hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    A who can piss the highest competition in the playground by the sounds of it. I'd suggest the winner is the one with the driest head.

Gordon should have planted him one on behalf of the rest of the world.

Neither have any modern day claims to anything outstanding so the Dons edge it for me as they have far less to be ashamed of.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

2. Log in to remove the advert

Both men are absolute arsewipes. But Aberdeen are blatantly a bigger club than hearts.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanyman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Great.

So Queens Park are the same size as Hibs

Bigger probably, they even have the corners of their stadium filled in.....

City clubs tend to have pretty much the same potential. Sectarianism has distorted this is Scotland with the OF, but it pretty much holds true. Any club in a population centre with investment in stadia and personnel will do well, as people follow winning sides, and all the more so if they are local. Hibs support has increased 50% since the winning of Scottish Cup after 114 years brought glory to the club, and changed the perception of us from lovable losers, to a big club of huge potential (in the Scottish context at any rate.)

For what it's worth, I think Hibs, Hearts and A'deen are pretty much at a similar level. If nitpicking, I would rate Hibs as bit bigger than Hearts. They have had thirty years of financial doping that has distorted the picture, but our support benefited from the club being big in the postwar era when more people went to games. We've always, on the bigger occasions, drawn much larger crowds than Hearts.

Listen to sportsound when I don't go to away games due to work etc.its getting better now.tam macmanus is superb on it.richard Gordon is a bell end.alan Preston really doesn't bother me that much.

In the last 10 years have Hearts have won 1 Scottish Cup and been runners up in the League cup once.

Aberdeen haven't been involved in a Scottish Cup final in that time but have won 1 League Cup and been runners up once.

Hibs have won both trophies and been runners up twice in the Scottish Cup and once in the League Cup during the same period so does that make us better?

Stats can be made to look any way you want. It's not how clubs and their supporters perceive themselves but how others do that determines reputations IMO.
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw.

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Is there fans of any other club who are so obsessed with talking about their size? It's just weird. You would never hear a Man Utd or Liverpool fan constantly trying to convince folk that they are a 'big club' or 'famous' because, well because they are. So cringy.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by NadeAteMyLunch! View Post
    Is there fans of any other club who are so obsessed with talking about their size? It's just weird. You would never hear a Man Utd or Liverpool fan constantly trying to convince folk that they are a 'big club' or 'famous' because, well because they are. So cringy.
    Leeds

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    Leeds
    At least they were famous at one point though. Hearts have never been famous beyond the West end of Princes street.

@hibs.net private member
    At least they were famous at one point though. Hearts have never been famous beyond the West end of Princes street.
    Correct

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Great.

I'd say once were far bigger and we would have aspired to be as good. We are in a group of 3 teams who are clearly better than most over a longer period.

Sent via the bushes @ EM

Difficult one. If we're going on highest ever crowd attendances, Hearts had a higher one than Aberdeen, and we had a higher one than both of them. The Hearts one is actually open to debate, because it was played at Murrayfield against Barcelona (57k), not Tynecastle, and somewhat ironically, Aberdeen's highest attendance was against Hearts in a cup game in 1954 (45k). our highest attendance was also against Hearts (65k) in 1950. Before their 'home' game against Barcelona, their highest attendance was 49k.

Totally agree. Cringey as ****. Wee tadger syndrome is all the rage down tynie way.......
    Last edited by Dr Jimmy; 09-01-2017 at 07:05 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    I'd say Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen are all about the same size club. Roughly the same size of support, all 3 have had some cup success in recent years and had league success in our distant histories but are nowhere near catching the Old Firm

First Team Breakthrough JPrinty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    I'd say Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen are all about the same size club. Roughly the same size of support, all 3 have had some cup success in recent years and had league success in our distant histories but are nowhere near catching the Old Firm
    Agree with this. Although we may not have won as many trophies we have been in more finals than Hearts and close to Aberdeen's total. Also got a better record than Hearts in europe

Hearts and Aberdeen are very close.

My grandfather who is a Rangers man through and through remembers the Hibs golden era and at the time says Hibs were comfortably seen as the third biggest in Scotland...and potentially the biggest. Sadly, we never really kicked on but when he talks about this era he seems confuzzled on how Hibs failed to capitalise on such a period.
    Aren't we all

Pointless argument really.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    In the last 10 years have Hearts have won 1 Scottish Cup and been runners up in the League cup once.

Aberdeen haven't been involved in a Scottish Cup final in that time but have won 1 League Cup and been runners up once.

Hibs have won both trophies and been runners up twice in the Scottish Cup and once in the League Cup during the same period so does that make us better?

