hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyStokeprano View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Like I said it's all about opinions, I dont think holt works hard I don't think he adds much, and every game keatings came on last season I was screaming at him to work harder closing the opposition down but he seems to have the reputation of a Jamie vardy type grafter on here lol
    Holt definitely works harder than Jason and has a physicality that allows us to play more direct.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Holt definitely works harder than Jason and has a physicality that allows us to play more direct.
    Yeah hopeless long balls really worked for us , like I say we changed formation and introduced Boyle at the same time jason was dropped, the introducation of pace and an extra central defender is imo why we got a few good results, and I reckon we woulda scored the same if not more if Cummings had a chance from the start with Boyle! Think its the only combo weve not seen start together. Yeah our two top scorers together let's give that a try. Like I said the games we scored loads in were against the lower sides or sides in terrible form, the games we havent scored a lot In have been against teams in good form, regardless of jason or no jason. How many of our 50 direct balls on Friday did big grant win btw

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Yeah hopeless long balls really worked for us , like I say we changed formation and introduced Boyle at the same time jason was dropped, the introducation of pace and an extra central defender is imo why we got a few good results, and I reckon we woulda scored the same if not more if Cummings had a chance from the start with Boyle! Think its the only combo weve not seen start together. Yeah our two top scorers together let's give that a try. Like I said the games we scored loads in were against the lower sides or sides in terrible form, the games we havent scored a lot In have been against teams in good form, regardless of jason or no jason. How many of our 50 direct balls on Friday did big grant win btw
    I think it has worked for us on occasions and can be a useful option to passing passively in front of a packed defence.

Like I said it's all about opinions, I dont think holt works hard I don't think he adds much, and every game keatings came on last season I was screaming at him to work harder closing the opposition down but he seems to have the reputation of a Jamie vardy type grafter on here lol
    Nothing wrong with being a fan of Cummings but to suggest Keatings isn't a grafter really takes away from your discussion point. Keatings for me has been our biggest miss since he got injured. Him and Boyle work harder then anyone in the squad when it comes to closing down players and pressing the game up.

Quote Originally Posted by crabis View Post
    Quite right, it is brilliant! You should watch him sometime - he keeps his eyes peeled on the action and whenever there is a possibility of a long ball he moves up smartish. He might get caught offside the odd time but it is still good play.

Boyle sometimes gets caught offside too - when he makes his run too soon. Cummings mostly gets caught offside when he hasn't bothered to get onside in the first place.
    Funny thing is - I don't particularly dislike Holt or doubt his ability, I really hope he proves to be a top signing for us this season. So far, in my opinion, he hasn't. I also don't rate Cummings as highly as a lot of people do - I just don't have any reason not to want him in our team right now.

Re your reply on Cummings - I'm not comparing him to a top scorer in the world in terms of ability. My point is that he is a centre forward that scores goals without necessarily offering what you call "much else".. as are a number of brilliant forward players in the world.

Your points as to why you're such a big fan of Holt only reinforce what I was saying - if he is brilliant/intelligent for doing the same thing that makes Cummings "lazy", there is little point in debating with you. And of all the things that people argue as being Holt's strengths, catching the defence on their heels and turning in behind, on the edge of offside, is a new one! I played up front myself and know what you're trying to say - but you appear to have a very blinkered opinion on the two players.

It's nothing to do with Boyle being dropped imo.

Holt shouldn't be starting, he has played pretty much every game and has about 3 or 4 goals? We are now in December.

If we had signed him from say St Mirren, he would be getting all sorts of dogs abuse. Because he has came from England with a reputation everyone seems to be a bit blind towards him.

Get Cummings back in and the gap will open up between us and united.

I would bet most defenders in this league, or the league above that have played against Jason, would be delighted when they get the team sheet to discover he is on the bench.

@hibs.net private member Arch Stanton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Funny thing is - I don't particularly dislike Holt or doubt his ability, I really hope he proves to be a top signing for us this season. So far, in my opinion, he hasn't. I also don't rate Cummings as highly as a lot of people do - I just don't have any reason not to want him in our team right now.

Re your reply on Cummings - I'm not comparing him to a top scorer in the world in terms of ability. My point is that he is a centre forward that scores goals without necessarily offering what you call "much else".. as are a number of brilliant forward players in the world.

Your points as to why you're such a big fan of Holt only reinforce what I was saying - if he is brilliant/intelligent for doing the same thing that makes Cummings "lazy", there is little point in debating with you. And of all the things that people argue as being Holt's strengths, catching the defence on their heels and turning in behind, on the edge of offside, is a new one! I played up front myself and know what you're trying to say - but you appear to have a very blinkered opinion on the two players.
    I'm sorry if it makes no sense to you but I just don't think having two players playing the "Mixu" role is such a great idea - especially if Jason is one of them.

A previous poster had noted that JC's hold-up play had improved - something I had noticed as well. But then I wondered, who is he holding the ball for? Him being the top striker and all. It just results in another mob-handed attack which just get's bogged down.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Nothing wrong with being a fan of Cummings but to suggest Keatings isn't a grafter really takes away from your discussion point. Keatings for me has been our biggest miss since he got injured. Him and Boyle work harder then anyone in the squad when it comes to closing down players and pressing the game up.
    However I think Keatings makes wee pretendy tackles when trying to close defenders down.Boyle goes in as if he means it.Much better.

I'm sorry if it makes no sense to you but I just don't think having two players playing the "Mixu" role is such a great idea - especially if Jason is one of them.

