Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ADMINS!

Why is this on the Main Message Board?
    Who cares?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    ..... and they kept insisting that Prestwick airport was 'pure dead brilliant... '
    Any airport with ' dead ' in its logo was always going to fail. Decades ago it was the only Scottish airport allowed to have international flights in Scotland despite Edinburgh and Glasgow demanding them. That was when it was publicly owned, like now.

Nicola hopingthat it becomes a launch pad for outer space, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    Any airport with ' dead ' in its logo was always going to fail. Decades ago it was the only Scottish airport allowed to have international flights in Scotland despite Edinburgh and Glasgow demanding them. That was when it was publicly owned, like now.

Nicola hopingthat it becomes a launch pad for outer space, perhaps?
    Perhaps for all the aliens post brexit...

Il get my coat

@hibs.net private member barcahibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    Perhaps for all the aliens post brexit...

Il get my coat
    Strategic use I'd guess. Next door to Holy Loch which might be useful to some people. Was one of the major sites associated with REFORGER which was the NATO plan to move US troops from America to Europe in case of war. Lovely long runway for landing heavy bombers and running naval patrol aircraft out of.

Some rumours that SR-71s and U-2s flew out of it during the cold war but i don't know, you'd think the airspace would be awful busy between them and all the UFOs being flown out of Machrihanish.

Future spaceport? It'll take longer to get to Prestwick than to Mars before long. Plus not sure that i want future Alien ambassadors to Earth to have the West of Scotland as their first experience of human civilisation.

@hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs0666 View Post
    Who's bright idea was this? What is the point?
    I've got no idea why they'd want to save all those jobs eh. The *******s are at it again, in the Highlands.

Pesky nats.

https://t.co/8FfxgaRp9Q

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Prestwick could always charge a pound for drop-off to keep it open.
    Mind you, parking at the Gyle would probably widny work so good.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    I've got no idea why they'd want to save all those jobs eh. The *******s are at it again, in the Highlands.

Pesky nats.

https://t.co/8FfxgaRp9Q
    Although I'm not quite sure what it entails when the article states the Scottish government is guaranteeing the power purchases this seems like a sensible deal..government working with the private sector to gain substantial investment of private funds to maintain or grow a vital business for the area.

Prestwick on the other hand looks anything but...now approaching £40m in government loans for an unspecified end goal in an asset no one else wanted. It will be interesting to see if we will ever see that money again.

Quote Originally Posted by SiMar View Post
    Although I'm not quite sure what it entails when the article states the Scottish government is guaranteeing the power purchases this seems like a sensible deal..government working with the private sector to gain substantial investment of private funds to maintain or grow a vital business for the area.

Prestwick on the other hand looks anything but...now approaching £40m in government loans for an unspecified end goal in an asset no one else wanted. It will be interesting to see if we will ever see that money again.
    http://www.audit-scotland.gov.uk/doc...ck_airport.pdf

I only read the summary but it is reasonably positive. Certainly doesn't scream SNPBAD a la hibs0666.

@hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar

6 years before loans reach £40m
    The latest available business plan for the airport (May 2014) estimates a total loan funding requirement for Glasgow Prestwick Airport of £39.6 million up to the financial year 2021/22
    In the meantime
    The Scottish Government is assessing a number of potential future opportunities for Glasgow Prestwick Airport. These will take time to put into effect and it may be some years before it can achieve its aim of selling the airport back to the private sector. We will continue to monitor developments and will follow up this work at a later date to provide further information on the airport’s performance in subsequent years.
    I fancy a zeppelin port for transatlantic flights
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    It was going to close down so the Government decided to step in to save a vital service and protect jobs. The Private Sector weren't interested as it was making a loss. I see that as a good thing and would whatever colour of Government we had.
    Spot on.

It's about choices as well you know. We also make choices not to penalise disabled people who need their spare bedroom.

Governments all over the world give out loans to keep people/get people into employment. I for one am happy they stepped in.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    It's about choices as well you know. We also make choices not to penalise disabled people who need their spare bedroom.

