hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rogue one

Testimonial Due RoslinInstHibby's Avatar

Rogue one

What a fantastic movie, loved it....the last 40 mins are up there with the the best of anything in the star wars genre

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by hwuhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What a fantastic movie, loved it....the last 40 mins are up there with the the best of anything in the star wars genre
    Went today thought it was fantastic.

As an aside what's people's thoughts on 3d I'm not overly keen myself.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Saw it on Thursday night, absolutely loved it. It hit the mark perfectly IMHO, considering it was introducing whole new characters to the series and still needed to link in to episode four, I thought they did it superbly.

The action sequences were really good and the second half of the movie was incredible.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Was it better than the Phantom Menace? Because I thought that was amazing, as good as A New Hope (although possibly not as good as The Empire Strikes Back).

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Flynn74
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Was it better than the Phantom Menace? Because I thought that was amazing, as good as A New Hope (although possibly not as good as The Empire Strikes Back).
    Much, much better. Only Empire Strikes Back is a better film imo. It's better than Return of the Jedi and on a par with A New Hope.

Mr Plinkett's Youtube prequel reviews are more entertaining than episodes 1-3 imo.

Check them out. They're a hoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    Much, much better. Only Empire Strikes Back is a better film imo. It's better than Return of the Jedi and on a par with A New Hope.

Mr Plinkett's Youtube prequel reviews are more entertaining than episodes 1-3 imo.

Check them out. They're a hoot.
    i meant A Force Awakens. Only an idiot would put phantom menace alongside a new hope.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Going to see this on Thursday and can't wait.

Heard the ending is amazing.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

I seen it today thought it was superb need to get round to watching " A force awakens"!

i meant A Force Awakens. Only an idiot would put phantom menace alongside a new hope.
    I didn't mind the prequel trilogy at all think some of the bad Press is just people nitpicking sure some of the casting could have been better,think jar jar binks puts a lot of people off the 3 films.

Personally think rogue 1 could be the best yet quality casting and an amazing ending.

Superb film.

The only thing I didn't like was the computer generated 'Peter Cushing'

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Could I take my nearly 8 year old to watch it? He's seen the other films.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Superb film.

The only thing I didn't like was the computer generated 'Peter Cushing'
    I saw it last night and I thought that and the other computer generated character who appeared at the end *no spoiler* worked perfectly. The whole film threaded really well into A New Hope right down to uniform detail, cladding on the buildings, and lots of wee cameos from minor New Hope characters.

Just as good as the last one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Could I take my nearly 8 year old to watch it? He's seen the other films.
    Yes. My 9 year old was fine with it, no scarier than the other films.

I can't wait to see it.

The first 3 were generally panned but episode 3 was my favourite of the whole series. It was very dark, and I loved the way you got to see all the pieces falling into place which basically left you at the start of A New Hope. As a kid I watched and watched and watched that film so I was very familiar with it so it was really interesting (for me) whilst knowing basically how it ended, seeing how it all came to pass.

I liked Force Awakens and even without having seen the new film I really like what they're doing with the new films.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Saw it yesterday and it was really good.

K-2SO made me laugh a few times.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

I'm a big massive Star Wars fan and went to see it last night...and thought it was alright. Just alright.

Well acted, great dialogue, amazing effects. But the story was quite confusing at first, I was starting to lose count of the planets they were on! My two kids who loved The Force Awakens thought the same.

Might go and see it again, mind.

Yes. My 9 year old was fine with it, no scarier than the other films.
    Watched it last night with him and he loved it. I'm not a big star wars fan but I did enjoy it even though the plot was pretty transparent. I knew after about 10 mins how it would end.

Watched it last night with him and he loved it. I'm not a big star wars fan but I did enjoy it even though the plot was pretty transparent. I knew after about 10 mins how it would end.
    What? I thought he was tucked up in bed?

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    It's decent, nothing more than that, the effects for Tarkin and a few others I won't mention were OTT and weren't done that we'll in my opinion, should have just used stand ins with camera angles or used them more sparingly

Very good, thats funny! :-)

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Went to see it today - it was passable - better than Episodes I-III, but paled to Episodes IV-VII for me.

Didn't feel any of the characters were well developed, and the start was very slow (partly on account of all of the jumping about). It was unredemptive (as I knew it would be given the timeline/story - it's the Halo Reach of the Star Wars Universe), and I thought it tried to hard to put enough nostalgia (well, forward looking nostalgia) to keep fans happy.

The last half hour was indeed excellent watching but I really didn't like the CGI of either character - the last one who shows up just looked daft, particularly when the camera zoomed in - felt they could have handled that much better.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Went to see it today - it was passable - better than Episodes I-III, but paled to Episodes IV-VII for me.

Didn't feel any of the characters were well developed, and the start was very slow (partly on account of all of the jumping about). It was unredemptive (as I knew it would be given the timeline/story - it's the Halo Reach of the Star Wars Universe), and I thought it tried to hard to put enough nostalgia (well, forward looking nostalgia) to keep fans happy.

The last half hour was indeed excellent watching but I really didn't like the CGI of either character - the last one who shows up just looked daft, particularly when the camera zoomed in - felt they could have handled that much better.
    I think it's fairly early days for that kind of technology and as it develops I'm sure they'll tweak it a touch and make it look better.

I saw it yesterday and thought it was superb.

Great action scenes and I liked the story. I like the fact that it was off at a tangent and only had brief touching points with the familiar characters.

Had to read it about 20 times before the penny finally dropped.

Had to read it about 20 times before the penny finally dropped.
    I bet the wee scamp told you he'd never seen it before

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar
    Not long back and really enjoyed that film. The battle scenes towards the end were excellent and the CGI, especially on Peter Cushing I thought was really well done. Already looking forward to Episode VIII next year.

Looks like I'm in the minority but I thought it was just ok.

SPOILERS AHEAD!

The opening half hour jumped about a lot which is understandable with so many new characters to introduce. I'm not convinced many of them landed properly though - Saw Gerrera for example or the pilot, their motives were a bit under cooked.

I like the fact it explores that not everyone in the Empire is evil and every Rebel a hero. The bleakness overall is certainly interesting for Star Wars and maybe gets kids thinking differently. But it does also make me personally less inclined to revisit this and watch multiple times.

There are a few interesting pieces online which look back on some of the Rogue One trailers and there's a lot of material which doesn't make the final cut. I think that shows they weren't entirely sure of the story they wanted to tell. Whilst the final version is good, still feels a bit of a missed opportunity to me.

Having said that I loved the Vader and Tarkin scenes. Also the red/gold leaders from Episode IV and the way it linked directly to that films opening. Jedi inspired Zatoichi was also a great new character

I would imagine we will see a title and trailer for Episode VIII early in the new year so not long for our next Star Wars fix!

I loved it. First 20 minutes I felt it jumped about too much but suppose they were just setting the scene. After that it was just brilliant and the scenes in that planet with the water/beaches (can't remember what it was called) were amazing.

Got to admit when they announced new Star Wars films I thought it would ruin it but I couldn't be more wrong. The Force Awakens and Rogue One have been class, can't wait for the next ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    I'd put it third behind Empire and A New Hope. I think it would be sacrilegious to rank A New Hope lower!

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Just saw it today having somehow managing to avoid all spoilers.

Loved it from start to finish. The last 10 minutes were just great though. Vader showing how he's one of the all time great villains.

Would have rather the CGI characters were less utilised, anyone see a resemblance between Tarkin and Snoke?

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Absolutely amazing an emotional ending, fantastically seamless link to the next film!!
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."