hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forth road bridge closed.

00:30 Bridge closed to high sided vehicles.

02:00 Lorry overturns on bridge.

Bridge them closed until further notice because twats lorry is mangled in the grille between the lanes.

Enjoy the commute.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    00:30 Bridge closed to high sided vehicles.

02:00 Lorry overturns on bridge.

Bridge them closed until further notice because twats lorry is mangled in the grille between the lanes.

Enjoy the commute.
    And recovery crane cannot operate in high winds so it will be shut for a while.
    ​#PERSEVERED

South bound may be closed for a few days.

@hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 8716 3819 6602 4564
    Driver charged with dangerous driving.
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

@hibs.net private member derekHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    Driver charged with dangerous driving.
    And quite rightly so. Did the guy think the signs were up saying bridge closed to high sided vehicles were there for a laugh?

Quite staggering really. Imagine that was rush hour and the clown was blown onto another car.
    Someone once told me that hard work wouldn't kill me.

I thought: "Hell, why take the chance"!

@hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 8716 3819 6602 4564
    My team leader, who lives in Alloa, has just arrived in Perth at 11:30 having been caught up in the traffic, and that wasn't even trying to get across the Kincardine Bridge!!
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

Quote Originally Posted by derekHFC View Post
    And quite rightly so. Did the guy think the signs were up saying bridge closed to high sided vehicles were there for a laugh?

Quite staggering really. Imagine that was rush hour and the clown was blown onto another car.
    It mystifies me what goes through these guys head.

Myself and Mrs PB were driving on the M6 past Shap just before Christmas, notorious for being exposed. Signs for miles beforehand saying road closed to high sided vehicles. Of course 10 minutes down the road a lorry lies overturned. Luckily it fell onto the hard shoulder and not into the middle of the road.
    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

My wee van job takes me from Leith to Perth then back via a scenic Fife route. That'll be 3 extra hours I'll never get back!

Seen lots more of our lovely country though. I suppose I'm just lucky 😁
    Space to let

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by derekHFC View Post

Even without signs you'd think he'd have realised that crossing a high bridge in wings like we had last night in a high sided lorry was ****ing idiotic.

Genuinely would jail him for it. His stupidity will cost the tax payers a hefty whack, he's put others at risk, and he could have killed someone.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Even without signs you'd think he'd have realised that crossing a high bridge in wings like we had last night in a high sided lorry was ****ing idiotic.

Genuinely would jail him for it. His stupidity will cost the tax payers a hefty whack, he's put others at risk, and he could have killed someone.
    No excuses - he should be jailed, given the disruption he's caused and the obvious danger & inconvenience he has inflicted on other road users. He could quite easily have been up on a manslaughter charge from his own stupidity and/or arrogance.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    No excuses - he should be jailed, given the disruption he's caused and the obvious danger & inconvenience he has inflicted on other road users. He could quite easily have been up on a manslaughter charge from his own stupidity and/or arrogance.
    This

Scottish Cup Victory - Witness 2016 Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Given the disruption the closure of the bridge causes there really needs to be a physical presence rather than just signs to prevent this happening yet again.
    "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
    an advantage, then he should be."

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Given the disruption the closure of the bridge causes there really needs to be a physical presence rather than just signs to prevent this happening yet again.
    If this bawheid gets a well-publisied and deserved visit to the Big Hoose, then I think you'll find a lot of other similar bawheids won't take the chance next time.

If this bawheid gets a well-publisied and deserved visit to the Big Hoose, then I think you'll find a lot of other similar bawheids won't take the chance.
    The point is though a major road infrastructure like the bridge shouldn't be at the mercy of someone willing to take a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post

I'm pretty sure the government, on behalf of the taxpayer, will be making a claim against his company's insurance.

I'm wondering if people who would have otherwise used the bridge could make a claim. As I said earlier I lost something like 3 hours but my fancy new Sat Nav update whisked me past an incredible amount of stationary traffic I could see on other roads and the motorway. It could easily have been much, much longer, both ways.

@hibs.net private member
    The point is though a major road infrastructure like the bridge shouldn't be at the mercy of someone willing to take a chance.
    It's a fair point...a traffic police car at either end would be enough to ensure compliance.

