hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Team v Houston

I'd put Bartley in the middle against these thugs. Probably in place of Shinnie and give Martin more of a free role.

Commons or Boyle is a tough one. Look at the impact Boyle made when he came on against tired legs but commons has contributed almost nothing in the 2 games he's played

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd put Bartley in the middle against these thugs. Probably in place of Shinnie and give Martin more of a free role.

Commons or Boyle is a tough one. Look at the impact Boyle made when he came on against tired legs but commons has contributed almost nothing in the 2 games he's played
    Certain red card for Bartley!!!!

Every time he goes near them they will go down rolling about, and with our luck with refs, we will be down to 10 men!

Play them with a fast game on the deck, push through the channels, this takes out their big slow centrehalfs!!!

Stop going down the wings, players running the channels are harder to defend against!

Make them have to make last ditch challenges in and around their penalty area.

A forward running straight towards goal has a better chance of hitting the target!!!!!

They are still 9 points behind us after today but are in a play off position. If we end up second it won't matter what the result is because we are almost certain to be meeting them in the play offs again this season. I would therefore attack them and leave out Bartley and fontaine.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Seemingly they were out played by the Pars today and stole a point. Let's take the game to them on Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    Laidlaw

Forster
    MCGregor
    Hanlon
    Crane

McGeouch
    Martin
    Commons
    Stevenson

Cummings
    Keatings
    Hmmm!! Controversial? Maybe?

No Gray? Controversial!!

If that's the case I'd have no Stevenson as well. At least, I wouldn't put him in midfield. Don't see how that would benefit the team. If you want 4 man midfield I'd put Shinnie in there just behind the front 2. Dylan and Kris centre mid and let Martin be the link from back to front.

A much more attack minded 11. Effectively 6 in advanced positions rather than the 6 in defence approach Lennon seems to adopt in away games.

Laidlaw

Gray
    McGregor
    Hanlon
    Stevenson

Martin
    McGeogh
    Commons
    Boyle

Cummings
    Keatings

Back 4 and keeper take care of themselves.

The width gray and Stevenson provide as a 3-5-2 hasn't been working for me. Due to lack of support and poor deliveries/quality. Ultimately final balls would be better played by Commons, Keatings or Boyle.

Midfield has:
    -bite and legs (Martin)
    -brains, passing and tempo (dylan)
    -width and creativity (commons and boyle)

Upfront I would add more pace in Keatings and play him with Cummings as they are the best finishers.
    Deliberately leave out a target man as neither Holt or Graham win much in the air. It should hopefully reduce the amount of pointless aerial balls we play.
    The idea of a smaller striker playing off Holt has also failed IMO. His poor goals record could be accommodated if he was teeing regular chances up.

Finally, higher tempo, more pressing and controlled aggression.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan the Man View Post
    Laidlaw

Gray
    McGregor
    Hanlon
    Stevenson

Martin
    McGeogh
    Commons
    Boyle

Cummings
    Keatings

Back 4 and keeper take care of themselves.

The width gray and Stevenson provide as a 3-5-2 hasn't been working for me. Due to lack of support and poor deliveries/quality. Ultimately final balls would be better played by Commons, Keatings or Boyle.

Midfield has:
    -bite and legs (Martin)
    -brains, passing and tempo (dylan)
    -width and creativity (commons and boyle)

Upfront I would add more pace in Keatings and play him with Cummings as they are the best finishers.
    Deliberately leave out a target man as neither Holt or Graham win much in the air. It should hopefully reduce the amount of pointless aerial balls we play.
    The idea of a smaller striker playing off Holt has also failed IMO. His poor goals record could be accommodated if he was teeing regular chances up.

Finally, higher tempo, more pressing and controlled aggression.
    I agree that we should leave out a target man. Having Holt or Graham in the team just encourages the kind of hoofball we need to get away from. If there's one thing that centre-backs in this division are actually pretty good at, it's dealing with high balls lumped forward. What they struggle with is fast players running at them or in behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Hibee View Post
    I agree that we should leave out a target man. Having Holt or Graham in the team just encourages the kind of hoofball we need to get away from. If there's one thing that centre-backs in this division are actually pretty good at, it's dealing with high balls lumped forward. What they struggle with is fast players running at them or in behind them.

Funnily enough we played with a target man and in the 1st half on saturday the ball was played on the deck the majority of the time, the direct ball to a target man can be used as an extra option but when all the players are playing to their potential, the ball is generally on the deck, hence why McGeouch got MOM and Martin was a close 2nd behind him.

Testimonial Due
    Boyle shouldn't start imo, he's much better as an impact player when tiredness is kicking in.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by #FromTheCapital View Post
    Boyle shouldn't start imo, he's much better as an impact player when tiredness is kicking in.
    I would start with him wide right in front 3 he would rip Leahy if he plays.

First game of the season against Falkirk our goals came from quick ball to Keatings (in behind) then Cummings scores rebound

Cummings in behind from a Holt pass in behind them.

Agreed about this division there are actually opposition defndendeds who can attack the ball in the air.

Speed and movement will destroy these teams and that was shown by Hearts and Rangers when they won the league.

Cummings, Keatings and Boyle all start for me..

It's what we do with Holt, Commons and Shinnie and deeper midfield.

Whatever he does I hope they have practiced it in training as they have the whole week to prepare.

Left by mutual consent!

