hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar

Referee Craig Thomson

A superb display of Scottish refereeing last night

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/footba...feat-1-4310803
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

2. Log in to remove the advert

That's a shocker! How the **** is he still a ref? Scottish football is a laughing stock in Europe now they will think the same of the refs.

First Team Breakthrough MurrayfieldHibs's Avatar
    Love this line!

Former Italian referee Graziano Cesari gave a blunt assessment, saying: “Craig Thomson is always a disastrous referee.”

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    I needed a besiktas goal for £600 last night off a fiver bet.

There are very few people in the world I dislike more right now than Craig Thomson.

It was clearly the 5th official behind the goal who made the decision and said it was a red card rather than Thomson.

Btw I've heard it also a lino who gave the pen at Hampden rather than him

Quote Originally Posted by StevieCowan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was clearly the 5th official behind the goal who made the decision and said it was a red card rather than Thomson.

Btw I've heard it also a lino who gave the pen at Hampden rather than him
    They both want shooting then

Is it just me that thinks folk are being a bit harsh on Thompson here, as much as he is an absolute clown, I've watched this a few times now and can totally see why it was a pen and red.

The players come together fairly, as the ball is rolling across them into the path of the guy in white, the boy in the white is clearly stronger and as the boy in maroon is falling, he clearly trips the guy in white up just as they have gone into the box.

Some might argue it was an excellent decision, it's certainly not a clear cut howler that folk are making out.
    Last edited by macca70; 07-12-2016 at 06:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by macca70 View Post
    Is it just me that thinks folk are being a bit harsh on Thompson here, as mush as he is an absolute clown, I've watch this a few times now and can totally see why it was a pen and red.

The players come together fairly, the boy in the white is clearly stronger and as the boy in maroon is falling, he clearly trips the guy in white up just as they have gone into the box.

Some might argue it was an excellent decision, it's certainly not a clear cut howler that folk are making out.
    Kinda agree, would guess the defender knew what he was doing more than people seem to assume. Given the trend seems to be that red cards aren't always needed when giving penalties then he didn't really need to send him off... Giving himself unnecessary grief really, though looks like the 5th official told him to.

Looking at it several times on the screen, it's "easy" to reach a decision other than that made by Thompson, but he had to make it from his standpoint on the spur of the moment - I can see how he may well have thought that it is indeed a penalty ... referees make mistakes, not just this partcular one.

Quote Originally Posted by RicheyWhite View Post
    Kinda agree, would guess the defender knew what he was doing more than people seem to assume. Given the trend seems to be that red cards aren't always needed when giving penalties then he didn't really need to send him off... Giving himself unnecessary grief really, though looks like the 5th official told him to.
    Under the new confusing rule, maybe not a red but imo a red and a pen was spot on, the defender is wrong side of the forward, then trips him up as he's falling as they get into the box.

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    Same sceniario when Fontaine got a yellow on Friday when united got the penalty.

First Team Breakthrough WWFTWTG's Avatar
    Shocking decision, and sums up the standard of refs in Scotland as we have seen all season - he should retire now.

Under the new confusing rule, maybe not a red but imo a red and a pen was spot on, the defender is wrong side of the forward, then trips him up as he's falling as they get into the box.
    Defender is the one who's fouled. How anyone thinks that's a red and a pen I'll never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Defender is the one who's fouled. How anyone thinks that's a red and a pen I'll never know.
    That's not a foul, the ball is rolling across them into the path of the forward, they come shoulder to shoulder, the forward is in best position, the defender falls down and trips the forward as he falls.

So are you saying the forward barges the defender over? IMO he uses his body exactly as you would expect a big strong forward to and the defender goes down far too easily.

Frustrates the hell out of me when you see a forward and defender come shoulder to shoulder, the defender falls to the ground and the red automatically gives the defender the foul.

That's not a foul, the ball is rolling across them into the path of the forward, they come shoulder to shoulder, the forward is in best position, the defender falls down and trips the forward as he falls.

So are you saying the forward barges the defender over? IMO he uses his body exactly as you would expect a big strong forward to and the defender goes down far too easily.

