hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 54 of 54

Thread: Tories

  1. #31
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,193
    If this is what's meant by British values, they can shove them where the sun don't shine. This lady may have been in the system for some time, but to leave her high and dry leaves a very bad taste.

    https://t.co/L6rWKlFN0P


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #32
    Coaching Staff Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    31,398
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If this is what's meant by British values, they can shove them where the sun don't shine. This lady may have been in the system for some time, but to leave her high and dry leaves a very bad taste.

    https://t.co/L6rWKlFN0P
    It's revolting and depressing. The world is depressing right now.

    As an aside, I wonderhow Buzzfeed got the story cos no other outlets seem to be reporting this.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned 1,789.68!



  4. #33
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's revolting and depressing. The world is depressing right now.

    As an aside, I wonderhow Buzzfeed got the story cos no other outlets seem to be reporting this.
    Possibly this. https://t.co/oxOyMGvYu5

    More info on the first link.
    Last edited by ronaldo7; 26-02-2017 at 08:33 PM.

  5. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If this is what's meant by British values, they can shove them where the sun don't shine. This lady may have been in the system for some time, but to leave her high and dry leaves a very bad taste.

    https://t.co/L6rWKlFN0P
    That's absolutely terrible. I'm genuinely shocked that our government treats people like that.

    The article said she has a British husband, I thought that would give her an automatic right to stay.

  6. #35
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Holmesdale Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's absolutely terrible. I'm genuinely shocked that our government treats people like that.

    The article said she has a British husband, I thought that would give her an automatic right to stay.
    He was a full time gas engineer and got sick in 2015. She was his carer, but as he's on sickness benefit, he's not earning enough.

  7. #36
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,193
    More Tory deportations.

    https://t.co/Wg7vxTfdcc

  8. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He was a full time gas engineer and got sick in 2015. She was his carer, but as he's on sickness benefit, he's not earning enough.
    That's even worse. What a horrible thing to happen.

    Is this the direct result of a Tory policy or have we always treated people like this? I can't remember hearing anything specific but I don't follow the news so closely these days.

  9. #38
    @hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    between a brewery & distillery
    Posts
    11,274
    Woman deported after 27 years married with a family living in Britain. All because she went to Singapore to care for her parents.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39099574
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

  10. #39
    @hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,326
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Woman deported after 27 years married with a family living in Britain. All because she went to Singapore to care for her parents.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39099574
    This is the same case that was discussed further up the thread, there does seem to be more information in this BBC article, clearly the government are getting their side of the story out there!
    One significant difference in this story is the fact she had spent most of her life in Singapore. This wasn't the case in initial reporting as it stated she'd lived in the UK for almost 30 years, and at 53 years old then that would have made it seem she had indeed lived most of her life here. Turns out she first came over 30 years ago, but spent extended times back home in Singapore. After numerous returns to the UK she made applications for "leave to remain" and all were denied. In fact, if the BBC site is to be believed she lived here from 1988-1992, 2003-2005 & 2013 to present, 10 years of her 53 years???

    Fake news anyone?

  11. #40
    @hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    between a brewery & distillery
    Posts
    11,274
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is the same case that was discussed further up the thread, there does seem to be more information in this BBC article, clearly the government are getting their side of the story out there!
    One significant difference in this story is the fact she had spent most of her life in Singapore. This wasn't the case in initial reporting as it stated she'd lived in the UK for almost 30 years, and at 53 years old then that would have made it seem she had indeed lived most of her life here. Turns out she first came over 30 years ago, but spent extended times back home in Singapore. After numerous returns to the UK she made applications for "leave to remain" and all were denied. In fact, if the BBC site is to be believed she lived here from 1988-1992, 2003-2005 & 2013 to present, 10 years of her 53 years???

    Fake news anyone?
    The thing that I don't get is her husband, children and grandchild are all British so why is she being deported to Singapore?

    Edit: I know about the husbands earnings, but does that mean when someone retires or is too ill to work (this case) the spouse just gets punted!?

