hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

New managment team arrives at the PBS

2. Log in to remove the advert

Well if Cathro is confirmed as manager then Austin McPhee is a stick on for assistant if only for his Captain Caveman image. One caveman goes and another moves in. Photo on BBC page.

Both are brilliant signings. I'd have them at Hibs in a heartbeat.

Coaching Staff
    Excellent signings. Scottish (Rangers leaning) pundits are spewing because they fear the Hearts have struck gold. Some of the nonsense that's been written in the past couple of days is just fear.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Could be a success or a complete disaster.Have either of them any experience of man management or putting a team on the field because that's a lot more important than skills coaching.

Testimonial Due
    What are folk basing the opinion of them being excellent signings on? Genuine question, I know very little about either of them.

I just don't get it Levin is an old school type big team no real style of play these two. Cathro as he is the most talked about is a football purist just can't see it working if Levin has anything to do with the team.

I'm against jobs for the boys but fully agree with Boyd - the guy doesn't have management / personality skills.

McPhee could be an interesting appointment but Cathro will struggle i feel.

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    Impossible to predict whether they will be brilliant/OK/ disaster but seeing as Cathro is only 30 years old there may be a few exchanges with some Yam senior players a few years his senior.

Time will tell, they've been lucky/shrewd with some of their managers, time for a real howler !

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post
    I'm against jobs for the boys but fully agree with Boyd - the guy doesn't have management / personality skills.

Hearts managers have never been known for their vibrant personalities. Jim Jeffries, Craig Levein, John McGlynn and Robbie Neilson all combined have less personality than a corpse.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post
    Excellent signings. Scottish (Rangers leaning) pundits are spewing because they fear the Hearts have struck gold. Some of the nonsense that's been written in the past couple of days is just fear.
    Radio Scotland is basically a Jambo love-in so they'll be hoping they've struck gold.

@hibs.net private member MountcastleHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CBacke
    Quote Originally Posted by TRC View Post
    I just don't get it Levin is an old school type big team no real style of play these two. Cathro as he is the most talked about is a football purist just can't see it working if Levin has anything to do with the team.
    Levein and Cathro have previous.
    You found your God in a paper back, you get your history from the Union Jack, and all your brothers and sisters have gone and they won't come back.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Don't quite get how they are already excellent signings when neither have managed before. May well turn out to be but right now there is no precedent to judge on.

Austin McPhee sounds decent. He's played a major part in Northern Ireland's success.

No one really knows about Cathro. He certainly gets a lot of plaudits. However has never managed on his own. There are loads of good coaches and assistants out there that haven't made good managers.

Only time will tell. Neilson built a good squad.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by #FromTheCapital View Post
    What are folk basing the opinion of them being excellent signings on? Genuine question, I know very little about either of them.
    Hype and myth I think.

No doubt both well thought of coaches but they are young guys who haven't really had a chance to make an impact either positively or negatively.

Being a good young coach does not necessarily make you a manager either - it is a different thing. That said, Levein is the manager really and they are looking for people to do coaching.

You do wonder though if Cathro is that good why he hadn't been taken by anyone else for a manager role. Newcastle didn't appear to fight to keep him. MK dons could presumably have afforded him but went for Neilson.

Cathro has a reputation for developing young players and is well thought of within the game. He has coached at Valencia and Newcastle among other clubs, and despite only being 30 years old, has lots of experience in the game. He was also appointed as head of Dundee United's youth setup when he was just 22 years of age.

In saying that, a good coach does not always make a good manager. See Colin Calderwood. Another example of this is Paul Clement. Clement was Carlo Ancellotti's assistant at Chelsea, Real Madrid and PSG, he moved to Derby County and was sacked after nine games.

He seems to have a good pedigree, but only time will tell if he can make it as a manager.

