hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar

SINN FEIN'S MARTIN McGUINNESS

McGuinness to resign as Deputy First Minister this evening
    Sinn Fein's Martin McGuinness is to resign this evening as Northern Ireland's Deputy First Minister.
    He'll stand down at 5 o'clock this evening, unless the first minister Arlene Foster agrees to stand aside for a temporary inquiry into the "cash for ash" scandal - a demand that shows no sign of being honoured.
    Last week Sinn Fein presented Foster with a set of proposals for how an independent inquiry into the botched Renewable Heat Initiative could get underway.
    On Friday she responded by saying she could accept those proposals as the basis for further engagement - but refused to concede on the biggest demand, that she step aside while it got underway.
    Sinn Fin insists her interim departure is the only way it can ensure a fair and thorough inquiry - but Foster says standing aside would be a concession of wrongdoing and prejudge the inquiry's findings.
    McGuinness has now announced he will resign as of 5 o'clock this evening if Foster does not agree to stand down for an inquiry before then.
    But with the DUP continuing to dig its heels, the signs are that Northern Ireland is heading for a snap election, possibly before the UK begins the process of invoking Article 50 and leaving the European Union.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Ireland's Greatest Import Mr White's Avatar
    It's a dangerous game both sides are playing imo. It's got the potential to set things back a fair bit and with the looming problems that the effects of brexit are likely to stir up I'm not too confident of progress any time soon over here unfortunately.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Rumour has it that he was going to stand down anyway due to pancreatic cancer. If true then it's a rather cynical ploy on Sinn Fin's part.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a dangerous game both sides are playing imo. It's got the potential to set things back a fair bit and with the looming problems that the effects of brexit are likely to stir up I'm not too confident of progress any time soon over here unfortunately.
    I read a piece by Eamonn Mallie today. Things could get rather difficult, to say the least.

https://t.co/sxb88v5h1G

he finishes the piece with these words,

Sinn Fein is adamant it will not be party to structures as currently operated by the DUP.*
    Sinn Fein might be presumptuous in thinking that the DUP would want to go back into government with it. This could be a double edged sword.
    A political footnote: In August 1969 Gerry Fitt begged Home Secretary Jim Callaghan to send British troops into Northern Ireland to protect his beleaguered constituents.*
    Jim Callaghan’s answer was prophetic: “I can get the army in but it’s going to be a devil of a job to get it out” he declared. ‘Operation Banner’ saw troops leave in July 2007.
    Bringing down the current administration and government is the easy part. Putting it back up is going to be more problematical.
    Arlene and Gerry Adams I remind you – Ash Wednesday is not that far away – March 1 – and ‘ The Ides of March’ come two weeks later. “Be ware!”

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Rumour has it that he was going to stand down anyway due to pancreatic cancer. If true then it's a rather cynical ploy on Sinn Fin's part.
    Not according to him today, although he would say that wouldn't he

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    I haven't been following the story. What's the cash for ash scandal?
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    http://www.thejournal.ie/what-is-cas...77793-Jan2017/

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38307628

It's pretty bad. Arlene Foster was the minister in charge of it's inception and apparently repeatedly ignored advice that the scheme was full of holes and likely to be abused. Many grants given were much larger than the cost of fuel so you've got farmers heating empty barns across the provence and making a profit. It's already cost NI 450m more than it should have and that's going to increase over the years unless they sort it out.

It's pretty bad. Arlene Foster was the minister in charge of it's inception and apparently repeatedly ignored advice that the scheme was full of holes and likely to be abused. Many grants given were much larger than the cost of fuel so you've got farmers heating empty barns across the provence and making a profit. It's already cost NI 450m more than it should have and that's going to increase over the years unless they sort it out.
    For every 1 spent on fuel, they received 1.60 in subsidies from the Government. Nobody went cold over there.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    For every 1 spent on fuel, they received 1.60 in subsidies from the Government. Nobody went cold over there.
    There's been a few fraud charges brought already with more to follow apparently. It was for industrial and commercial buildings only but still, somebody ****ed the dog badly on this, despite plenty warnings that it was a car crash waiting to happen.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar

Right, thanks; I'll have a read about it.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Not according to him today, although he would say that wouldn't he
    He didn't look in particularly good health on the news.

Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    He didn't look in particularly good health on the news.
    Rather gaunt looking.

Rather gaunt looking.
    There's been rumours about his health for a while but nothing official, missed a few key meetings over the last month or two.
    Just hope this doesn't result in any negative actions, it has all come a long way for the better.

Rather gaunt looking.
    I thought he looked like death warmed up. Was also slightly shaky when speaking, so health wise, something isn't right.

Public funds flowing to one side of the community rather than to all.

