hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ireland's Greatest Import Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed and let's get rid of Pancake Tuesday named after Emily
    If it's right wing vote winning policies we're after then "abandoning Liverpool" is right up there with the best of them

2. Log in to remove the advert

No political campaign is complete without overuse of the term 'hard working families'.
    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    No political campaign is complete without overuse of the term 'hard working families'.
    And increasingly "ordinary people". WTF?

In ancient (or classical, depending on viewpoint) Greece, they had national service which excluded the over 65's, the death penalty, a trifling court case would only have 401 jurors and yet they gave us democracy, philosophy, literature, theatre etc and they never even had a prison. I seriously think it's time we went back to a system where we instil a sense of community in our youths, coupled with a pride and belief that we can be a beacon to the rest of the world and readily ignore the fact that every household will need at least 5 slaves.

No unemployment either!

And given the timing of this post the watering down of wine is to be highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    My family are all gentle and sensitive. Why is it only the hard families that politicians want to woo?

There's a lot of negative comments regarding national service but I have relatives in Norway who are glad that they went through theirs, even their "week of hell" that they had to endure.

Not only did it enhance their feelings of national pride (which doesn't mean right wing), it helped develop qualities such as perseverance and confidence that have enabled them to have very successful carreers.

P.s. The irony is that even though they are probably earning six figures, they don't care as they are all about hygge and are probably happiest bathing naked in a cold lake next to some log cabin with no running water. Bloody hippies.

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    National service doesn't have to be just military. There are a number of opportunities that could be created for young people, especially those who leave school with poor or no qualifications. Being part of something, achieving something as part of a team, and giving people skills they can use through their life is no bad thing surely?

See the other thread re education for an example of things that mean just going to school for an education is not preparing all our kids for adulthood.

When people cannot contribute they don't feel part of things which impacts negatively on their self esteem, life choices and subsequently impacts on their families etc. Some kind of modern national service COULD work if it was thought out properly. A citizen apprenticeship perhaps.
    Great post!

Too many lily-livered liberals on this thread for my liking.

Hanging's too good for them.
    Buy nothing online unless you click here first. I'm already 1,497.46 better off!

National service doesn't have to be just military. There are a number of opportunities that could be created for young people, especially those who leave school with poor or no qualifications. Being part of something, achieving something as part of a team, and giving people skills they can use through their life is no bad thing surely?

See the other thread re education for an example of things that mean just going to school for an education is not preparing all our kids for adulthood.

When people cannot contribute they don't feel part of things which impacts negatively on their self esteem, life choices and subsequently impacts on their families etc. Some kind of modern national service COULD work if it was thought out properly. A citizen apprenticeship perhaps.
    Best idea I've heard in years for kids today. Spot on, BSB.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Too many lily-livered liberals on this thread for my liking.

Hanging's too good for them.
    Then you might be interested in a rather smart piece of labour-saving machinery at present occupying a place in the museum in Chambers Street.

This is "The Maiden", and I reckon all she needs is some new ropes, some grease in the grooves of the uprights, the blade sharpened up and she'd be good to go.

One of the great lies of history - "The French invented the guillotine ..."

Rubbish - we had one in the 16th century, and it worked very well.

Bring back decapitation!

"Once one accepts that one has bear-hugged full-blown barking there is great comfort in the bright lights and noises of the wibble-wibble show ..."

@hibs.net private member Dan Sarf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    I know this is meant to be a tongue in cheek thread, but compulsory military service - in any country - can jog on. It's a disgusting concept that folk can potentially be forced to die just because they exist, to serve some politicians' whims. Stick that one, mate.

What about National Service just for Politicians?

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    Bring back decapitation!
    Nae point in losing the head on this thread Doddie! :-)

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Nae point in losing the head on this thread Doddie! :-)

I was actually volunteering my services to operate the machine ...

I have a great fondness for historical antiques.

After all, I'm one myself.

"Once one accepts that one has bear-hugged full-blown barking there is great comfort in the bright lights and noises of the wibble-wibble show ..."

Jambo Kickback's Flump of the Year 2008 Sergey's Avatar
    I was actually volunteering my services to operate the machine ...

I have a great fondness for historical antiques.

After all, I'm one myself.
    There's a very good autobiography I read many years ago entitled, Executioner, Pierrepoint who was the last hangman in the UK. Worthy of a read if you see it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post
    There's a very good autobiography I read many years ago entitled, Executioner, Pierrepoint who was the last hangman in the UK. Worthy of a read if you see it.
    Good film also, starring Timothy Spall
    21.05.2016. I Was There.