Stats can be made to look any way you want. It's not how clubs and their supporters perceive themselves but how others do that determines reputations IMO.
    Yes great cup team in period hibs and stats easy to sway. In league though over a season think were bottom from three. Dons and them finished above us. Yet head to heads not much in
    I dont have to hand but recon on top v dons games v each other but enough behind them sadly.

All clubs similar. Are main rivals and is aim to finish ahead of year in year out. Jambos are size mad and many dons still think fergie in charge but why not what a time for club and last decent challenge to old firm

Quote Originally Posted by pacorosssco View Post
    Yes great cup team in period hibs and stats easy to sway. In league though over a season think were bottom from three. Dons and them finished above us. Yet head to heads not much in
    I dont have to hand but recon on top v dons games v each other but enough behind them sadly.

All clubs similar. Are main rivals and is aim to finish ahead of year in year out. Jambos are size mad and many dons still think fergie in charge but why not what a time for club and last decent challenge to old firm
    Eh?

Quote Originally Posted by pacorosssco View Post

Think you forget to include a link to the deciphering code?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Think you forget to include a link to the deciphering code?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post

Not trying to be smart but I don't think English is paco's first language.

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    what the hell does 'big' even mean. cultural significance, maybe? if so, i think hearts probably win, simply because they are part of the capital city derby, which is an institution in itself. aberdeen could have exploded into a massive force in the 80s, but they didn't, and as things stand, they barely manage to half fill their stadium most weeks even though they've been as close as anyone other than the old firm has been to challenging for the league - seems like even their own city aren't all that arsed. that said, maybe all they need is a scottish cup win - did wonders for us! anyway...it really doesn't matter, and is at best a vaguely interesting thing to consider for 5 minutes before being dismissed as pointless.

Great.

They have a bigger stadium!

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    If they are arguing about what amounts to an opinion, then that would back up what I have always said about how amateurish the Scottish commentators and co-commentators are compared to their English counterparts. Regardless of what you think about them, you just do not hear Gary Neville, Graeme Le Saux etc etc involving themselves in such moronic discussions.....
    Totally agree. I stopped listening to it as it sounded likes fans arguing in the pub. It's is so amateurish and Gordon comes out with so much twaddle it's unreal. As for having Preston covering hibs games. To think we pay for it through the licence fee.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mjhibby View Post
    Totally agree. I stopped listening to it as it sounded likes fans arguing in the pub. It's is so amateurish and Gordon comes out with so much twaddle it's unreal. As for having Preston covering hibs games. To think we pay for it through the licence fee.
    Couldnt agree more that is a shocker that is allowed to happen, his open contempt for Hibs compromises his neutrality. Just done to wind Hibs fans up, as you say amateurish. Was Gordon, the one that came out with the karma comment when Hibs went down? Has he ever explained what he meant by that?

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    What a daft argument, all 3 clubs are very similar, and all 3 at any particular time could pull in more folk through the gates than the other.

Aberdeen have certainly won most, and i personally would have loved it if we'd done what they did in the 80's.

Those days are over for them, and its something thats never returning. If all 3 clubs are fighting for 2nd place in the SPL or whatever its called these days, we are all getting similar crowds with very little between us.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    What a daft argument, all 3 clubs are very similar, and all 3 at any particular time could pull in more folk through the gates than the other.

Aberdeen have certainly won most, and i personally would have loved it if we'd done what they did in the 80's.

Those days are over for them, and its something thats never returning. If all 3 clubs are fighting for 2nd place in the SPL or whatever its called these days, we are all getting similar crowds with very little between us.
    Yep 2 or 3 baldmen arguing over a comb.

It's funny we had the biggest attendance at the pbs lastseason v the saintees and the utd attendance will be the biggest attendances of the two this season. More interested in getting as many as possible to hibs games to help the club and sign good players and am not bothered that we have had the top attendance the last two seasons. They really are the weirdest bunch of Neanderthals and after ripping up their songbook they will be grief stricken at the utd Attendance. Poor wee lambs.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Couldnt agree more that is a shocker that is allowed to happen, his open contempt for Hibs compromises his neutrality. Just done to wind Hibs fans up, as you say amateurish. Was Gordon, the one that came out with the karma comment when Hibs went down? Has he ever explained what he meant by that?
    Doesn't have to explain anything as that comment summed up the programme perfectly. A totally nonsensical,inappropriate comment that shows what he truly is. A bell end. Or as Blackadder would have said,a bounder and a Rotter although I will stop short of saying he deserves to be shot.