Frustrates the hell out of me when you see a forward and defender come shoulder to shoulder, the defender falls to the ground and the red automatically gives the defender the foul.
    Yes I'm saying he's 100% fouled the defender. There is your normal shoulder barge then there is using excessive force liking body checking someone.

That is never a red in a million years.

Testimonial Due
    Penalty and a red card for me.

The shoulder to shoulder charge (legal) probably sets up the next sequence but the defender trips the forward who clearly has a goal scoring opportunity. From Thompson's angle it also looked like the defender lifted his leg at the last part of the trip to make sure. From the other angle that bit is not so clear cut and it just looks like a clumsy mess.

Can't stand the guy and I don't like his refereeing style but I think he got this one right.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Atrocious decision and one of the later goals was 2 yards offside also. Same officials that made sure Dortmund knocked Malaga out a few years back.

@hibs.net private member
    It's never a penalty and never a red card. How anyone can think otherwise is beyond me. The defender gets fouled.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Amazing the difference of opinions on this board. I haven't seen the video but it looks like it was a hard call judging by the varous views in the posts above.
    Btw, was it a yard outside the box? If so, definitely a pen.

First Team Regular Salt N Sauzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    It's a penalty and a red card. How anyone can think otherwise is beyond me. The attacker gets fouled.
    Fixed that for you mate

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Amazing the difference of opinions on this board. I haven't seen the video but it looks like it was a hard call judging by the varous views in the posts above.
    Btw, was it a yard outside the box? If so, definitely a pen.
    First contact was outside the box, where the attacker barges into the defender who was sent off.

Mr Thomson obviously has a different version of the rulebook to everyone else.

http://sport.bt.com/video/highlights...91364119234387

45 seconds into the video

Law 12
    direct free kick
    a direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

• charges
    • jumps at
    • kicks or attempts to kick
    • pushes
    • strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)
    • tackles or challenges
    • trips or attempts to trip

if an offence involves contact it is penalised by a direct free kick or penalty kick.
    • careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is
    • needed
    • reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned
    • using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and endangers the safety of an opponent and must be sent off

a direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences:
    • handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within their penalty area)
    • holds an opponent
    • impedes an opponent with contact
    • spits at an opponent

Cannot believe some people are defending Thomson here. The forward clearly barges over the defender and is only brought down because of the way the defender falls. Truly horrific decision but one we have come to expect from this idiot.

Yeah, I have to agree, terrible decision by Thomson. After the attacker has barged the defender to the ground, it doesn't look like there is even much contact from the defender on the attacker to make him go to ground afterwards.

Thomson is now embarrassing us on an international scale!

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Correct.

Baffling that some folk disagree.

So, even after having seen the incident multiple times, we have many and varied opinions and can't agree on the subject.

Maybe this was a tough one to call and Thomson was damned to get it wrong whichever way he chose to see it?

I haven't seen it so wouldn't want to say, but I do have a bit of sympathy for referees, who only have a split second to see an incident and who may (correctly) be influenced by assistants who may have the decision wrong.

I wouldn't want to be a ref.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    They both want shooting then
    Steady! Nobody "wants shooting". Let's tober the language a little please.

Quote Originally Posted by Callyballybe View Post
    Yeah, I have to agree, terrible decision by Thomson. After the attacker has barged the defender to the ground, it doesn't look like there is even much contact from the defender on the attacker to make him go to ground afterwards.

Thomson is now embarrassing us on an international scale!
    Watched it again, the attacker barges him in the back, the jumps over him and falls over... I cannot see any contact from the defender on the attacker, and it is as stonewall a freekick as you will ever see to the defender. A shoulder barge isn't a shoulder barge if the defender gets his body in front and you barge him in the back.

Embarrassing yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    First contact was outside the box, where the attacker barges into the defender who was sent off.

Mr Thomson obviously has a different version of the rulebook to everyone else.

http://sport.bt.com/video/highlights...91364119234387

45 seconds into the video
    Thanks for the link. That was never a penalty in a million years. Thomson did what Thomson does though and f*kked it up.

Controversy and ridiculous and baffling decisions just seem to follow Thomson around like a bad smell.

How any Hibs supporter can still defend this guy is beyond belief.