hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Testimonial Due
    It's still very early days and plenty time for him to come good. But I'm very pleased with his start! I thought the hype around his appointment was strange, even on this forum some were saying he'd be great for them. He sounds like a complete walloper and at only 30 with no playing experience he'll find it difficult to get the respect of the players.

Imagine you had a new boss coming into your work who is roughly the same age as you, with zero experience of your role and trying to manage you. You need a bit of character for that type of situation and it seems like Cathro has none.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry but cathro sounds like a plum:

"It's now been two weeks. I have learned an awful lot about everyone, about us. The only thing I have learned about myself is that I was right when I thought a long time ago that I was strong enough to deal with these things. I am confident and relaxed in the fact and fortunate that I am strong and these challenges just add to making me a little bit better."
    Trying too hard, the players will see right through that imo

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Trying too hard, the players will see right through that imo

David Brent ishh

Quote Originally Posted by WoreTheGreen View Post
    David Brent ishh
    I heard him being interviewed when he first got the job and he said something like he doesn't believe in limits and the players can go as far in the game and achieve as much as they want. Now that's a very nice thing to say and while some may think it's good to be confident, it's also utter bull****. Of course every player has a limitation as to how much they can achieve, don cowie for example will never play for Barcelona. It's just sound bytes and the players will soon realise he's an absolute slaver.

When I used to play championship manager I'd sometimes find myself interviewing myself in my head after games and the answers he gives in the media are scarily similar to the answers I used to give to the imaginary media I was being interviewed by.

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    I heard him being interviewed when he first got the job and he said something like he doesn't believe in limits and the players can go as far in the game and achieve as much as they want. Now that's a very nice thing to say and while some may think it's good to be confident, it's also utter bull****. Of course every player has a limitation as to how much they can achieve, don cowie for example will never play for Barcelona. It's just sound bytes and the players will soon realise he's an absolute slaver.

When I used to play championship manager I'd sometimes find myself interviewing myself in my head after games and the answers he gives in the media are scarily similar to the answers I used to give to the imaginary media I was being interviewed by.
    Phew....I thought it was just me that interviewed myself!!

I remember one particular career where I got to the FA Cup Final and I changed into a suit and stole a flower from my mums vase to put in my breast pocket. Got beat as well and I felt a bit stupid changing back into my cottons.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

If you can't see what an innovative signing Cathro was, then you're all just football dinosaurs.

It must be true, I read it in the Evening News, Herald, Record, Guardian, etc, etc.

Last edited by Keith_M; 24-12-2016 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedantic_Hibee View Post
    Phew....I thought it was just me that interviewed myself!!

I remember one particular career where I got to the FA Cup Final and I changed into a suit and stole a flower from my mums vase to put in my breast pocket. Got beat as well and I felt a bit stupid changing back into my cottons.
    Remember hearing about a mate that used to open all the windows in his flat in the middle of winter when he was playing a Russian side so he would feel the cold.

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Remember hearing about a mate that used to open all the windows in his flat in the middle of winter when he was playing a Russian side so he would feel the cold.
    That is, quite frankly, magnificent.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

as funny as the end result was they were playing some very nice football to get them 2-0 up. defensive mistake cost them the game and thats where they have always been weak. He will turn out to be a very good coach.

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    As long as he didn't write on his bathroom wall with **** when he played Hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    as funny as the end result was they were playing some very nice football to get them 2-0 up. defensive mistake cost them the game and thats where they have always been weak. He will turn out to be a very good coach.
    Somebody alluded to it earlier but after results like last night and when on a bad run of form the players don't need a good coach or revolutionary training drills, they need a motivator.

Somebody alluded to it earlier but after results like last night and when on a bad run of form the players don't need a good coach or revolutionary training drills, they need a motivator.
    Thats short termism tho...and exactly why teams hire clowns like Allardyce etc. Lets get them pumped up and make sure we stay up but the clubs never ever improve. Cathro is a major change from the standard manager we have - especially in Scotland. All he cares about is technically improving every player he has and as part of that improve the overall team. All depends on whether Hearts will play the long game. When we get promoted I;d take someone like Cathro in a heartbeat.

Thats short termism tho...and exactly why teams hire clowns like Allardyce etc. Lets get them pumped up and make sure we stay up but the clubs never ever improve. Cathro is a major change from the standard manager we have - especially in Scotland. All he cares about is technically improving every player he has and as part of that improve the overall team. All depends on whether Hearts will play the long game. When we get promoted I;d take someone like Cathro in a heartbeat.
    Most clubs have a manager and coaches under the managers to allow the managers to manage the team. All of these coaches will of course attempt to 'technically' improve the players.

