hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As we're discussing the Queen's speech, just over 7.8 million people tuned in to listen to her lecture her subjects, that means around 55 million never bothered.

Polls eh
    Just because people didn't watch the Queen's speech on Christmas Day, doesn't mean that they want the monarchy to be abolished.

I watched her speech and I would personally have the monarchy abolished so that doesn't mean anything.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Just because people didn't watch the Queen's speech on Christmas Day, doesn't mean that they want the monarchy to be abolished.

I watched her speech and I would personally have the monarchy abolished so that doesn't mean anything.
    Neither do the polls.

Quote Originally Posted by SiMar View Post
    William has spent the last 8 years as either a RAF search and rescue pilot or an air ambulance pilot so I would suggest he has probably helped quite a few 'others' along the way.

Not sure what Harry has been up to though...

Not a fan of the royals but I find the constant criticism rather tiring as well to be honest.
    Whoosh!

@hibs.net private member johnbc70's Avatar
    As we're discussing the Queen's speech, just over 7.8 million people tuned in to listen to her lecture her subjects, that means around 55 million never bothered.

Polls eh
    It was also the most popular and watched TV event over Christmas in the UK, for the second year running.

They rejected 51 more suitable candidates in 1714 before appointing Dode the first. Bin it after Lizzie

Quote Originally Posted by jodjam View Post
    They rejected 51 more suitable candidates in 1714 before appointing Dode the first. Bin it after Lizzie
    George I got the gig because he would do what parliament told him to do. Which is how it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post
    It was also the most popular and watched TV event over Christmas in the UK, for the second year running.
    That's the case against republicanism quashed then. Well done

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Hasn't the C4 alternative queen's speech turned into a right load of bollocks over the years.

I recall the first one being by Quentin Crisp and was quite clever.

I am sure you will know I was replying to the comment that as 'only' 7.8M watched it on TV that it was somehow a sign of the declining popularity, but as pointed out it was the most popular TV event in the UK.

I am sure you will know I was replying to the comment that as 'only' 7.8M watched it on TV that it was somehow a sign of the declining popularity, but as pointed out it was the most popular TV event in the UK.
    Its a tradition, like eating sprouts.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Glad I've got Netflix.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Its a tradition, like eating sprouts.
    I like sprouts mair than the monarchy
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Hope you enjoyed yer lecture. You've got to love the Irish.

15747455_1307075262698388_8240639052843452460_n.jpg

Hope you enjoyed yer lecture. You've got to love the Irish.

15747455_1307075262698388_8240639052843452460_n.jpg
    I never watched it.

I never watched it.
    One of the Enlightened.

I think we will be seeing King Charles pretty soon. E2 is pretty stable, middle of the road. She's given one opportunity a year to directly address her subjects but what we get is bland, insipid, "don't rock the boat" style riddles which everyone can generally agree with and hacks in the media can dissemble...like her frown at the Olympics or an apparent faint glimmer in her eye in the national obscenity of the opening of parliament when she reads out the latest hammering of the poorest.

The Royals aren't supposed to be political of course, but while politicians are not our moral leaders, there is a vacuum and they may as well fill it.

Charles, in fairness to him, is a more radical and opinionated figure. Climate change and the environment are two of his main issues and very timely it would be to have a significant public figure giving that primary threat to our existence the attention and leadership it needs.

I expect and hope that Charles won't be a fence sitting monarch like E2. My money is on finding out in 12-18 months time.
    Last edited by steakbake; 28-12-2016 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post
    I think we will be seeing King Charles pretty soon. E2 is pretty stable, middle of the road. She's given one opportunity a year to directly address her subjects but what we get is bland, insipid, "don't rock the boat" style riddles which everyone can generally agree with and hacks in the media can dissemble...like her frown at the Olympics or an apparent faint glimmer in her eye in the national obscenity of the opening of parliament when she reads out the latest hammering of the poorest.

The Royals aren't supposed to be political of course, but while politicians are not our moral leaders, there is a vacuum and they may as well fill it.

Charles, in fairness to him, is a more radical and opinionated figure. Climate change and the environment are two of his main issues and very timely it would be to have a significant public figure giving that primary threat to our existence the attention and leadership it needs.

I expect and hope that Charles won't be a fence sitting monarch like E2. My money is on finding out in 12-18 months time.
    We won't see a King Charles. He will most likely be George VII. Charles is considered an 'unlucky' name and Charles has already strongly hinted he will take George as his regnal name.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    We won't see a King Charles. He will most likely be George VII. Charles is considered an 'unlucky' name and Charles has already strongly hinted he will take George as his regnal name.
    Charles II did OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    OK - then my post still stands, except switch "Charles" for "George".

Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post
    OK - then my post still stands, except switch "Charles" for "George".
    Apologies I think my reply came across as more arsey than I intended.

FWIW I don't think we will see much change in the direction of the monarchy anytime soon. Charles may well be used as something of a figurehead by green groups but I think his personal comment will be minimal or deliberately vague. Both he and the team around him will be aware of his relative unpopularity in comparison to his mother and so and I think that will focus minds.

On a more general note I think the royals have found a formula that works in recent years. I think the reaction to the death of Diana forced a softening of the image. The Queen both misread and mishandled the situation and the public mood and was portrayed as cold and uncaring. It was only a very public nod of the head that saved her from dealing with unprecedented levels of popularity. The criticism in the months that followed from Earl Spencer in which he accused senior royals, including the Queen, of being more concerned with protocol and tradition than genuinely caring for their family and showing real maternal and paternal feeling was very much at odds with the 'everyone mucking in' wholesome family life the press had previously tried to portray, especially when they were at Balmoral. Since the death of the Queen Mother and Princess Margaret in a short period of time there was a real drive to move the Queen into the position of benevolent matriarch; the bland, middle of the road speeches and dialogue are all part of that. It works and I can't see Charles being allowed to meddle with it too much.
    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

@hibs.net private member
    To be honest I think the best thing for Charles to do would be to pass and give the crown to William.

At least that way we would see more of Kate compared to Camilla

Quote Originally Posted by SiMar View Post
    To be honest I think the best thing for Charles to do would be to pass and give the crown to William.

At least that way we would see more of Kate compared to Camilla
    He was right about the National Gallery extension, though.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Is there still a known descendant of the old Scottish Kings kicking around today? Duncan Canmore or whoever it was in the 11 th C was the one I remember?

Me. I am the 21st-generation Grandson of King Robert the Bruce. One of my cousins with too much time on his hands did our genealogy a few years back and emailed me the list.

And in the interests of accuracy (nay, pedantry, even) it was Malcolm Canmore (aka Bigheid) who followed Macbeth who murdered Duncan and got killed by a walking forest.

According to Shakespeare.

Who was English.

"Once one accepts that one has bear-hugged full-blown barking there is great comfort in the bright lights and noises of the wibble-wibble show ..."

@hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    Me. I am the 21st-generation Grandson of King Robert the Bruce. One of my cousins with too much time on his hands did our genealogy a few years back and emailed me the list.

And in the interests of accuracy (nay, pedantry, even) it was Malcolm Canmore (aka Bigheid) who followed Macbeth who murdered Duncan and got killed by a walking forest.

According to Shakespeare.

Who was English.
    The Bruce family is very much alive and kicking and own quite a bit of land in the North and East of Scotland. I used to work beside one of them.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    The Bruce family is very much alive and kicking and own quite a bit of land in the North and East of Scotland. I used to work beside one of them.

Indeed. IIRC Lord Elgin was Queen's Commissioner to the General Assembly a few years back. Seemed a decent chap, actually.

We should, of course, bear in mind that the way old Robert the B (not to mention some of his intermediate descendants) put themselves about, half the Scottish population, plus a whole lot of people in Africa and the West Indies can claim to be descended from him.

Lotta Bruce blood about, actually.

Which is rather the drawback of the hereditary principle - it only REALLY works if the male members of the dynasty keep their pants zipped and the females keep their knees together except in the presence of their lawful spouses ...

Otherwise you may (for example and purely for argument's sake) get a ginger in a family where no gingers have gone before ...

"Once one accepts that one has bear-hugged full-blown barking there is great comfort in the bright lights and noises of the wibble-wibble show ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    Indeed. IIRC Lord Elgin was Queen's Commissioner to the General Assembly a few years back. Seemed a decent chap, actually.

We should, of course, bear in mind that the way old Robert the B (not to mention some of his intermediate descendants) put themselves about, half the Scottish population, plus a whole lot of people in Africa and the West Indies can claim to be descended from him.

Lotta Bruce blood about, actually.

Which is rather the drawback of the hereditary principle - it only REALLY works if the male members of the dynasty keep their pants zipped and the females keep their knees together except in the presence of their lawful spouses ...

Otherwise you may (for example and purely for argument's sake) get a ginger in a family where no gingers have gone before ...
    Something like this?

Harry-Hewitt.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Isn't the Earl of Elgin a descendent?

Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    Isn't the Earl of Elgin a descendent?
    I looked it up and following jacobites the 'rightful' King of Scotland is the Duke of Bavaria.
    Last edited by Haymaker; 02-01-2017 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    I looked it up and following jacobites the 'rightful' King of Scotland is the Duke of Bavaria.
    This dude?

There is no rightful king of Scotland IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This dude?

There is no rightful king of Scotland IMO
    Hence the ' ' round rightful!

Apparently he doesn't acknowledge the claim
    21.05.2016. I Was There.

.net PM board "Biggest Slaver of the year 2014"

Less talk, more gifs. :