That said what a selfish walloper the driver is and he should have the book thrown at him...he's lucky he didn't kill someone or damage the bridge more than he did. Not to mention the monumental disruption he has caused all because he couldn't be ersed driving a few extra miles.

Quote Originally Posted by SiMar View Post
    It's a fair point...a traffic police car at either end would be enough to ensure compliance.

That said what a selfish walloper the driver is and he should have the book thrown at him...he's lucky he didn't kill someone or damage the bridge more than he did. Not to mention the monumental disruption he has caused all because he couldn't be ersed driving a few extra miles.
    Agree absolutely, I remember the stick I got years ago when I opened up the side of the van like a tin can on a stationary skip. They called me skippy for months. Imagine causing the closure of the bridge!!!!!

Agree absolutely, I remember the stick I got years ago when I opened up the side of the van like a tin can on a stationary skip. They called me skippy for months. Imagine causing the closure of the bridge!!!!!
    I suspect he'll be known as Bridgey McBridgeface
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    There actually were Highways Agency/Amey vehicles at either side monitoring traffic.

I was nightshift last night and came back across the bridge from Fife around 01:45, the matrix signs were saying the bridge was closed to high sided vehicles/caravans/motorcycles. As you approached from the North there was a crew van in the layby facing traffic, driver watching for high siders who he could then flash his lights at. From the south another crew van was again facing traffic sitting between the A90 and the slip coming from Echline.

Two things I did notice, when I crossed the bridge in a small corsa van, there was very little wind, normally gusts would throw my van about. Secondly, the bloke watching traffic from the North was on his mobile as his lower face/jowl was lit up by the screen on his phone,,,,,I wonder if the guy on the South was doing similar???

Bridge now open.

3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I'm pretty sure the government, on behalf of the taxpayer, will be making a claim against his company's insurance.

I'm wondering if people who would have otherwise used the bridge could make a claim. As I said earlier I lost something like 3 hours but my fancy new Sat Nav update whisked me past an incredible amount of stationary traffic I could see on other roads and the motorway. It could easily have been much, much longer, both ways.
    I'd be surprised is the insurance was valid, given that he ignore the warning signs (they'll use any reason not to pay up).

Quote Originally Posted by jonty View Post
    I'd be surprised is the insurance was valid, given that he ignore the warning signs (they'll use any reason not to pay up).
    Insurance companies pay out all the time when the policy holder is at fault that's what it's for!

If this bawheid gets a well-publisied and deserved visit to the Big Hoose, then I think you'll find a lot of other similar bawheids won't take the chance next time.
    For the avoidance of doubt, this was nothing to do with me.

3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    Insurance companies pay out all the time when the policy holder is at fault that's what it's for!
    Sure, but there will be exceptions in the small print (ie life insurance may not pay out on suicide) and limitiations.
    And if they haven't, more fool them.

Quote Originally Posted by jonty View Post
    Sure, but there will be exceptions in the small print (ie life insurance may not pay out on suicide) and limitiations.
    And if they haven't, more fool them.
    Yes but unlikely in a motor insurance policy.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SiMar View Post

One wonders what kind of pressure he might have been put under by his employer.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    In a news report earlier today, I was surprised to hear that the company involved had only one concern ......... the health and safety of their driver. Still, I suppose that they will be technically sub-judice, now that their employee has been arrested.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    In a news report earlier today, I was surprised to hear that the company involved had only one concern ......... the health and safety of their driver. Still, I suppose that they will be technically sub-judice, now that their employee has been arrested.
    Why is that surprising? Exactly what I would expect any employer to say.

Blog Entries
    Why is that surprising? Exactly what I would expect any employer to say.
    I suppose you're correct but you wonder if the fool was acting as an individual or under the instructions of his employers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    I suppose you're correct but you wonder if the fool was acting as an individual or under the instructions of his employers.
    Yes, I've started to wonder about that too.
    Driver: "Boss, the bridge is closed to high vehicles'
    Boss: "Dinny pay attention to them. Just get that load delivered pdq"
    (Or words to that effect.)