Quote Originally Posted by #FromTheCapital View Post
    Ive seen both coach and deliver technical overviews... they are very good...and light years away from Lennon. Not football men mind so many in the game will hate them. They are everything scottish football is crying out for rather than ex players just assuming they are good managers.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post

Boyd is a clown and i wouldn't let him coach an u7s team.

Or good coaches thinking they're good managers?

Paisley,Ferguson and Clough had wonderful teams playing great football and did virtually no coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    Don't quite get how they are already excellent signings when neither have managed before. May well turn out to be but right now there is no precedent to judge on.
    They have been coaching for years and are proven good technical coaches. Hearts have a hands on Director of Football and the manager role there is more about coaching and prepping teams.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Ive seen both coach and deliver technical overviews... they are very good...and light years away from Lennon. Not football men mind so many in the game will hate them. They are everything scottish football is crying out for rather than ex players just assuming they are good managers.
    Again though, being good coaches doesn't mean good managers.

IMO a managers main job is to motivate and manage the egos within the squad, I'm not convinced really good training sessions translates into good performances.

If hibs had appointed Cathro I'd probably have been quite pleased with the vision being shown but it's a huge risk, regardless of how good a coach he is.

Out of interest what age and standard were the group you saw him train?

How can people be so sure they are great signings? Again, genuine question. Not having a go at anyone Underscore but where is the evidence? Neither of them have managed on their own. Good coaches don't always become good managers as they are very different designations. They may do well but they may be average or they may even crash and burn. Time will tell.

They have been coaching for years and are proven good technical coaches. Hearts have a hands on Director of Football and the manager role there is more about coaching and prepping teams.
    So Levien's not telling the truth about what he does?

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Again though, being good coaches doesn't mean good managers.

IMO a managers main job is to motivate and manage the egos within the squad, I'm not convinced really good training sessions translates into good performances.

If hibs had appointed Cathro I'd probably have been quite pleased with the vision being shown but it's a huge risk, regardless of how good a coach he is.

Out of interest what age and standard were the group you saw him train?
    I watched Cathro take a first team session at Newcastle. and I've seen a fair few of Austins session plans for youth players. I think people are missing my point here. Hearts are hiring a Head Coach and an assistant. Both of whom are better coaches than the two they replace. They didn't have a traditional manager in place.

I watched Cathro take a first team session at Newcastle. and I've seen a fair few of Austins session plans for youth players. I think people are missing my point here. Hearts are hiring a Head Coach and an assistant. Both of whom are better coaches than the two they replace. They didn't have a traditional manager in place.
    But you're ignoring the point some of us are making.Levein said hat Neilson was responsible for picking the team and the tactics used.Presumably this will continue and putting the right team on the park is what a good manager has to do.

Coaching folk ken what's gaun oan.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    But you're ignoring the point some of us are making.Levein said hat Neilson was responsible for picking the team and the tactics used.Presumably this will continue and putting the right team on the park is what a good manager has to do.
    CL is actively involved in the management of the squad at Hearts. All day to day coaching and picking of the team etc is down to the coaches. I think its a system that works. Our director of football at Hibs has pretty much nothing to do with the first team squad.

I don't know anything about them, and couldn't care less. I hope they fail spectacularly.

Hope also that doesn't sound too "negative".

Yes but you're still judging someone for a position that they've never actually done before.

There may be small differences but they're still differences all the same. Nobody knows what his man management is like when he's the top dog. Just now he gets to, what sound like, good fun trainingdrills that the players probably enjoy so they're bound to like him. What happens when he has to start delivering bad news that people are dropped or if the players don't agree with the teams he's putting out?

He might be absolutely brilliant but right now nobody actually knows.

CL is actively involved in the management of the squad at Hearts. All day to day coaching and picking of the team etc is down to the coaches. I think its a system that works. Our director of football at Hibs has pretty much nothing to do with the first team squad.
    I agree with the structure and think it's the way to go, doesn't get away from the fact that about 4 years ago he was coaching the u13s though, It's a massive jump and there's only so much experience he could have got in that time.