hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lewy's shades

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    We all love wee Lewie, but to compare him to shades is an insult to one of the finest left backs ever to wear the colours

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Nope, and I haven't even seen Shaedler play!

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    It was probably The Record but I remember a photo of a mid winter training session and Schaedes was in skins... Hard as nails. I love Lewis but even David Murphy never came close to how good he was in that position.

Quote Originally Posted by West lower View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Steve Fulton has a cup medal too. Guess that makes him a better midfielder than Pat Stanton too then.
    Amusing as it is ...... how can you even think of Pat Stanton's name in the same moment as Steve Fulton.................... such an insult Yuck!!!

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by West lower View Post
    Yeah, I was just thinking Scottish cup. Can't get it out my head these days.
    Pat Stanton won the Scottish Cup with Celtc in 1977.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    It was probably The Record but I remember a photo of a mid winter training session and Schaedes was in skins... Hard as nails. I love Lewis but even David Murphy never came close to how good he was in that position.
    I like Lewis but Shades was different classes. The fittest player in Scotland in his hay day .The 7th goal at Tynecastle sums him up Just watch his desire to win the ball

Quote Originally Posted by hhibs View Post
    Sorry ,you are either young or deluded.

Lewis I like and rate as a full back,but not near the talent of Shades.
    Probably young, not deluded, and never had the chance to see Shades in the flesh.

Shades was the hardest full back I have ever seen ( hard not dirty), his tackle prior to Alan Gordon's 2nd (Hibs 7th) at Tyncastle epitomises that but you must remember that was over 40 years ago.

Youngsters now will see Lewis's achievement of being the only Hibs player to have won both cups as remarkable, (which it is), and will make comparisons with previous players.

To get back to Alan Gordon and that goal, he was one of the best headerers of a ball, (if that's a word) I have ever seen. I remember a diving header against Aberdeen as well and if he hadn't listened to a shout from Tony Higgins at Elland Road we would have beaten Leeds Utd too,

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by northstandhibby View Post
    I was a young lad when I saw Shades play. He was according to the best of my memory a tenacious hard as teak quality full back. he was quick and was a player who would never shirk from putting in a tackle or putting the opponent into the advertising billboards if need be. He was also good at getting up and down the line if I remember rightly.

It would be good to hear from slightly older fans as to how they recall Shades as I was very young at the time.

Lewis played very well last night with Boyle taking some pressure from him as per getting up and down the wing and Lewis and Gray were far better concentrating on defending with Humphrey on the other wing.

Its always difficult comparing players from different eras. They're both legends from different points in time and both played under different circumstances as it was a much more physically tolerated game when Shades played.

Both deservedly Hibs Legends.

Glory Glory
    Shades was a brick **** house on a motorbike and a very fine player :-) with a ridiculously long throw. I doubt there was any player looked forward to playing against him. Shades was a fitness fanatic with muscles on his muscles before being fit was fashionable!

I can't say I remember any cynical stuff either like what the Sloop was a master at ... and at it quite often he was too :-)

Lewis is a legend but for other reasons.

Completely agree about comparing players, indeed anything, from different eras. It's just not fair.
    Last edited by Jack; 07-01-2017 at 10:55 PM.

Add: I think much of Shades "hardness" came from being a black belt in something or other which gave him the benefit of being able to put himself about with little likelihood of being hurt himself.
    Space to let

Different players and comparing them is wholly unrealistic. What is true is that both of them (had Erich lived obviously) would have been receiving free drinks from grateful Hibs fans years after they had finished playing. Both will continue to live fondly in my memory.......

Pat Stantons tongue in cheek description of Erich was "he's fast , he's hard, he wins the ball and gives it to someone who can do something with it" Erich was a good bit more than that, he was a real character who would run thru brick walls, one of the fittest players of his era.