Governments all over the world give out loans to keep people/get people into employment. I for one am happy they stepped in.
    I'm not sure of the connection between your two examples.

Personally I think it's a bit of a folly investing so much into an airport that doesn't really seem to have any demand for its use. It was loss making before and is loss making now. Seems pretty clear the airport was purchased without any real thought and was done so for political reasons. A 'plan' that suggests over £40m of loans (aka losses) and over a decade before it 'might' be sold back to the private sector is a nonsense.

I'm also amazed at how many comments support the concept of a loss making enterprise with public money simply to protect jobs. Where does such a policy stop and is that really the best long term use of public funds?

I'm not sure of the connection between your two examples.

Personally I think it's a bit of a folly investing so much into an airport that doesn't really seem to have any demand for its use. It was loss making before and is loss making now. Seems pretty clear the airport was purchased without any real thought and was done so for political reasons. A 'plan' that suggests over £40m of loans (aka losses) and over a decade before it 'might' be sold back to the private sector is a nonsense.

I'm also amazed at how many comments support the concept of a loss making enterprise with public money simply to protect jobs. Where does such a policy stop and is that really the best long term use of public funds?
    They're not connected, unless you see them in the round of a government who's governing for all the people

Public money supports many jobs, and you'll find the most expensive ones up the clyde at Faslane.

Good economics to take money from successful businesses and give it to unsuccessful businesses. Only that way can they restrict these self-centred successful companies from re-investing in themselves to create more jobs and instead help out failing businesses keeping the jobs there instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    Good economics to take money from successful businesses and give it to unsuccessful businesses. Only that way can they restrict these self-centred successful companies from re-investing in themselves to create more jobs and instead help out failing businesses keeping the jobs there instead.

I wonder what logical criteria, if any, are at work here. For a Scottish Government solely interested in preserving employment they didn't seem to care too much when Hall's of Broxburn was closed at the cost of 1,700 jobs.

So what makes one sector, plant or location worthy of Scottish Government subsidy and not another? Why no pork barrel for pork processors but plenty for Prestwick?

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    I wonder what logical criteria, if any, are at work here. For a Scottish Government solely interested in preserving employment they didn't seem to care too much when Hall's of Broxburn was closed at the cost of 1,700 jobs.

So what makes one sector, plant or location worthy of Scottish Government subsidy and not another? Why no pork barrel for pork processors but plenty for Prestwick?

6 months before the Dutch owners announced the closure of Halls they had secured £2 million funding from Scottish Enterprise and Skills Development Scotland (Government funding) but never used it. To claim the Government didn't care is not true. But there were bids to buy the plant, all rejected by the Dutch owners.
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    6 months before the Dutch owners announced the closure of Halls they had secured £2 million funding from Scottish Enterprise and Skills Development Scotland (Government funding) but never used it. To claim the Government didn't care is not true. But there were bids to buy the plant, all rejected by the Dutch owners.

An offer of £2 million of - presumably training - support isn't quite the same as buying the whole airport, taking it into the public sector and then underwriting £40 million worth of open-ended running costs is it? And that all without a plan of how you might make it successful when the private sector couldn't manage it.

Not sure we'll be doing the McSpaceStation any time soon, but we do eat a lot of sausages...

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    An offer of £2 million of - presumably training - support isn't quite the same as buying the whole airport, taking it into the public sector and then underwriting £40 million worth of open-ended running costs is it? And that all without a plan of how you might make it successful when the private sector couldn't manage it.

Not sure we'll be doing the McSpaceStation any time soon, but we do eat a lot of sausages...
    My point, and there was only £500k for training support, is that the government had given development grants to the owners, who were hell bent on closing it anyway. It wasn't a case of trying to save it, the money was already available to the Dutch company to develop the plant, which they chose to close. Offers were on the table to buy it, which they knocked back. Very different to Prestwick.
    #Persevered

@hibs.net private member
    Halls were not interested in selling as it would be a competitor to them. They wanted it closed down.