    What a sick country we live in.
    Last edited by Golden Fleece; 27-02-2017 at 02:39 PM.
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

  12. #41
    @hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,326
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The thing that I don't get is her husband, children and grandchild are all British so why is she being deported to Singapore?

    Edit: I know about the husbands earnings, but does that mean when someone retires or is too ill to work (this case) the spouse just gets punted!?

    What a sick country we live in.
    I think the rules aren't as simple as being portrayed in the media, but the two main ones are earnings(one partner must demonstrate earnings of nearly 19K.p.a) and being able to prove residency in the country for "long stretches of uninterrupted time". Unfortunately it would appear Irene has spent nowhere near enough time in the UK to qualify for "leave to remain". Whilst it must be heart wrenching for her, her partner and the kids involved, coupled with the fact her partner is ill, there was always the risk this could happen, the rules haven't changed and she never attained legal residency in the 30 years of visiting this country.

    I have an ex-colleague that has been teaching English in Thailand for the last 10 years. He has came back to Scotland with his wife, who is Thai. He is desperately scrabbling about looking for a job in his original field back here in Scotland that pays 19K. He has a kid also, I'm unsure what nationality his son has, but he knows he might have to go back to Thailand (or somewhere else)if he can't satisfy the rules. Leaving his wife is not an option!

  13. #42
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,193
    The visa rules currently state,

    An application must demonstrate a person has strong family ties to the UK, has lived in the UK most of their life, their current circumstances and why they have lived outside the UK

    I can't see why they would reject her application given she meets the rule above. Strong family ties, and she lived outside the Uk due to looking after her failing parents.

  14. #43
    @hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,326
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The visa rules currently state,

    An application must demonstrate a person has strong family ties to the UK, has lived in the UK most of their life, their current circumstances and why they have lived outside the UK

    I can't see why they would reject her application given she meets the rule above. Strong family ties, and she lived outside the Uk due to looking after her failing parents.
    She hasn't lived most of her life in the U.K., might be as low as 10 out of 53 years,,,,not remotely close!

  15. #44
    @hibs.net private member wpj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    london
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,986
    The Trump headlines deflect some of our more shameful behaviour. Instead of a good day to bury bad news we now have bad weeks and months to do so. There will be exceptions to every law and rule But surely there has to be some common sense applied?

  16. #45
    @hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,326
    Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There will be exceptions to every law and rule But surely there has to be some common sense applied?
    Bureaucrats & common sense do not go hand in hand!
    Whilst I'd like to think every case was treated in a unique way, the reality is they will be processed with a strict "rules is rules" policy.

  17. #46
    Coaching Staff steakbake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Gate 38
    Posts
    7,614
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the rules aren't as simple as being portrayed in the media, but the two main ones are earnings(one partner must demonstrate earnings of nearly 19K.p.a) and being able to prove residency in the country for "long stretches of uninterrupted time". Unfortunately it would appear Irene has spent nowhere near enough time in the UK to qualify for "leave to remain". Whilst it must be heart wrenching for her, her partner and the kids involved, coupled with the fact her partner is ill, there was always the risk this could happen, the rules haven't changed and she never attained legal residency in the 30 years of visiting this country.

    I have an ex-colleague that has been teaching English in Thailand for the last 10 years. He has came back to Scotland with his wife, who is Thai. He is desperately scrabbling about looking for a job in his original field back here in Scotland that pays 19K. He has a kid also, I'm unsure what nationality his son has, but he knows he might have to go back to Thailand (or somewhere else)if he can't satisfy the rules. Leaving his wife is not an option!
    His son should be UK national if your pal was UK citizen at the time of his birth.

    Getting his wife here: complicated. He could go do some work in an EU country and apply for an EEA family permit after six or so months. In these times of Brexit though, it could be unreliable if the negotiations go stupidly wrong or TMay decides the UK won't accept those rules anymore.

    Otherwise he's looking for 18,600 salary or personal savings of 62,500. There was a court case recently (22nd Feb) which although upheld the minimum rules, he should keep an eye on it as they might - might - come up with some alternative ways of meeting it (third party support etc) and there may be some changes on how they assess applications in relation to the best interests of the child.
    Last edited by steakbake; 27-02-2017 at 08:07 PM.

