hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Indeed! He's showing good leadership. What remains yet is who and what kind of person will step into McGuinness's shoes. Do they have anyone of the same magnitude or with similar credentials and influence with the hotter headed elements of the republican movement?
    Caral Ni Chuilin would seem the likely candidate with regards to engaging the dissident elements as a former Provisional IRA volunteer herself and an MLA for 10 years.

Whether she is 'reformed' enough and whether she was a bit too 'hands on' previously could be issues.
    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    That would be in nobody's interest. It will not be allowed to fall.
    It absolutely could fall.

If the uk govt determination to curb eu immigration holds, then logically it means border checkpoints. Border checkpoints that won't be accetpted or tolerated imo

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavinho View Post
    It absolutely could fall.

If the uk govt determination to curb eu immigration holds, then logically it means border checkpoints. Border checkpoints that won't be accetpted or tolerated imo
    Of course it does. Without proper border checkpoints on the Irish border there can't be a limit on immigration. People would be entering illegally, but they would be here none the less.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Of course it does. Without proper border checkpoints on the Irish border there can't be a limit on immigration. People would be entering illegally, but they would be here none the less.
    That clear binary choice should have been driven far harder in the run up to the referendum..

Imo the UK can't enforce its current border without creating a situation that could lead to a return to the troubles in Northern Ireland.

And it can't claim Eu immigration is controlled if it leaves its only overland boundary open as it currently is

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    That clear binary choice should have been driven far harder in the run up to the referendum..

Imo the UK can't enforce its current border without creating a situation that could lead to a return to the troubles in Northern Ireland.

And it can't claim Eu immigration is controlled if it leaves its only overland boundary open as it currently is
    Of course they can't. It's simple, anyone from the EU zone can enter Ireland, if there's no border controls between Ireland and the UK(Northern Ireland in this case) there's nothing to stop EU citizens entering Britain.

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    Martin McGuinness and Gerry Adams both murdering *******s who should have rotted in jail. Hope he suffers as much as his victims.

God bless you Mr Mcguinness for the long agonising struggle you and your fellow folks had upon fighting against a brutal regime.

instead of lying down you fought against it. I'm sorry to hear you are in poor health now but you and other good folk took action against such people who would keep you down.

Glory Glory

Quote Originally Posted by northstandhibby View Post
    God bless you Mr Mcguinness for the long agonising struggle you and your fellow folks had upon fighting against a brutal regime.

instead of lying down you fought against it. I'm sorry to hear you are in poor health now but you and other good folk took action against such people who would keep you down.

Glory Glory
    A post which already draws debate. British gov did highest amount of killing. Ira bombs were wrong but so was Bloody sunday. Blair responsible death millions of people .Hope doesnt see return to worse times
    Last edited by pacorosssco; Today at 05:02 AM.

Ireland's Greatest Import Mr White's Avatar
    This thread isn't really about the merits of republican paramilitary activity in the 70s or the civil rights breaches that many of them felt justified their actions.

It would be a shame if a thread about the current political upheaval in NI can't run on here without deteriorating into abusive or provocative statements about which side was more wrong during the troubles.
    Last edited by Mr White; Today at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    This thread isn't really about the merits of republican paramilitary activity in the 70s or the civil rights breaches that many of them felt justified their actions.

It would be a shame if a thread about the current political upheaval in NI can't run on here without deteriorating into abusive or provocative statements about which side was more wrong during the troubles.
    Well said B.

There's plenty scope for a debate about the actions of the British Governement and the actions of Loyalist and Republican paramilitaries but this really isn't the thread for it.
    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar

Indeed. Paisley and McGuiness have moved on, and so should we.

If only the tribute acts in Scotland could do the same.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pacorosssco View Post
    A post which already draws debate. British gov did highest amount of killing. Ira bombs were wrong but so was Bloody sunday. Blair responsible death millions of people .Hope doesnt see return to worse times
    I totally agree.

It was encouraging to hear Mr McGuinness being lauded by opposition members such as Paisley and I'm sure everyone would wish the peace process to continue with calm measured and moderate debate. Everyone who approaches the NI issues with peace in their minds despite which side they may represent also would generate similar respect and goodwill.

If I had known I could have paid my respects to Mr McGuinness on this thread I would done so instead of starting a thread on main forum.

Apologies admins.

Glory Glory

It's a can of worms for sure. There's been a few statements from various politicians saying it needn't be a big problem but any upheaval over here brings an element of risk. Also the various factions trying to take advantage and/or call foul as things evolve will definitely have an unsettling effect IMO.

The combination of uncertainty, change and assorted hot-headed bampots has the potential to cause a lot of problems. Just got to hope for the best I suppose.
    Gerry Adams said that Brexit will destroy the Good Friday Agreement.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7539011.html

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post

I'm really struggling to see how it can't.

Northern Irish born, irish-siding citizens have citizenship of the Republic of Ireland.

How do you not alienate these people If you are forcing them through a checkpoint crossing from Newry to Dundalk for eg?

And if Theresa May doesn't set up a border, then she simply can't honour the brexit "take back control" mantra
    Last edited by Kavinho; Today at 06:17 PM.

I'm taking anything said by leading politicians over here with an even bigger pinch of salt than usual in the run up to the election in 6 weeks.

Northern Irish born, irish-siding citizens have citizenship of the Republic of Ireland.

How do you not alienate these people If you are forcing them through a checkpoint crossing from Newry to Dundalk for eg?

And if Theresa May doesn't set up a border, then she simply can't honour the brexit "take back control" mantra
    She could set it up at Cairnryan and liverpool docks and classify flights from NI as requiring the same custom controls as those from the EU at British airports.

It would leave NI in a strange limbo with regards to illegal immigrants entering from ROI but that would be entirely preferable to any border control between NI and ROI imo.
    Last edited by Mr White; Today at 08:51 PM.

The Free Movement of People is dependant on no customs checks, so therefore customs checks would have a massive impact. If the UK leaves the customs union and the Freemarket a hard border will be unavoidable.

The Free Movement of People is dependant on no customs checks, so therefore customs checks would have a massive impact. If the UK leaves the customs union and the Freemarket a hard border will be unavoidable.
    There's a lot of negotiation and potential allowance to come before the word unavoidable can be applied to anything brexit related let alone the Irish side of things.

First Team Breakthrough
    She could set it up at Cairnryan and liverpool docks and classify flights from NI as requiring the same custom controls as those from the EU at British airports.

It would leave NI in a strange limbo with regards to illegal immigrants entering from ROI but that would be entirely preferable to any border control between NI and ROI imo.

Youre probably right, but that would alienate unionist NI citizens just as much as it is effectively annexing NI from the mainland & could well lead on to a campaign to unite Ireland

Basically
    She's got a very solid straight metal pole that she somehow has to get the 2 ends to meet..

Youre probably right, but that would alienate unionist NI citizens just as much as it is effectively annexing NI from the mainland & could well lead on to a campaign to unite Ireland

Basically
    She's got a very solid straight metal pole that she somehow has to get the 2 ends to meet..
    She won't be able to please everyone I agree. However I strongly suspect there will be more support amongst the unionist community here for having to flash your uk passport at a designated UK citizens side of customs at Cairnryan port for example than the alternative.

It's all conjecture at this point anyway but a land border in Ireland would be a far bigger upheaval to more individuals and businesses although I accept that either option has the potential to fan the flames of division and aggression on whichever side perceives itself to be hard done by. As I said earlier in the thread Brexit is bad news for NI.