hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Testimonial Due

Do you think St Mirren are now finished? (NHC)

Looking at the Championship table St Mirren are now 7 points adrift at the bottom of the league, will they go into free fall after this season if they don't arrest their form?
    As the season is already over half way through it does not look good for them.
    Having moved into a new stadium and looked like they were on the up, but if I remember correctly, did Rangers not try to buy them as a way back into the Scottish League after Liquidation?
    It just seems a long time ago when my dad worked in Paisley and I would go along to Wednesday night games when I was through visiting, and they had not a bad support back then around 1965.
    Their fans seem to have deserted them in droves, and if they fall another division it could be one downward step to far!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looking at the Championship table St Mirren are now 7 points adrift at the bottom of the league, will they go into free fall after this season if they don't arrest their form?
    Having moved into a new stadium and looked like they were on the up, but if I remember correctly, did Rangers not try to buy them as a way back into the Scottish League after Liquidation?
    It just seems a long time ago when my dad worked in Paisley and I would go along to Wednesday night games when I was through visiting, and they had not a bad support back then around 1965.
    Their fans seem to have deserted them in droves, and if they fall another division it could be one downward step to far!
    Made a big mistake getting rid off Danny Lennon.

May take a while but they will be back one day. Dunfermline are another club who have had a hard time but they are gradually getting back to where they should be.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    New stadium ? When did they move away ?

@hibs.net private member hibee_nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    New stadium ? When did they move away ?
    Moved from Love St in 2009
    45 AND RISING

Big mistake moving from love st. The new ground looks a bit "bottom of the championship".

Big mistake moving from love st. The new ground looks a bit "bottom of the championship".

No. Not even remotely close. They'll go through a bad season or two or three but they'll surface again - and if much smaller clubs like Ross Co, ICT, etc can exist in the SPL, then there's no reason why they can't be back up there at some point in the future.

@hibs.net private member hibee_nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    At least they did it the correct way to clear their debt by moving instead of the huns and yams method of stiffing everyone so fair play to them. They also had a hand in the yams great league adventure of 86 so are alright by me. 😁
    45 AND RISING

It must be hard enough for them to get youngsters to support them, being so close to Glasgow. I hope they arrest the slide, or that task will become even more difficult. Good luck to them.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    I'd rather see St.mirren in the spl than shight like ross county ict hamilton partick st.johnstone dundee...Infact how those teams are in there and Hibs are below them seriously depresses me

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dchibs View Post
    And replacing him with Tommy Craig. That was the beginning of the end for them. They will see a decent wedge of cash when sjm gets sold and that could be what brings them back up again.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    And replacing him with Tommy Craig. That was the beginning of the end for them. They will see a decent wedge of cash when sjm gets sold and that could be what brings them back up again.
    Indeed.....You would think that any manager winning a cup for them would have been given more leeway.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_nation View Post
    At least they did it the correct way to clear their debt by moving instead of the huns and yams method of stiffing everyone so fair play to them. They also had a hand in the yams great league adventure of 86 so are alright by me. 😁
    That 5-1 probably did them more harm than the one that was meant to finish us as a club.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyhibee View Post
    No. Not even remotely close. They'll go through a bad season or two or three but they'll surface again - and if much smaller clubs like Ross Co, ICT, etc can exist in the SPL, then there's no reason why they can't be back up there at some point in the future.
    It will be a very very long time before they return to the top league if they ever do. Their best chance is league reconstruction. I really fear for the few fans they have left.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    I'd rather see St.mirren in the spl than shight like ross county ict hamilton partick st.johnstone dundee...Infact how those teams are in there and Hibs are below them seriously depresses me
    Quite frankly it's the one up, one down. With a playoff system stacked against changing the SPL.

Turkeys for Christmas. Two up, two down for me.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    It will be a very very long time before they return to the top league if they ever do. Their best chance is league reconstruction. I really fear for the few fans they have left.
    They are one good appointment away from being just fine.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    They won the league cup and were doing alright since moving. Ditching Lennon because they expected better was their problem.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I still don't understand the thought process of them sacking Lennon and hiring Tommy Craig. His managerial failings aside, why sack the manager and then decide his assistant is the man to take the club forward?

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    I hope they'll be okay. It's so difficult for clubs in that area to get support, due to the Old Firm, so I always like to see teams like St Mirren, Partick, Clyde etc get a wee break. I draw the line at Airdrie, however
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    They won the league cup and were doing alright since moving. Ditching Lennon because they expected better was their problem.
    Yep....Did they not go for Ian Murray at that point who turned them down (I know he did eventually end up there) ? No plan B so gave the job to Tommy Craig.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    They must have money problems, my mate Bolton was talking to their last manager who's name escapes me. And he told him if he could make a marquee signing he'd pay him the princely sum of £600 a week.

The ones who are not so good get much less.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_nation View Post
    The also kept those stinking fish-scented, sister-fisting Jambo mitts off the League Cup, so I will retain a soft spot for them for all time.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    They must have money problems, my mate Bolton was talking to their last manager who's name escapes me. And he told him if he could make a marquee signing he'd pay him the princely sum of £600 a week.

The ones who are not so good get much less.
    Alex Rae?

Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    Alex Rae?
    Thats the one.

If you want to advertise that your club is totally ****ed, and you've completely run out of ideas as how to save it- just pick up the phone for Tommy Craig. You don't even have to waste time preparing a press release. They'll get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    If you want to advertise that your club is totally ****ed, and you've completely run out of ideas as how to save it- just pick up the phone for Tommy Craig. You don't even have to waste time preparing a press release. They'll get it.

Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    I still don't understand the thought process of them sacking Lennon and hiring Tommy Craig. His managerial failings aside, why sack the manager and then decide his assistant is the man to take the club forward?
    They had ideas above thier Station
    Lennon fullfilled his brief Keep them in the Top Division and blood youngsters as they have a decent youth set up in the Community
    But they won the League Cup and got greedy and have got into the spiral we did hiring and firing managers but never picking the right man for the job
    Unless they pull a couple of Rabbits put the January Transfer hat i isnt looking good for them at present and the 3 0 defeat to Queen of the South at home when Q of T S hadnt won for a while was a shoker
    Last edited by Ronniekirk; 09-01-2017 at 08:25 PM.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'll always have a soft spot for the way they bent over in 1986 and pumping the Jambo's in the league cup.

I hope they stay up. They're a bigger club than the likes of Hamilton & Ross County

Quote Originally Posted by dchibs View Post
    Good point.
    It has been all down since then.