  18. #47
    @hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,326
    Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    His son should be UK national if your pal was UK citizen at the time of his birth.

    Getting his wife here: complicated. He could go do some work in an EU country and apply for an EEA family permit after six or so months. In these times of Brexit though, it could be unreliable if the negotiations go stupidly wrong or TMay decides the UK won't accept those rules anymore.

    Otherwise he's looking for 18,600 salary or personal savings of 62,500. There was a court case recently (22nd Feb) which although upheld the minimum rules, he should keep an eye on it as they might - might - come up with some alternative ways of meeting it (third party support etc) and there may be some changes on how they assess applications in relation to the best interests of the child.
    He's been back in Scotland with his wife & kid since the turn of the year. He landed some contract work but he needs to make it permanent to satisfy the rules. He did mention that he might live in Ireland for a year to secure a permit for his wife here (UK),,,that ties in with what you say re EEA permit rules.
    Ridiculous that he has to go to such lengths, but it's either that or risk having his wife deported at a later date!
    Last edited by speedy_gonzales; 27-02-2017 at 08:38 PM.

  19. #48
    Coaching Staff steakbake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Gate 38
    Posts
    7,614
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's been back in Scotland with his wife & kid since the turn of the year. He landed some contract work but he needs to make it permanent to satisfy the rules. He did mention that he might live in Ireland for a year to secure a permit for his wife here (UK),,,that ties in worthy what you say re EEA permit rules.
    Ridiculous that he has to go to such lengths, but it's either that or risk having his wife deported at a later date!
    It's outrageous. I deal with these quite a lot. Once had a couple turned down - they had well over 80k in personal funds but UKVI didn't like the bank statements because they had not been using the account "regularly". It was his savings - he'd held them for years and just hadn't touched them. That's not even in the rules as a requirement but he had no right of appeal.

  20. #49
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,129
    Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's outrageous. I deal with these quite a lot. Once had a couple turned down - they had well over 80k in personal funds but UKVI didn't like the bank statements because they had not been using the account "regularly". It was his savings - he'd held them for years and just hadn't touched them. That's not even in the rules as a requirement but he had no right of appeal.
    Individuals are being held hostage in a political game but this is what happens when feckwits like Corbyn allow the Tories free reign with the country.

  21. #50
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    51
    Posts
    8,892
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bureaucrats & common sense do not go hand in hand!
    Whilst I'd like to think every case was treated in a unique way, the reality is they will be processed with a strict "rules is rules" policy.
    And they Grey Men will happily carry-out orders.

  22. #51
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    51
    Posts
    8,892
    It's a show of appeasement from the tories to win back voters who strayed over to UKIP. The tories will be delighted that this is now out there but not headline news.

  23. #52
    @hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,326
    Re Irene Clemmel case, an interesting Blog from a Singaporean national that knows how the system works.

    Irene Clemmel Blog

    As was suspected by some other commentators on social media, there was more to this case than meets the eye. As the blogger writes though, it's fairly left-wing media portraying the government out to be a hater of the people.

  24. #53
    @hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Chippenham/Bath
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,271
    Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's outrageous. I deal with these quite a lot. Once had a couple turned down - they had well over 80k in personal funds but UKVI didn't like the bank statements because they had not been using the account "regularly". It was his savings - he'd held them for years and just hadn't touched them. That's not even in the rules as a requirement but he had no right of appeal.
    Not sure about this as a legitimate business idea.

    How about your mate pays me 20k pa for a share in my company. For that year, I will pay him a salary of 19k. He is my employee with a contract.

    He gets his wife residency, and after two years he gets his family together.

    J

  25. #54
    Coaching Staff Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    31,398
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure about this as a legitimate business idea.

    How about your mate pays me 20k pa for a share in my company. For that year, I will pay him a salary of 19k. He is my employee with a contract.

    He gets his wife residency, and after two years he gets his family together.

    J
    I'll do it for 19750
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned 1,789.68!



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved