hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laidlaw

Hybrid View

Left by mutual consent!

Laidlaw

Asked a question at 2-0 and answered it. 2 decent keepers on the books for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Asked a question at 2-0 and answered it. 2 decent keepers on the books for a change.
    I agree. Laidlaw was solid and his save in the 2nd half was pivotal. United heads dipped visibly after his acrobatic and brilliant leap to push away a goalbound shot.
    Last edited by Hi Heid Yin; 07-01-2017 at 03:10 AM.

Has never let us down and will be a tough decision for lennon when rocky is fit. Makes a change 2 have 2 able and reliable keepers

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I like Marciano and happy to have him but I fully believe we may have found a potential long term keeper in Laidlaw. Looks safe as houses and is doing everything right as far as I can tell.

Its going to be a tough one for NL once Marciano is fit .... Laidlaw has been more than competent in all the games he has played as has Rocky ... but unfortunately for Laidlaw Lennon clearly sees Marciano as his 'go to' keeper. But if Marciano doesn't want to commit to Hibs long term Laidlaw is making a good case for the number 1 spot next season.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Its going to be a tough one for NL once Marciano is fit .... Laidlaw has been more than competent in all the games he has played as has Rocky ... but unfortunately for Laidlaw Lennon clearly sees Marciano as his 'go to' keeper. But if Marciano doesn't want to commit to Hibs long term Laidlaw is making a good case for the number 1 spot next season.
    Marciano is on a different level...will be back in when fit..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Marciano is on a different level...will be back in when fit..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Not sure about that. Since both have been at the club both have performed well but generally neither has had s lot to do.

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    Outstanding last night

He dealt with all balls back to him, came out once or twice to sweep up, so he was very focused even though a quiet night for him. It's nice to see defenders have the confidence to use him with passes back if and when necessary and his kicking is generally very good.
    As others said finally 2 really decent keepers that don't give us palpitations when the ball is played back etc :)

@hibs.net private member hibbymick's Avatar
    He was never really bothered tonight, the header was straight at him so more a reflex save....the boys done well for us though.

I'd say his save in the second half was pivotal to the result.

Had that gone in we could have been in familiar territory with an edgy team trying to hang on to a narrow lead.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    I'd say his save in the second half was pivotal to the result.

Had that gone in we could have been in familiar territory with an edgy team trying to hang on to a narrow lead.
    Agreed. Super stop and whole team seemed to get a lift and the crowd really got behind the team. When SJM came on the place was buzzing. And that goal......

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by southsider View Post
    Agreed. Super stop and whole team seemed to get a lift and the crowd really got behind the team. When SJM came on the place was buzzing. And that goal......
    Decent enough save but think it looked better than what it actually was.

Would have been disappointed if it had gone in

Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    Decent enough save but think it looked better than what it actually was.

Would have been disappointed if it had gone in
    You're cheery eh. Between the save and Humphrey's cross, you really hate giving praise

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    You're cheery eh. Between the save and Humphrey's cross, you really hate giving praise
    I will give praise when I feel it deserves it. I said it was a decent enough save but just felt after seeing it again on the telly when I got home that it was quite comfortable for him.

And don't tell me that you also think it was a pass from Humphrey for the first goal?? Oh you think it was a cross? From the edge of the box? Bloody hell

@hibs.net private member
    I noticed that the whole bench was applauding the save. He really done well last night.

I really like the lad. Amazing to think he was warming a bench at Raith Rovers last season.
    I think Rocky has the edge meantime but fully agree with the posters that say he could very well be a long term keeper for us.

In a quiet way Laidlaw has been a great signing.

Not saying he's a world beater and maybe not massively commanding for a big guy but what a job he's done. If a number 2 comes on for a lot of games and it makes no difference then that's pretty amazing.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    General assumption is that Laidlaw doesn't play when Marciano is fit. Wouldn't be surprised if he knows this too but he must be in the frame for the jersey long term if and when Marciano leaves.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    General assumption is that Laidlaw doesn't play when Marciano is fit. Wouldn't be surprised if he knows this too but he must be in the frame for the jersey long term if and when Marciano leaves.
    He is on a years contract. NL called him into his office just before Xmas. The lad was bricking it bul Neil said he was doing well and they would talk about an extension of his contract.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    He is on a years contract. NL called him into his office just before Xmas. The lad was bricking it bul Neil said he was doing well and they would talk about an extension of his contract.
    Does he want to stay?

Wasn't troubled much yesterday but what a brilliant save he made at 2-0. If they had scored that and made it 2-1 they could have perked up and pressed us more for another.

Laidlaw and the back 4, and Bartley, all played very well last night, and were rewarded with a clean sheet.

Bartley did a great job of stopping Utd getting to run at and attack the back 4. They in turn did a great job of closing down, marshalling utd's forward players, and stopping the ball coming into troublesome areas near Laidlaw. On the odd occasion that Utd did threaten down one side, the other side tucked in well and backed up their teammates (Gray's header in the 6 yard box). On the odder occasion that Utd got the better of them, laidlaw was always in the right place at the right time, and made the good save he needed to. Arguably he could have come for a few more high balls, but with a clean sheet and the performance it would be very hard to criticise.

I'd also add that both Humphrey and Boyle did an excellent job of helping their fullbacks, McGeouch supported Bartley in keeping Utd from running at the defence, and keeping the midfield shape.

overall, I'd say as a team Hibs were very solid defensively, from front to back, through teamwork, effort, tactical nous and no little skill. All of that was impressive as well as the superb attacking play we put together at times.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Does he want to stay?
    Oh yes. Loves it here. Glad of chance to play in front of big crowds for such a big club.

Oh yes. Loves it here. Glad of chance to play in front of big crowds for such a big club.
    Keeps playing like he has been and he's welcome to continue to do so for as long as he likes! Its nice to have a good young keeper. Saying that even Marciano is young in keeper terms.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    That's great to hear, hope he does get an extended deal. Goalies seem to improve with age

A position I have complete and utter confidence in whether it's our first or second choice playing

Only had 1 save to make and at such a crucial time in the game it was massive.

Excellent distribution all game which again was crucial because when there's no confidence in the keeper's ability to clear a ball you can sense the unease in the stadium.

Well played Ross

I've more faith in Marciano but that's more gut feeling than anything. It is going to be the real test next year- when we're back in the premier ;)

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Just watched the Raith v Falkirk goals on YouTube and whoever they have in goals now didn't have the best of games.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    Just watched the Raith v Falkirk goals on YouTube and whoever they have in goals now didn't have the best of games.
    Shocking goalkeeping - so much so I'd be checking his football coupon to see if he had Falkirk +3 😀