hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Should be fun.
    FFS, that's really scraping the barrel ...................................... not.

2. Log in to remove the advert

If ever The Rose needed any further motivation to do well against Hibs, this would be it. Especially for those several players in their team who support Hearts. If any such nonsense does happen, make sure it's after the game and we've won.

I remember not so long ago Auchinleck Talbot were robbed in a cup tie at Tynecastle.

Don't think there's much they can do either if / when we produce the silverware on their halowed rotten turf 😆

Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    If ever The Rose needed any further motivation to do well against Hibs, this would be it. Especially for those several players in their team who support Hearts. If any such nonsense does happen, make sure it's after the game and we've won.

I remember not so long ago Auchinleck Talbot were robbed in a cup tie at Tynecastle.
    Hibs will destroy them. Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by BullsCloseHibs View Post
    Hibs will destroy them. Absolutely.
    That's what I want to see. What I don't want to see is our club giving its opponents (whoever they are) any unnecessary motivation, or worse still under estimating them.

The Rose beat Dumbarton away in the last round. Dumbarton - a team which defeated Hibs not so long ago, and beat Dundee United only last week.

First Team Regular GREEN WARLORD's Avatar
    We should bring it out with ten minutes to go. Failing that, do the half time draw (if there is one) out of the cup with Scott Wilson choking on his mince, as he announces the winner.

That's what I want to see. What I don't want to see is our club giving its opponents (whoever they are) any unnecessary motivation, or worse still under estimating them.

The Rose beat Dumbarton away in the last round. Dumbarton - a team which defeated Hibs not so long ago, and beat Dundee United only last week.
    I don't think walking out as defending champions is giving then any unnecessary motivation..
    they'll be as motivated as they can be for this game.

If anything sight of the cup would be a reward for the achievement of them getting this far.

Perfectly acceptable.
    If this was a home tie, we'd surely bring it out, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Kavinho View Post
    I don't think walking out as defending champions is giving then any unnecessary motivation..
    they'll be as motivated as they can be for this game.

If anything sight of the cup would be a reward for the achievement of them getting this far.

Perfectly acceptable.
    If this was a home tie, we'd surely bring it out, no?
    The bit in bold - I'm not sure mate. It's been a while since the last time.

But seriously, I honestly don't know what previous years cup winners have done, if anything?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

If ever our team needed any further motivation, it would be a reminder that we are the cup holders and defence of our win starts at Tynecastle.

Why shouldn't we show it off? Let's enjoy the fact we are the holders.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar

With you all the way on this one, EG. Despite my light-hearted jibe earlier, best not to be too cocky before any tie no matter who the other team is. We shouldn't be giving any opposition motivation - and that's all this does.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    If ever our team needed any further motivation, it would be a reminder that we are the cup holders and defence of our win starts at Tynecastle.

Why shouldn't we show it off? Let's enjoy the fact we are the holders.
    Why shouldn't we show it off? For the reasons I've already stated above. Plus, we've been showing it off since we won it. Rightly so.

We've been enjoying the fact that we are holders since 21/05/2016. It's now time to concentrate on the defence of our trophy IMO.

What do you mean "it would be a reminder that we are the cup holders"? Seriously? Does any Hibs player need a reminder? Or any further motivation?

My point is not to give our opponents any further motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    With you all the way on this one, EG. Despite my light-hearted jibe earlier, best not to be too cocky before any tie no matter who the other team is. We shouldn't be giving any opposition motivation - and that's all this does.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    If we lose to Bonnyrigg Rise it won't be because they git a wee bit motivation from seeing the cup. What nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    If we lose to Bonnyrigg Rise it won't be because they git a wee bit motivation from seeing the cup. What nonsense.
    Who says the Rose will only get "a wee bit motivation" from seeing the cup?

This is a cup tie against a local team with nothing to lose and everything to gain. Hibs shouldn't give any additional motivation to any opponents. Be professional, respect your opponents (but not too much) then go out and destroy them.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Would it be any different to league champions unfurling the flag at their first home game of the season?

