    After deductions its nearer £4m it seems, the £30m is net apparently. This kind of dosh will turn most peoples heads in my opinion.

Absolutely. If he doesn't fancy it after a year, bank a fortune and plenty teams will be happy to bring him back to Europe.

I'm not sure...

I mean, if you were on £20k a year and someone offers you £100k, I doubt anyone would say no, but if you were already earning more money than you can realistically spend, and you were offered a lot more to go do a worse job in what you might consider a worse place to live...

I can understand the guys going who are old, or who aren't top players, but someone in their prime, who could be playing for trophies in Europe's top leagues heading for China, it smacks of greed and nothing else. A player motivated by sporting achievement certainly wouldn't go, for example, if rumours are to be believed, Ronaldo knocked back an offer of £2million a week...

Amusing watching BT Sport commentators whining and bleating on about lack of player loyalty and following the money

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    I'm not sure...

I mean, if you were on £20k a year and someone offers you £100k, I doubt anyone would say no, but if you were already earning more money than you can realistically spend, and you were offered a lot more to go do a worse job in what you might consider a worse place to live...

I can understand the guys going who are old, or who aren't top players, but someone in their prime, who could be playing for trophies in Europe's top leagues heading for China, it smacks of greed and nothing else. A player motivated by sporting achievement certainly wouldn't go, for example, if rumours are to be believed, Ronaldo knocked back an offer of £2million a week...
    It's all relative. Players like Ronaldo have interests outside of football that put them in the super rich category, and actually can afford to turn down offers. The merely rich are looking up and envying

@hibs.net private member
    Very few players would turn down £30m a year. It's crazy money but that's the way football has gone.

I wonder if Mourinho would have taken the same line against Costa, knowing his respect for the medical profession!

First Team Breakthrough
    China plans to have 70,000 pitches built by 2020.
    They already have 10,000 public ones and 40,000 in schools.
    China,like Japan , have a 30 year plan in progress (Japan already 10 years into theirs) to be a force in world football.
    A lot of "C " licence coaches are being sourced in Australia to coach the youth teams and schools ,as well as the coaches,on the national curriculum currently here in Oz.
    Sort of makes the SFAs 5 year vision which gets rolled out every new manager, and changes every 2 years , a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by ozwoody View Post
    China plans to have 70,000 pitches built by 2020.
    They already have 10,000 public ones and 40,000 in schools.
    China,like Japan , have a 30 year plan in progress (Japan already 10 years into theirs) to be a force in world football.
    A lot of "C " licence coaches are being sourced in Australia to coach the youth teams and schools ,as well as the coaches,on the national curriculum currently here in Oz.
    Sort of makes the SFAs 5 year vision which gets rolled out every new manager, and changes every 2 years , a joke.
    They do have big plans, but they could be scuppered by the top teams spending the crazy money they are and going bust.

Already the government has got involved saying the overspending must stop (and the government basically has the power to do it). Like the States before, trying to create a top league from scratch aint easy and can go pop.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco G View Post
    They do have big plans, but they could be scuppered by the top teams spending the crazy money they are and going bust.

Already the government has got involved saying the overspending must stop (and the government basically has the power to do it). Like the States before, trying to create a top league from scratch aint easy and can go pop.
    Agreed, but where the likes of the states went wrong was trying to buy a whole team of players on big money but did not invest in the grassroots game to get youngsters involved.
    Japan and to a lesser extent Australia realised if you are going to be competitive you cant pay over the odds for over the hill players that give nothing back to the grassroots clubs and thats why ,over the past few years,a total overhaul was introduced so that all coaches would coach to the curriculum. Does every player make it? Of course not but the amount of Japanese and Australian players making it in europe and qualifying for world cups shows that these countries are starting to produce more quality players shows it has merits.
    41,000 watched the Sydney derby last night (a game that was live on tv) outwith an old firm game all clubs would kill for that attendance

Agreed, but where the likes of the states went wrong was trying to buy a whole team of players on big money but did not invest in the grassroots game to get youngsters involved.
    Japan and to a lesser extent Australia realised if you are going to be competitive you cant pay over the odds for over the hill players that give nothing back to the grassroots clubs and thats why ,over the past few years,a total overhaul was introduced so that all coaches would coach to the curriculum. Does every player make it? Of course not but the amount of Japanese and Australian players making it in europe and qualifying for world cups shows that these countries are starting to produce more quality players shows it has merits.
    41,000 watched the Sydney derby last night (a game that was live on tv) outwith an old firm game all clubs would kill for that attendance
    Thanks for your insight. Hope you dont lose too many of your good Aussie coaches into the Chinese system 😉, but it is great that some countries do have plans to improve their football quality from within!

First Team Breakthrough
    Thanks for your insight. Hope you dont lose too many of your good Aussie coaches into the Chinese system 😉, but it is great that some countries do have plans to improve their football quality from within!
    The Chinese system are looking at methods from all over and they are seeing whats already in place and cherrypicking what they think will give them headstart on their plan.
    Aussie coaches are in demand as we have had the curriculum for 6 years now ,fully supported by the FFA.
    Depending on what group you are coaching , you must have relevant qualification whether it's junior,youth or senior in community clubs or "C" "B" or "A" licences for state, semi or professional teams.
    Similarly in Scotland but I think junior clubs dont take the grassroots qualifications as seriously but happy to be proved wrong.
    I wish the SFA blazers would look beyond their own interests and look at how we can discover the next golden generation.
    I'm sorry if i sound frustrated but its probably cause i am!

The Chinese system are looking at methods from all over and they are seeing whats already in place and cherrypicking what they think will give them headstart on their plan.
    Aussie coaches are in demand as we have had the curriculum for 6 years now ,fully supported by the FFA.
    Depending on what group you are coaching , you must have relevant qualification whether it's junior,youth or senior in community clubs or "C" "B" or "A" licences for state, semi or professional teams.
    Similarly in Scotland but I think junior clubs dont take the grassroots qualifications as seriously but happy to be proved wrong.
    I wish the SFA blazers would look beyond their own interests and look at how we can discover the next golden generation.
    I'm sorry if i sound frustrated but its probably cause i am!
    That is the key point - it has to be a system that works for the specific country and its problems. But good coaching must be at the heart of it. Eg Iceland are punching way above their weight by investing in training lots of qualified coaches and providing infrastructure to back it up.

To do that in a country the size of China will be a challenge but if they have the funds then they could succeed with a model that suits them.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Good piece before Christmas on Oscar's China move and the football set up there...

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-china-chelsea

As an add on, action is being taken to try to clamp down on this

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38636082