Laidlaw

McGregor Hanlon Fontaine

Bartley Martin

Boyle McGeouch Keatings

Holt Cummings

All out attack. Controversial to drop Gray and Stevenson but until they stop beating black and blue the first defender with every single cross I'd play with three at the back.

Bartley can do the dirty work and Martin can link with the front five. McGeouch I'd play further forward to create chances/link up play for the rest with Boyle and Keatings running the wings and putting in crosses / cutting in. Holt to play the part of the big huddie up front to ruffle the feathers and set up Cummings for the goals.

Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    Laidlaw

McGregor Hanlon Fontaine

Bartley Martin

Boyle McGeouch Keatings

Holt Cummings

All out attack. Controversial to drop Gray and Stevenson but until they stop beating black and blue the first defender with every single cross I'd play with three at the back.

Bartley can do the dirty work and Martin can link with the front five. McGeouch I'd play further forward to create chances/link up play for the rest with Boyle and Keatings running the wings and putting in crosses / cutting in. Holt to play the part of the big huddie up front to ruffle the feathers and set up Cummings for the goals.

Laidlaw
    Gray McGregor Hanlon Stevenson
    McGeough Bartley Commons
    Boyle Holt Cummings

Old fashioned back four, Bartley to break up play in the midfield.
    Hit Holt to either play in one of Boyle or Cummings or lay it back for Commons and possibly McGeough.

I'd play the same team as at the weekend. With the players currently available to me that's the best team, the difference is individuals need to be playing at 7 or 8 out of 10 rather than 5.

I hope Martin keeps his place as he deserves it and Lennon doesn't muck around with the front pairing (again!).

I'd be very tempted to go with the same team as last weekend too, but if it isn't working out for Cummings I'd get Boyle on a lot earlier than last week (when he looked very dangerous imo).

@hibs.net private member R'Albin's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Razza96
    I'd like to not vary the team too much from last weekend but get Keatings and Boyle as wingers somehow.

I'd personally do it by dropping Shinnie and Commons for them and going 4-4-2, but I realise that there's absolutely no chance of Commons being dropped so it would likely be Martin.

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    Keatings needs to start, imo.

@hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    Laidlaw

McGregor Hanlon Fontaine

Bartley Martin

Boyle McGeouch Keatings

Holt Cummings

This is the set-up for me. Please.

Team for me needs shaken up a bit, and as we all know our deliveries into the box from wide areas is shocking which is resulting in people getting on Holt's back. He needs service, and we are not giving him it. For me the team this weekend would be.....

Laidlaw

McGregor Forster
    Boyle Hanlon
    Bartley
    McGeough Martin
    Commons (has to play as part of deal)

Holt Keatings

Suns: Virtanen, Gray, Fontaine, Shinnie, Cummings, Graham & Boyle

Really dislike Falkirk, well if I am being honest, it's more that fudd hustoun I hate and his tactics.
    The team I would go with is :-

..........................Laidlaw..............

........................Hanlon...................
    ...........McGregor...........Fontaine......

.......................Fyvie...................

...Keatings.........McGeoch.......Commons

....................Shinnie....................... .

.............Cummings.......Boyle.......

Yes I know Fyvie has been out injured, but from what I am hearing will ba available for this game.

Left by mutual consent!
    Laidlaw

McGregor
    Hanlon
    Fontaine

McGeouch
    Bartley

Boyle
    Commons
    Shinnie

Holt
    Cummings

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Hibee View Post
    I would say most, if not all, of our best performances this season have come with Holt in the side. We play better with him in the team IMO.

I eould persevere with him and cummings. Im not JCs biggest fan, bit i think him and Holt are our strongest front two, with Keatings / Commons / Shinnie / Boyle in behind as a no.10

Holt was surprisingly effective on their surface in the first game,Falkirk didn't get to grips with him at all.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Keatings in for Shinnie from the team that started on saturday

Tbh it doesn't matter that much what the formation is. Too much fannying about with diamonds, 352s, wide men, no. 10s etc.

We have the players to beat every team in this league. They just need to step up and start playing to their capabilities. Tempo, aggression and finishing.

If they don't do that then it doesn't matter what formation we play as we will always keep struggling to score and win games.

Get the finger out and get on with it.

I hear we are changing the defence today

I'd like Lennon to persevere with Cummings, even if he's not having the best of games.

He's our most prolific striker and can score out of nothing. His goal at Falkirk earlier in the season proves he's a player that can be in the right place at the right time. Although Boyle came on and scored on Saturday I wouldn't have brought him on in place of JC. The number of times the ball fell loose in the 6 yard box with nobody there to tap in was frustrating and I feel JC would be in these positions.

Still feel 6 points out the next 2 are massive. By the time our next league game comes along we SHOULD have FF/SJM back and we'll kick on.

Huge game, Cmon hibs

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leith's finest View Post
    I hear we are changing the defence today
    You heard wrong...same team as last week

STARTING XI | Laidlaw, Gray, McGregor, Hanlon, Stevenson, Martin, McGeouch, Shinnie, Commons, Holt, Cummings.

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    Hibernian FC ‏@HibsOfficial 2m2 minutes ago
    STARTING XI | Laidlaw, Gray, McGregor, Hanlon, Stevenson, Martin, McGeouch, Shinnie, Commons, Holt, Cummings.
    1 reply 12 retweets 18 likes
    Reply 1 Retweet 12
    Like 18
    More
    Hibernian FC ‏@HibsOfficial 2m2 minutes ago
    SUBS | Virtanen, Fontaine, Forster, Bartley, Boyle, Keatings, Graham.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money