It's our first Scottish cup tie since we won it. Why not milk it as much as possible. Nobody alive has seen Hibs play a tie as holders of this competition so get the cup out there at that midden and grab an opportunity to stick it right up those arrogant deluded ****ers.

Coaching Staff

This is a cup tie against a local team with nothing to lose and everything to gain. Hibs shouldn't give any additional motivation to any opponents. Be professional, respect your opponents (but not too much) then go out and destroy them.
    You think this one thing would take them to the level of being a team that can beat us?

They might and if they do parading a cup would be the least of the issues that would have been at play.

Bringing out the cup will make a team more determined to beat us?? I have not heard so much rubbish in my life. It's not going to be David Gray doing a lap of the pitch with it beforehand as the rest of the team stroll about getting pictures taken with it.

Why would seeing a cup be giving a team more motivation? They already know we are the cup holders, not bringing the trophy isn't going to make them forget.

Next year, if we go to Celtic on the opening day and the unfurl the flag, is it going to make our boys more determined to beat them because they done so? Naw.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Next year, if we go to Celtic on the opening day and the unfurl the flag, is it going to make our boys more determined to beat them because they done so? Naw.
    Mibbe not comparable, as we'll have a flag to unfurl that day as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Mibbe not comparable, as we'll have a flag to unfurl that day as well.
    Not if we're away to Celtic we won't.

The cup has already been to the Heart of Midlothian

Scottish Cup on the Royal Mile.jpg

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Not if we're away to Celtic we won't.
    Should though. Big cousins-wee cousins joint effort likes. Maybe never happened before that two league champions have played each other in the first fixture. Can always furl it up again ready for the more traditional unfurling at the first home game. Or do the fixture list people always give champs a home game first?

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Should though. Big cousins-wee cousins joint effort likes. Maybe never happened before that two league champions have played each other in the first fixture. Can always furl it up again ready for the more traditional unfurling at the first home game. Or do the fixture list people always give champs a home game first?
    They normally do, until this year they had rangers at home and Celtic away.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    You think this one thing would take them to the level of being a team that can beat us?

They might and if they do parading a cup would be the least of the issues that would have been at play.
    Where did I say that? Re-read my posts. My point is that no club should give their opposition any additional motivation.

I don't think The Rose will beat Hibs, though they have already beaten a team which plays in the same league.

Hibs need to treat this match very seriously, and not under estimate them.

Bringing out the cup will make a team more determined to beat us?? I have not heard so much rubbish in my life. It's not going to be David Gray doing a lap of the pitch with it beforehand as the rest of the team stroll about getting pictures taken with it.

Why would seeing a cup be giving a team more motivation? They already know we are the cup holders, not bringing the trophy isn't going to make them forget.

In my experience, yes it will. Motivation plays a very big part in any team performance. A well motivated team always plays better than one lacking in motivation. That's been my experience of both playing and watching football.

All I'm saying is it's best not to give them any additional motivation. They will as you say be motivated enough.

I just don't think it's a good idea.

Clearly you and the poster above disagree, but there you go. Just my opinion FWIW.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Hibs just need to ask Bonnyrigg if they had any objections.

They won't have, but that courtesy and respect would reduce any possible "motivation factor".
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Alan Stubbs walking onto the pitch with the cup at H/T would be fantastic. Players will be getting team talks in the ****ty wee dressing rooms so won't effect them in anyway.

What a crass idea.

Not Hibs class at all.

And most unwise, given what happened when we paraded the CIS cup after a derby defeat.

Crass idea? Seems like a great idea to me.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    What a crass idea.

Not Hibs class at all.

And most unwise, given what happened when we paraded the CIS cup after a derby defeat.
    What happened?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    What happened?
    Knowing we were going to parade the cup after the game made Andy McNeil drop a cross.