hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Honestly we all moan on here about the likes of the Sun and Daily Ranger with their made up stories about Hibs and we have some of our own fans on here making things up?? No wonder this 💩appears in the red tops...they pick it up off here

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by houstonhibbee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i thinkk it means a lesser fee offset by the player swap
    TBH I'd be pretty dissapointed in hibs if we tried anything like that. They agreed a deal with us in good faith, to find a loophole to shaft them with would be poor form imo.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by houstonhibbee View Post
    i thinkk it means a lesser fee offset by the player swap
    The contract would have to specify a value for each player.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    The contract would have to specify a value for each player.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
    Yep, initial price for player, percentage to St Mirren then money deducted for whoever we buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    Maybe my illogical logic but

Petrie is an accountant.

Attractive bids are made.

He sees the pound signs.

Thinks Hibs will be promoted without McGinn, and possibly Cummings, if he can get a short term sticking plaster, Commons.

Takes the money.

He has got previous.

He has got one huge issue to sell it to the fan base especially the newly signed up season and half season ticket holders, so I hope I am completely and utterly wrong, but can't get rid of the niggling thought.
    Has he? Don't remember him selling any star players who we've needed to get promoted before?

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Has he? Don't remember him selling any star players who we've needed to get promoted before?
    Maybe not promotion, but he sold Gaz just before the SC semi v Hearts.
    We all know how that turned out.
    Last edited by snooky; 10-01-2017 at 11:08 PM.

At least our guys mainly see us ok dont run down deals leave for free like over road.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Maybe not promotion, but he sold Gaz just before the SC semi v Hearts.
    We all know how that turned out.
    GOC signed a contract extension purely so Hibs got a decent fee for him, he knew the Russians wanted him and he was getting a tax free wage to boot, it was a good deal for both Hibs and GOC.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Yep, initial price for player, percentage to St Mirren then money deducted for whoever we buy.
    Yip

The suggested loophole doesn't exist.

@hibs.net private member
    Let's imagine we sell SJM for 2 mill this window, ( imagine I said, calm down )

£600,000 ish straight to St Midden, that leaves us with 1.4 million. So let's break that down 3 years left on contract and if we let him run out his contract would get ( a guess between £400,000 - £500,000.) development fee not sure if St Mirren would get 30% of this figure as technically it ain't a sell on fee.
    So loosing out roughly 1 Mill over three years but having him at the club helping us to get higher league position with more money that will bring in, also more bums in seats if winning games.
    So my conclusion is Take the 2 mill ( if anyone is stupid enough to think it should be excepted, from their board) and ram it where the sun don't shine,
    Starting price no less than 4.5 mill in my view starting summer window 2018.

Same type scenario for Cummings in my opinion too. So that means that I wouldn't sell either to fund Commons.

GGTTH
    Last edited by southern hibby; 11-01-2017 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by southern hibby View Post
    Let's imagine we sell SJM for 2 mill this window, ( imagine I said, calm down )

£600,000 ish straight to St Midden, that leaves us with 1.4 million. So let's break that down 3 years left on contract and if we let him run out his contract would get ( a guess between £400,000 - £500,000.) development fee not sure if St Mirren would get 30% of this figure as technically it ain't a sell on fee.
    So loosing out roughly 1 Mill over three years but having him at the club helping us to get higher league position with more money that will bring in, also more bums in seats if winning games.
    So my conclusion is Take the 2 mill ( if anyone is stupid enough to think it should be excepted, from their board) and ram it where the sun don't shine,
    Starting price no less than 4.5 mill in my view starting summer window 2018.

Same type scenario for Cummings in my opinion too. So that means that I wouldn't sell either to fund Commons.

GGTTH

Your scenario(s) don't account for the player being unhappy at not being able/allowed to leave for a club they want to join (assumption for the sake of the point), and presumably increasing their salary significantly, and end up causing disruption in the squad either deliberately or just by feeling hacked off, and not playing well through lack of motivation or hacked off. Under those (not unlikely) circumstances, your points about better league positions and bums on seats through winning become more precarious.

I wouldnt sell either to fund Commons as it happens.

I think Cummings will go for £2m+, and McGinn for £3m+, with possible add-on wrinkles and/or players coming in the other direction to muddy the waters somewhat.

its worth remembering that LD managed to turn a head-turned Scott Allan into (effectively) McGeouch, Henderson on loan and SJM (from the money Celtic paid), and possibly some cash left over also. All from a player who clearly wanted to go.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Your scenario(s) don't account for the player being unhappy at not being able/allowed to leave for a club they want to join (assumption for the sake of the point), and presumably increasing their salary significantly, and end up causing disruption in the squad either deliberately or just by feeling hacked off, and not playing well through lack of motivation or hacked off. Under those (not unlikely) circumstances, your points about better league positions and bums on seats through winning become more precarious.

I wouldnt sell either to fund Commons as it happens.

I think Cummings will go for £2m+, and McGinn for £3m+, with possible add-on wrinkles and/or players coming in the other direction to muddy the waters somewhat.

its worth remembering that LD managed to turn a head-turned Scott Allan into (effectively) McGeouch, Henderson on loan and SJM (from the money Celtic paid), and possibly some cash left over also. All from a player who clearly wanted to go.
    Agree with everything you say, but just remember this both young players and need to be playing first team football to get their move, so if they're not trying not playing, we hold the cards here not players or players agents. Every time a player is unhappy not interested wants away do we turn over and let him tickle our stomach to get what he wants?? Once window is shut I think the player would still try want his bonuses from playing so until this is actually tried and tested this for both players is pure speculation.
    But I do agree with what you say.

GGTTH

I don't get this. It would be nice to have Commons until the end of the season but he is at the end of his career and unfit. I honestly don't think signing him is absolutely essential.
    The idea that we break the bank or use SJM or JC as means of getting him is crazy.

For what it's worth, I would want Scott Allan and Liam Henderson as part of any plus cash deal should celtic come calling for SJM.

Quote Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post
    I don't get this. It would be nice to have Commons until the end of the season but he is at the end of his career and unfit. I honestly don't think signing him is absolutely essential.
    The idea that we break the bank or use SJM or JC as means of getting him is crazy.

For what it's worth, I would want Scott Allan and Liam Henderson as part of any plus cash deal should celtic come calling for SJM.
    Some people need to get a grip, none of the above is going to happen, Commons will be staying till the end of the season whatever happens with any other players, if we can sign him on a pre contract for next season again it will not be at the expense of any of our players, we as a club live within our means and Commons being here next season means he's taken a wage drop to do so.

If we do sell Cummings it will be because the offer was too good but we do not need to sell this window, lets all calm down and let Leeann and Lennon run the club.

Commons will not be playing for Hibs past the end of this season. He's just a role of the dice for this year. Get us up then thanks very much.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Commons will not be playing for Hibs past the end of this season. He's just a role of the dice for this year. Get us up then thanks very much.

So he is signing until the end of the season then?

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Agree with that. Any movement this window should only have one objective getting us promoted. Chris H only signed until the summer. Achieving that gives us a stronger bargaining position with contract renewal and new players coming in.

And if we can wrap up the league early then we have a chance to throw some of the youngsters in to see what they can do.

Who knows, he's settled in Scotland, might really enjoy his time at Hibs - likes Lennon, doesn't probably need to chase money .....So you never know.
    In any case, the club has to just focus on promotion, all the who stays, comes, goes, will be a summer agenda.

In the short-term, I believe if he stays till end of season, we'll win the league. If he doesn't, I'm not so confident.

Let just no sell anyone and if It cost too much to keep Commons then dont bother.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    GOC signed a contract extension purely so Hibs got a decent fee for him, he knew the Russians wanted him and he was getting a tax free wage to boot, it was a good deal for both Hibs and GOC.
    A good FINANCIAL deal, I grant you but a crazy football deal given the upcoming semi. I'm sure Garry has said that the transfer was instigated by Hibs.

Left by mutual consent!
    If we sold any of our best players and then failed to go up then the board would need to immigrate.

Im comfortable the squad of today even with no new editions is capable of winning title so hopefully only add to squad.

I'm not convinced we really need Commons.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's done brilliantly for us. But he was brought in on an emergency loan when we were looking at being without Fyvie, McGinn and McGeouch for a spell. 2 of those 3 are back fit and the other is nearly there. Since these players have been injured we've seen Scott Martin emerge, Marvin Bartley show us what he's capable of, we've signed Chris Humphrey and James Keatings has also returned to fitness.

Commons' signing was a necessity at the time and he's done well during a move that suited all parties. But I'm not convinced he'd be the best use of £2-3k pw right now.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I'm not convinced we really need Commons.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's done brilliantly for us. But he was brought in on an emergency loan when we were looking at being without Fyvie, McGinn and McGeouch for a spell. 2 of those 3 are back fit and the other is nearly there. Since these players have been injured we've seen Scott Martin emerge, Marvin Bartley show us what he's capable of, we've signed Chris Humphrey and James Keatings has also returned to fitness.

Commons' signing was a necessity at the time and he's done well during a move that suited all parties. But I'm not convinced he'd be the best use of £2-3k pw right now.
    If he can turn draws into wins every so often like he did v Falkirk then he could be vital.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    A good FINANCIAL deal, I grant you but a crazy football deal given the upcoming semi. I'm sure Garry has said that the transfer was instigated by Hibs.
    He wanted to go to Rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    Let just no sell anyone and if It cost too much to keep Commons then dont bother.
    Nobody knows what Commons is being paid, outwith the Hibs Board and Commons himself. These stories about his pay grows arms and legs without foundation.
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    If we sold any of our best players and then failed to go up then the board would need to immigrate.

Im comfortable the squad of today even with no new editions is capable of winning title so hopefully only add to squad.
    I think the board already stay in this country.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    If he can turn draws into wins every so often like he did v Falkirk then he could be vital.
    Exactly the reason we need him. Has the class to make a difference in a tight game.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Couldn't agree more

As we only have 1 striker scoring regularly, and whom you would bet to continue to do so, then the supply from midfield is critical.

I think folk get a bit dewy eyed over our present midfield, all of whom are good players and all of whom can dominate games, without creating gilt edged chances.

The strikers rightly get a bit of stick but a lot of what they are asked to live on are half chances.

I would argue though that the current midfield lack that killer pass that Commons brings or that goal threat

The only truly creative one of them IMO is Shinnie, who has proven to be very up and down creatively IMO and is again IMO a terrible finisher

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Exactly the reason we need him. Has the class to make a difference in a tight game.
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    I think the board already stay in this country.