hibs.net Messageboard

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLake View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It must be tough dropping from £18k down to £10k nevermind £2k. Football players have a short window for earning by playing.
    Never understand when agents and players say they only have a short career so they need to earn as much as possible. They are not barred from working after football.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Never understand when agents and players say they only have a short career so they need to earn as much as possible. They are not barred from working after football.
    Plus if you play for the OF you get a shoe-in to chat on all BBC & ITV fitbaw progs + get your pockets lined to boot .... and no education required.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    exactly, and even if he does sign for us on 2k a week thats a hundred grand a year, not to be sniffed at

United now heavily interested in Commons.

Got a sell on % with Robertson so if his deal goes through it could free up quite a bit of money for them.

Apologies if already been mentioned.

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    It isn't easy for an ex-football player to find a different job paying £2k a week never mind £18k.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sundance Kid View Post
    Tam McManus tweeting 'Dundee United very interested in Kris Commons along with a host of Premiership clubs but again wages a huge stumbling block. Can't afford him'

Then responded to someone who tweeted that with Dundee United due to get in a million from Andrew Robertson's transfer there could be something in it by saying 'That's why I think they are in for him could put some of that towards his wages in a loan deal? Again can't see him leaving Celtic though.'
    s

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I've come to the conclusion that Tam McManus talks pish.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertK86 View Post
    Can't see Commons doing that to Lennon but I suppose you can never say never

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    What is there for Commons at Celtic at this stage in his career? His whole demeanour before he returned to Celtic suggested he was happy at ER, so I'm slightly bemused that Dundee United have entered the scenario. Hibs or Dundee United? The amount of cash each might contribute to his wages is irrelevant to him but might be to Celtic but at the end of the day it's up to him. I've got to say that if he ends up at Tannadice, I'll be disappointed in the guy.

It isn't easy for an ex-football player to find a different job paying £2k a week never mind £18k.
    In the old days retired players used their high profile by either taking over pubs or getting hired as a salesman.
    Not fantastic money I grant you but hey, probably a lot more than the poor punters were on who coughed up every week to cover the said player's wages.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Commons wouldn't go to United. Wouldn't do that to Lennon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    s

What is there for Commons at Celtic at this stage in his career? His whole demeanour before he returned to Celtic suggested he was happy at ER, so I'm slightly bemused that Dundee United have entered the scenario. Hibs or Dundee United? The amount of cash each might contribute to his wages is irrelevant to him but might be to Celtic but at the end of the day it's up to him. I've got to say that if he ends up at Tannadice, I'll be disappointed in the guy.
    Why? He owes Hibs nothing. He'll naturally take what's the best deal for him.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    In the old days retired players used their high profile by either taking over pubs or getting hired as a salesman.
    Not fantastic money I grant you but hey, probably a lot more than the poor punters were on who coughed up every week to cover the said player's wages.
    Except now the pub industry is screwed and there are far less sales jobs. On the other hand, players (even at the likes of Hibs) are better paid than 25± years ago.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Why? He owes Hibs nothing. He'll naturally take what's the best deal for him.
    But in terms of his wages, no matter what club he goes to, he won't get more than his present Celtic wage. What are the elements of the better deal you refer to? Are you thinking, for example, of a new contract next season or a coaching post, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Except now the pub industry is screwed and there are far less sales jobs. On the other hand, players (even at the likes of Hibs) are better paid than 25± years ago.
    I agree Peevemor. The money that even the average players get these days should allow them to set themselves up with a mortgage-free home and a decent bank account by the time the quit playing.
    That's a much better start than your average Joe gets.

No one said they were but that's not really the point. They only have a short time to earn the big money which will allow them and their families to live in comfort for the rest of their lives and any player with a modicum of intellect should be aiming for that. I certainly would have done had I been given the opportunity.......

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    But in terms of his wages, no matter what club he goes to, he won't get more than his present Celtic wage. What are the elements of the better deal you refer to? Are you thinking, for example, of a new contract next season or a coaching post, maybe?
    I'm purely commenting on your being disappointed in him f he goes to DU and saying that if it's a better deal he'll accept it and rightly so.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    I agree Peevemor. The money that even the average players get these days should allow them to set themselves up with a mortgage-free home and a decent bank account by the time the quit playing.
    That's a much better start than your average Joe gets.
    Pay off a mortgage as an average player in scotland? You'd probably still be living at your mum and dads!

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    The stadium lights are on which isn't normally the case. New signing being paraded or utter guff.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    I'm purely commenting on your being disappointed in him f he goes to DU and saying that if it's a better deal he'll accept it and rightly so.
    I understand and agree with you about him going elsewhere if he can get a better deal. But my point is that in terms of his wages, he will only get what his contract with Celtic is. I'm saying that I would be disappointed in him because I don't think that any deal 'add-ons' from us or D Utd would be significantly different. He's got good connections with us, we're in a better place than them and I can't see the attraction for him to in going to Tannadice. That being the case, I would be disappointed if he chose them.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    He will either stay at Celtic until his contract runs out or come to Hibs.

It could well go right to the wire.

If Celtic/Commons can't agree a severance package then it will come down to if we can agree a loan fee with Celtic.

Trouble is if it gets too close to the deadline do Hibs turn their attention elsewhere?

Exactly, they might not being getting the same money as playing but there is still plenty for them to do, coaching, management, punditry gig, journalism etc. and thats just if they want to stay involved in football, nothing to keep them from getting a "normal job" to pay their bills.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    United now heavily interested in Commons.

Got a sell on % with Robertson so if his deal goes through it could free up quite a bit of money for them.

Apologies if already been mentioned.
    I would be very surprised if Commons chose United over hibs tbh. We have a far better team to play in, favourites to win the league, better stadium and training facilities and he has ties with Lennon.

That's called the real world.

I always laugh when they talk about footballers being on "only £2k" or whatever, when most of us will be on a third of that at best.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

They can't all go into coaching/management or tv puditry.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    That's called the real world.

I always laugh when they talk about footballers being on "only £2k" or whatever, when most of us will be on a third of that at best.
    Exactly. Bless the poor wee lambs only being on £100k+ a year, it's a tough life

Roll on tomorrow, busy day for Mr Lennon!!!! One player heading to Hibs from down south.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Roll on tomorrow, busy day for Mr Lennon!!!! One player heading to Hibs from down south.
    Tease !!!

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertK86 View Post
    Tease !!!

Haha if I knew his name I'd fire it up bud. I'll keep digging!

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Pay off a mortgage as an average player in scotland? You'd probably still be living at your mum and dads!
    Actually underscore, I kinda am - in a way.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nick T Muir
    Quote Originally Posted by 21.05.2016 View Post
    Exactly. Bless the poor wee lambs only being on £100k+ a year, it's a tough life
    I don't disagree but when you're a guy like Commons who has been earning 9 times that then you have to be prepared for the adjustment when it comes. He seems a switched on guy so reckon he will be but many aren't quite as clever and end up bankrupt!

It's all relative.

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    He will either stay at Celtic until his contract runs out or come to Hibs.

It could well go right to the wire.

If Celtic/Commons can't agree a severance package then it will come down to if we can agree a loan fee with Celtic.

Trouble is if it gets too close to the deadline do Hibs turn their attention elsewhere?
    Call it a loan fee or whatever the jargon is that is all hibs and Celtic are discussing. Celtic don't need the money with the millions from the champions league so really are just playing games. That's their choice as he is their player.

Quote Originally Posted by Baw187 View Post
    I don't disagree but when you're a guy like Commons who has been earning 9 times that then you have to be prepared for the adjustment when it comes. He seems a switched on guy so reckon he will be but many aren't quite as clever and end up bankrupt!

It's all relative.
    True, it's a big lifestyle change but nevertheless, they'll still be far better off than most. Christ i'd kill to be earning £100k+ a year lol! Your right in what your saying though, it's all relative and players in that position obviously have to learn to live a bit less lavishly than they once did and as you say, some don't adapt to that well and end up in bother. O'Conner probably a classic example of that, lived the high life during his hayday, flash cars, big houses, plenty bling etc. but after his career went tits up I think by what I hear he was keen to still hold onto that lifestyle but couldn't afford to do so anymore and ended up in trouble.

Commons however has played for celtic and seems a well spoken guy who knows the game well, i'm sure once his football playing days are over he'll manage to bag himself a punditry role or the like which may not bring in the same earning as being a player but he certainly wont be badly off.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mjhibby View Post
    Call it a loan fee or whatever the jargon is that is all hibs and Celtic are discussing. Celtic don't need the money with the millions from the champions league so really are just playing games. That's their choice as he is their player.
    Celtic playing games is my take as well, no need in their position.