Anyone from Norn Irn have any more info on this? I've seen a list on #cashforsash on twitter that seems to indicate the DUP looking after their own.

https://t.co/wmJXVTlKiq

This is the list of community halls which received the funds.

C2TiqWlXEAAEiBq.jpg
    Last edited by ronaldo7; 16-01-2017 at 05:50 PM.

Public funds flowing to one side of the community rather than to all.

Anyone from Norn Irn have any more info on this? I've seen a list on #cashforsash on twitter that seems to indicate the DUP looking after their own.

https://t.co/wmJXVTlKiq

This is the list of community halls which received the funds.

C2TiqWlXEAAEiBq.jpg
    I've got no time for extremists on either side of the argument over here but if the result of this particular abuse of power is that the DUP take a tanking at the next election then at least some good will have come out of it.

I was out for a few pints last night with a mate that grew up in an area of Bangor that has a strong UDA presence and his political views are fairly conservative and strongly unionist. He absolutely hates the DUP though and said he thinks this is going to be very damaging for them. I hope he's right.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    I've got no time for extremists on either side of the argument over here but if the result of this particular abuse of power is that the DUP take a tanking at the next election then at least some good will have come out of it.

I was out for a few pints last night with a mate that grew up in an area of Bangor that has a strong UDA presence and his political views are fairly conservative and strongly unionist. He absolutely hates the DUP though and said he thinks this is going to be very damaging for them. I hope he's right.
    What's your take on how things will shape up in the election in the light of Brexit? Is reunification likely to be an issue, or is it too soon for that?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    What's your take on how things will shape up in the election in the light of Brexit? Is reunification likely to be an issue, or is it too soon for that?

I'm really not sure at all re the upcoming election tbh.

I'm worried about the overall consequences of brexit for NI though. Reunification will never be a viable option in my lifetime as far as I can see so anything that stirs up any renewed calls for it is just going to create more division and probably escalate tensions and hostility.

Teresa Villiers should have been replaced as NI secretary once she backed brexit though imo. That should never have been allowed to happen given the situation here. NI needs brexit like a bonfire needs petrol imo.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    I'm really not sure at all re the upcoming election tbh.

I'm worried about the overall consequences of brexit for NI though. Reunification will never be a viable option in my lifetime as far as I can see so anything that stirs up any renewed calls for it is just going to create more division and probably escalate tensions and hostility.

Teresa Villiers should have been replaced as NI secretary once she backed brexit though imo. That should never have been allowed to happen given the situation here. NI needs brexit like a bonfire needs petrol imo.
    Cheers for that.

So is there no alternative to Brexit in NI, in the way that we might have Indy2?

No I don't think there is. To me the vast majority of people here are fairly moderate but the lunatic fringe on both sides have a frightening amount of influence. Give those groups on either side enough reason to feel victimised and it won't take long to escalate back to the bad old days of the troubles. I hope I'm wrong there but that's my fear.

The relative equalibrium we have at the moment is about as good as it gets for now I suspect. Maintaining the power sharing agreement, hopefully with a different unionist element, is the best chance for peace I think.
    Last edited by Mr White; 16-01-2017 at 11:27 PM.

Thanks for that.

Martin McGuinness not seeking re-election, citing being unable to go through a full campaign due to his illness.

https://t.co/6BN4mZKhRx

What will happen to the Good Friday Agreement due to Brexit ? Surely under threat?

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    What will happen to the Good Friday Agreement due to Brexit ? Surely under threat?
    Really hope not but that amongst other things may cause some folks to react. Be really sad if all the hard work fell through.

It's a can of worms for sure. There's been a few statements from various politicians saying it needn't be a big problem but any upheaval over here brings an element of risk. Also the various factions trying to take advantage and/or call foul as things evolve will definitely have an unsettling effect IMO.

The combination of uncertainty, change and assorted hot-headed bampots has the potential to cause a lot of problems. Just got to hope for the best I suppose.

It's a can of worms for sure. There's been a few statements from various politicians saying it needn't be a big problem but any upheaval over here brings an element of risk. Also the various factions trying to take advantage and/or call foul as things evolve will definitely have an unsettling effect IMO.

The combination of uncertainty, change and assorted hot-headed bampots has the potential to cause a lot of problems. Just got to hope for the best I suppose.
    There is Hope. Well done Mr Paisley.

https://t.co/SPfZgrYVSk

There is Hope. Well done Mr Paisley.

https://t.co/SPfZgrYVSk
    Indeed! He's showing good leadership. What remains yet is who and what kind of person will step into McGuinness's shoes. Do they have anyone of the same magnitude or with similar credentials and influence with the hotter headed elements of the republican movement?

That would be in nobody's interest. It will not be allowed to fall.