.net PM board "Biggest Slaver of the year 2014"

Less talk, more gifs. :

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Then you might be interested in a rather smart piece of labour-saving machinery at present occupying a place in the museum in Chambers Street.

This is "The Maiden", and I reckon all she needs is some new ropes, some grease in the grooves of the uprights, the blade sharpened up and she'd be good to go.

One of the great lies of history - "The French invented the guillotine ..."

Rubbish - we had one in the 16th century, and it worked very well.

Bring back decapitation!
    Liberal nonsense. The guillotine is quick and painless; it isn't a sufficient deterrent. Bring back the rack. Slow torture and an excruciating death for murderers.........and shoplifters.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Liberal nonsense. The guillotine is quick and painless; it isn't a sufficient deterrent. Bring back the rack. Slow torture and an excruciating death for murderers.........and shoplifters.
    Don't forgot those driving without insurance!

Quote Originally Posted by SiMar View Post
    And the people who park across two spaces...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SiMar View Post
    And littering.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Sounds good. We should be doing that anyway.
    Never mind National Service.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Sounds good. We should be doing that anyway.
    Never mind National Service.
    I agree. We need support people who have nothing, not just throwing money at them and expecting them to miraculously develop social skills which will help them find work and ultimately a place in society.

Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    You've just missed the boat on this one I'm afraid, public support for hanging just became a minority opinion for the first time since it was outlawed.
    So for the past 50 odd years, the Westminster elite have denied the will of the British people?

Outage!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post

Well ...

We don't HAVE to sharpen the blade, you know. Or grease the runners. Could take quite a few attempts to finally get the blade to drop and actually sever the head.

And we always have the option for the subject - face down or face up? Face up would be good.

And then you can always get some politician (the Justice Secretary?) to come along to deliver a long, lo-o-o-o-o-ong speech while he's lying there waiting for the blade to fall ...

You could work in several hours of extreme mental torment if you wanted ...

You could even start slicing from the feet up.

And it's NOT the guillotine. It's the MAIDEN. Scottish. Not French.
    Last edited by Doddie; 16-12-2016 at 01:57 PM.

Ireland's Greatest Import Mr White's Avatar
    Well ...

We don't HAVE to sharpen the blade, you know. Or grease the runners. Could take quite a few attempts to finally get the blade to drop and actually sever the head.

And we always have the option for the subject - face down or face up? Face up would be good.

And then you can always get some politician (the Justice Secretary?) to come along to deliver a long, lo-o-o-o-o-ong speech while he's lying there waiting for the blade to fall ...

Your enthusiasm for this instrument of death is a little disturbing Doddie. Entertaining too though

Well ...

Mechanism[edit]

The person under sentence of death placed his head on a crossbar which is about four feet from the bottom. Lead weights weighing around 75 pounds (34 kg) were attached to the axe blade. The blade is guided by grooves cut within the inner edges of the frame. A peg, which is in turn attached to a cord, kept the blade in place. The executioner removed the peg by pulling sharply on the cord, and this caused the blade to fall and decapitate the condemned. If the condemned had been tried for stealing a horse, the cord was attached to the animal which, on being whipped, started away removing the peg, thereby becoming the executioner.[9]

That is so deliciously evil. The Middle Ages really were a hoot

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Mechanism[edit]

The person under sentence of death placed his head on a crossbar which is about four feet from the bottom. Lead weights weighing around 75 pounds (34 kg) were attached to the axe blade. The blade is guided by grooves cut within the inner edges of the frame. A peg, which is in turn attached to a cord, kept the blade in place. The executioner removed the peg by pulling sharply on the cord, and this caused the blade to fall and decapitate the condemned. If the condemned had been tried for stealing a horse, the cord was attached to the animal which, on being whipped, started away removing the peg, thereby becoming the executioner.[9]

That is so deliciously evil. The Middle Ages really were a hoot

Ach, don't worry,I'm sure we'll vote to bring them back soon.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    Your enthusiasm for this instrument of death is a little disturbing Doddie. Entertaining too though
    I just have an interest in the history of my native land, Mr White.

And in the details if the workings of sundry examples of old-fashioned labour-saving machinery.

And I likes sharp blades, I do ....