So Cathro's a coach big deal, what's so special about that? He's not unique in being a coach who attempts to improve the players he's been employed to coach.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Nah, I'll respectfully disagree.

There's absolutely a place in the game for good coaches like Cathro but if player development over a long period of time is his forte then head coach is the wrong job for him.

Clowns like Allardyce have careers full of success stories, just because they may employ someone to do the training drills doesn't make them wrong, they just find the right people to do the right roles to make everything tick.

A big part of a manger, or head coaches, job now is how to find a way to bring short term success while also looking at the long term, any manager who thinks he can forget about short termism and focus solely on player development is living on a different planet.

Sam got the England job and Cathro got the Hearts job. I'd take Allardyce in a heartbeat.

Sam was one of the first to start using technology and sports science (while Cathro was still in nappies), he is far more than a motivator.
    Last edited by MWHIBBIES; 24-12-2016 at 08:09 AM.

Yep, I agree As amusing as his losing start is, everything he says sounds good. I like the 'no limits' talk as well. The best thing hertz could do is look to the long term and let him bed in regardless of results, its not like hes going to get them relegated. I see a few parallels with Le Guen at Der Hun and Sauzee here...you like the guy, hate the results, but how patient are you going to be?

Yes i was under the impression that most of the bigger clubs had coaches who had their coaching badges? What makes Cathro so special?

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Yep, I agree As amusing as his losing start is, everything he says sounds good. I like the 'no limits' talk as well. The best thing hertz could do is look to the long term and let him bed in regardless of results, its not like hes going to get them relegated. I see a few parallels with Le Guen at Der Hun and Sauzee here...you like the guy, hate the results, but how patient are you going to be?
    Do you believe the 'no limits' talk?

Just stating the bleeding obvious!!! Never heard of a manager or coach who would tell their players they 'had limits'?

Mon the Cabbage

If he keeps losing I hope they give him all the time in the world.

When I've heard him speak I think he sounds like one of the most uninspiring guys in the world. It's nice to talk about taking a long term view but that doesn't happen in football. I can understand taking results out of the equation at youth team level and developing players. At first team level you need to get results when you've got punters paying a fortune to turn up and watch though.

Personally i wish the SFA had pulled out the stops to get both of them in on the Performance remit and offer them a blank sheet of paper. build a 5 year plan to try and fix grass roots football. The appts are the wrong way round....Hearts fans deserve Malky Mackay.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Intellectual sounding stuff, he'll go far. Might even see the new stand being fitted out with it's first seat

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk
    Evidence of the slavering, gibbering, self-justifying nonsense of a man already out of his depth. By the end of next week he'll probably be referring to himself in first person.

Do you believe the 'no limits' talk?
    Yes and No.

I dont believe that Calum Paterson can be as good as David Alaba.

But I do believe if you get Calum Paterson to think he can be as good as David Alaba, he will improve as a player.

Personally i wish the SFA had pulled out the stops to get both of them in on the Performance remit and offer them a blank sheet of paper. build a 5 year plan to try and fix grass roots football. The appts are the wrong way round....Hearts fans deserve Malky Mackay.
    Agree with all of that

Left by mutual consent!
    Indeed there are no limits on how pish they can be.

First Team Breakthrough biotech's Avatar
    Maybe he'll come good but he comes across as a weak and uninspiring character. Can only assume he was just appointed as opposed to being interviewed for the job.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    Yes i was under the impression that most of the bigger clubs had coaches who had their coaching badges? What makes Cathro so special?
    You need to listen more carefully. His favourite subject appears to be himself.

These first few games have given Ian Cathro the chance to learn what an absolute legend Ian Cathro is. I think we can all learn something from that.

I think Cathro is simply a terrible cultural fit for Hearts, and sadly, probably Scottish football. I doubt he could even be successful at Hibs, Celtic or Dundee United given the short-termism of the game here. I'm positive he'll fail at Hearts.

He's doubtlessly an excellent coach, but paradoxically, probably the worst appointment Hearts could make. I see him back on the continent rebuilding his rep very soon.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    Indeed there are no limits on how pish they can be.
    They certainly don't put limits on how many the opposition get to score once the yam get two.

I keep hearing the gorgie guardiola knows how to plug a lap top in and he's great at chat so it's all good.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby