hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    @hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe not but the SNP under Sturgeon are poor on education.
    They sure are, many factors play into it in my opinion though, austerity, governmental decisions, the schools themselves, parents, technology etc, just don't like seeing things used as a witch hunt like there is one specific reason for it

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Maybe not but the SNP under Sturgeon are poor on education.
    Poor on education, poor on the causes of education
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    They sure are, many factors play into it in my opinion though, austerity, governmental decisions, the schools themselves, parents, technology etc, just don't like seeing things used as a witch hunt like there is one specific reason for it
    It's no witch hunt, it simply isn't good enough that standards are failing the children in Scottish schools. It's horrifying that children are leaving school with a very poor level of the basics in 2017.
    Last edited by OsloHibs; 11-05-2017 at 07:01 PM.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    Let's not forget curriculum for excellence.
    I believe the concept was so that every child left school with some form of qualification, unfortunately that hasn't happened with the first raft of kids that came out the system.
    At the time of implementation many teachers were given very little guidance on how to roll out the new curriculum. So much so that when I asked my daughters teacher way back in primary 5/6 what the major differences are and what the outcomes would be I got a shrug off the shoulders. This was a teacher with over 25 years experience, he said it was like being asked to educate using a new toolbox with plans that were sealed in an envelope!

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Let's not forget curriculum for excellence.
    I believe the concept was so that every child left school with some form of qualification, unfortunately that hasn't happened with the first raft of kids that came out the system.
    At the time of implementation many teachers were given very little guidance on how to roll out the new curriculum. So much so that when I asked my daughters teacher way back in primary 5/6 what the major differences are and what the outcomes would be I got a shrug off the shoulders. This was a teacher with over 25 years experience, he said it was like being asked to educate using a new toolbox with plans that were sealed in an envelope!
    It certainly isn't working out well so far with latest figures showing that more than half of 13/14 year-olds are unable to write well and overall standards in reading, maths and science continuing to slide. Unfortunately that means a good many more children will be leaving school having failed to benefit from the curriculum for excellence before the SNP's latest 'recommendations' have any effect.

It was good to see Nicola Sturgeon finally accept at the weekend how poor the SNP's record on education has been. Two years ago she asked to be judged on this and so far her report card doesn't read well.

@hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Interesting piece on the false claims by Davidson, on the functional illiteracy of Scots schoolchildren

https://t.co/W9cC73SknR