A previous poster had noted that JC's hold-up play had improved - something I had noticed as well. But then I wondered, who is he holding the ball for? Him being the top striker and all. It just results in another mob-handed attack which just get's bogged down.
    I hadn't realised you were suggesting that Cummings plays like Mixu, as well as Holt. I disagree with that also but that's another matter haha

It was me that said his hold-up play had improved - at least we agree on something If he's the top man then he's got the most people to hold the ball up for in the whole team!! I don't think he is a 'hold-up player' it's just a part of his game that's developed, as there will always be times where we are weathering a storm or needing to get out.... in which case him being able to buy time, hold players off/win free kicks etc is useful. He is a goal scorer, but we won't be on the end of a chance every time he receives the ball (maybe it is these times that some people/Lennon believe he doesn't offer as much )

I happen to be of the opinion that his game (including goals) offers more to us than Holt from what I've seen so far.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    If we were to poll opposition managers and ask if they would rather play Hibs with or without Cummings in the team, what would the answer be?

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I hadn't realised you were suggesting that Cummings plays like Mixu, as well as Holt. I disagree with that also but that's another matter haha

It was me that said his hold-up play had improved - at least we agree on something If he's the top man then he's got the most people to hold the ball up for in the whole team!! I don't think he is a 'hold-up player' it's just a part of his game that's developed, as there will always be times where we are weathering a storm or needing to get out.... in which case him being able to buy time, hold players off/win free kicks etc is useful. He is a goal scorer, but we won't be on the end of a chance every time he receives the ball (maybe it is these times that some people/Lennon believe he doesn't offer as much )

I happen to be of the opinion that his game (including goals) offers more to us than Holt from what I've seen so far.
    Calling me a fan of either Mixu or Holt is taking things too far - I appreciate the role they play is all. Anyway, Craig Brewster was the best there was at Hibs - could hold-up and score!

The biggest plus about the way Holt plays is that it stops teams playing with such a high line and gives more room for the midfield to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    If we were to poll opposition managers and ask if they would rather play Hibs with or without Cummings in the team, what would the answer be?
    I don't think it's that clear-cut.

Some will fear him for his ability to score out of nothing from distance and would rather not play against him.

Some will tell their defenders that if they keep tight on him and don't give him space to shoot on his left foot then he's not got much to offer other than that. I'm sure a lot of slower defenders would rather deal with Cummings than Boyle.

I think Boyle is the player of ours that most defenders wouldn't want to come up against because there are no defenders in this country, let alone this league that can get near him for pace.

I do think we have a better variety of front man than we had last season, and I do think that all 5 of them have a role to play.

Calling me a fan of either Mixu or Holt is taking things too far - I appreciate the role they play is all. Anyway, Craig Brewster was the best there was at Hibs - could hold-up and score!

The biggest plus about the way Holt plays is that it stops teams playing with such a high line and gives more room for the midfield to use.
    Garry O'Connor could do both too, I reckon he learnt loads from Brewster (who was superb).

Riordan and O'Connor were a cracking partnership. O'Connor took the blows, held it up, won flick-ons and free-kicks and covered every blade of grass (in his first spell) whilst chipping in with the odd goal whereas Riordan did a lot less all-round but got more goals. It's a team game though and they were better for having each other. Different playing styles but both brilliant players.

I don't think Holt and Cummings are quite the same but I do think the principle is similar.

I don't think Boyle and Cummings would work as a pair, but I could see them being deadly in a 3 with either Holt or Graham and Dumbarton at home is the game to try it.

Left by mutual consent! IlDiavola's Avatar
    Your post implies that it would be a clear victory for 'without'.

I don't think it would be that way.

Maybe 60/40 but no landslide.

Just my opinion like

I think the response would be " play whoever you want , but don't play Boyle" no defence can deal with his pace, and he scores goals. He's had one bad game, point of fact, most of the team were of the boil that night. ( no pun intended)

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    I think it has worked for us on occasions and can be a useful option to passing passively in front of a packed defence.
    genuine question - when was the last time we scored a goal from lumping it up to holt?

The ball needs to be played to feet for Holt to be effective like when Malonga was here, JC, Boyle and Keatings are good at finding gaps in the defence.

Brewster was let go far too early but his goal scoring record is nowhere near Mixu's.

Brewster 5 goals in 28 appearances

Mixu 40 136

@hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I don't think Boyle and Cummings would work as a pair, but I could see them being deadly in a 3 with either Holt or Graham and Dumbarton at home is the game to try it.
    Agree with this.

Testimonial Due
    Quite right, it is brilliant! You should watch him sometime - he keeps his eyes peeled on the action and whenever there is a possibility of a long ball he moves up smartish. He might get caught offside the odd time but it is still good play.

Boyle sometimes gets caught offside too - when he makes his run too soon. Cummings mostly gets caught offside when he hasn't bothered to get onside in the first place.
    That's Lennons point.

Jase must work more off the ball than he's been doing i.e. coming back into midfield when the opposition has the ball.

If he thinks he can get by as a 1 trick pony (scoring goals) he will not get on very well in football!!!!

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Brewster was let go far too early but his goal scoring record is nowhere near Mixu's.

Brewster 5 goals in 28 appearances

Mixu 40 136
    He went for more money at the Pars, which ended up with them going into admin a few years later, for their owner spinning the plates for too many years

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Garry O'Connor could do both too, I reckon he learnt loads from Brewster (who was superb).

Mind you, O'Connor was out of his depth for a while just after Brewster left but fair play to him that he came good.

Same for Cummings, if he can run through on goal and shoot as often as Boyle does then he'll not only be a star in the Championship but in any league he cares to play in. He did it a couple of times against United so the signs are good - but there is no harm in him starting on the bench for now if that's what NL decides - what's the rush?

Needs changed as it's too predictable at times.
    Even Graham starting and a bit more direct would serve its purpose.. We just need to win