hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by resident_Arab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Very shrewd signings, he had no scope to get it wrong, took a risk having only one striker in squad though which hopefully will be addressed in January

Only had 8 first teamers from last season and made 10 signings (on a much reduced budget)

Regardless of what happens this season , we are only going to improve as a club under him, we are very early stages yet
    Have to agree with all this. I thought you would struggle after the start you had but credit where it's due Utd have dug deep and got the points they needed.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Canon Hannan View Post
    That is an impossible ask. He would need £5million and a new team. He was landed with Stubbsy's team who were not good enough to win the league. We managed to secure a few Celtic loan players and that was how we won the Cup. It is now up to the Board to back Neil and the management team. I am shocked people are questioning him already???? What would you do? Bring in another manager or do you have a general problem with the manager??? ?

£5m,are you mad?

First Team Breakthrough
    One gripe I have with Lennon is the time he takes to make subs. Graham should have been on much sooner last night as Holt wasn't having the best of games and wasn't winning any aerial battles with the Utd centre halves. I would also have had JC on much sooner as well.

Big month coming up for us.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    MacKinnon gets praise when he's joint top of the league.

Lennon gets slated when he's joint top of the league.

What do you find confusing? Expectations for the 2 clubs are very different and rightly so

@hibs.net private member
    I was happy when Lennon came in and he still retains my backing. I think we had a pretty poor summer in terms of recruitment though and it still feels like he doesn't know his best team.

Looking at the players we're being linked with I think he may now be realising the weak areas of the squad. I'd like to see us going back to a 4-4-2 if we can sign some wide players. We also have far too many forward players who other than Jason don't have many goals in them.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    After seeing us I can't see how you think we're better than them. They have the better manager as well
    Which manager does the league table say is better?
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

The jury is out for me.
    Could come down to goal difference, so he needs to address that asap.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    After seeing us I can't see how you think we're better than them. They have the better manager as well
    😂😂

Steve c'mon this must be a piss take, even for your standards that's a shocker of a post!!

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    I'll say the exact same thing I've said all season.

He has to get us promoted. If he doesn't, then his contract should be terminated the minute we fail to get promotion. He has until then.

It's funny the reaction from some after a defeat. Had we scored our penalty and gawn six clear, this thread wouldnt have been a starter. Try looking at the players, not the manager ! He didny miss the penalty. Lennon's been fine. Lets see who we get in during the window.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gillythehibby View Post
    It's funny the reaction from some after a defeat. Had we scored our penalty and gawn six clear, this thread wouldnt have been a starter. Try looking at the players, not the manager ! He didny miss the penalty. Lennon's been fine. Lets see who we get in during the window.
    I reckon we'd all be living in utopia if we had won half the games we should have won but didnt?

Are you not getting even a little tired of all these excuses?

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Have to agree with all this. I thought you would struggle after the start you had but credit where it's due Utd have dug deep and got the points they needed.
    We should try that!

Quote Originally Posted by Booked4Being-Ugly View Post
    We should try that!
    I agree, we must take our chances simple as that.

First Team Breakthrough Green-Hibee-7's Avatar
    Not convinced in the slightest tbh. I was one of the many annoyed by the tippy tappy around the box play under Stubbs that we had a bit of last year. But this constant hoofing to holt is eye bleeding. Even worse when it's hoofed to the smaller of the two strikers. I'd say it's needed but as an alternative option - why does it have to be the little and large show? Cummings and Boyle up top might not link to well but the pace would create chances and be more than enough to rip some of the teams in this league up. Stubbs singings on the whole - youthful, talented - Lennons signings of holt, graham don't fill me with same excitement. I hope he is the man to do it.

Coaching Staff
    [QUOTE=Tyler Durden;4871711]What do you find confusing? Expectations for the 2 clubs are very different and rightly so[/QUOTE
    Not true, both want & expect to be promoted as champions.

[QUOTE=Lago;4871815]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    What do you find confusing? Expectations for the 2 clubs are very different and rightly so[/QUOTE
    Not true, both want & expect to be promoted as champions.
    This is a quote from 2 days ago from Ray McKinnon

"From our point of view it's about giving it everything we've got this season and matching our expectation levels. Get in the top 4, get in the play offs and get back in the Premiership. If we can win the league it would be a miracle given how we've had to turn the club around".

The Utd fan posting on here said as much in recent weeks. Having just been relegated and major turnover of players, they were realistic about what could be achieved. Only now are they seeing the big opportunity as Hibs have faltered.

Hibs have the biggest budget and 2 years experience in this division. Our points total to date is well behind expectations.

To answer someone else's question the league table tells me that McKinnon is the better manager at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    What do you find confusing? Expectations for the 2 clubs are very different and rightly so
    Exactly.

Our average gates are 14K, United's are around 7K. We have been building towards promotion for two years, they have had to rebuild from scratch. Hibs will be absolutely gutted from top to bottom if we dont get promoted this year. United can probably soak another year before despondency sets in. If United win the League this year, they (and anyone else) will rightly consider it a heroic effort. We are expected to win the league just as Rangers were expected the year before.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarter1 View Post
    Exactly.

Our average gates are 14K, United's are around 7K. We have been building towards promotion for two years, they have had to rebuild from scratch. Hibs will be absolutely gutted from top to bottom if we dont get promoted this year. United can probably soak another year before despondency sets in. If United win the League this year, they (and anyone else) will rightly consider it a heroic effort. We are expected to win the league just as Rangers were expected the year before.
    Been building towards promotion for 2 years, well thats one way of describing it.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Canon Hannan View Post
    Stoksey was the key to us winning the final in my view.
    On fire at Hampden no doubt.

But other players did a lot more to get us there, giving Stokes the stage on which to perform.

Your pro Celtc bias is painful.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    I was on the fence when Lennon came. I didn't think he had a track record that showed he would do the job. We are quickly approaching the half way mark of the season and we are worse than we were last year. He has taken a Scottish Cup winning team albeit minus a couple of players and succeeded in securing 31 points from 45 after a great start and scoring a couple less goals in the process. Stubbs took us to 37 points last year at the same point after a poor start losing 2 from the first 3 and I would argue Dundee Utd are not as good as The Rangers so an easier league this year.

The football is pretty poor to watch and I see nothing to suggest that Lennon does anything tactically or in terms motivation that will turn things round. The good news is we don't have to be as good this year as we were last year as the league is even worse. Hopefully the huge numbers ploughing in to Easter Road will see us get some signings that will give us the edge in the second half of the league.

Wookie, lets get real,yes there are two players missing from the Legends--but two great players that can control/turn games.And as for last nights game,we were without our "engineroom" & arguably our best players and still the only difference in the two teams was they scored with their penalty -we didn't.

I remain 100% behind Lennon, firmly believe he's the man for the job and I have a degree of sympathy for him at the moment.

For all we improved and won the cup under Stubbs, we still ultimately failed to gain promotion under him. There were problems with our squad and we simply weren't good enough to gain promotion under him.

The problems had to be addressed and Stubbs would have been the best person to address them. Any new manager was going to have to take some time to evaluate the current squad whilst still having to hit the ground running.

We made an excellent start and as the transfer window closed, you could forgive Lennon for thinking the squad we had was strong enough.

The problem is, many of the failings we've had for some time still exist. We still don't score enough goals (creating and taking chances), we still don't have the answer for packed defences, we still look weak when we get a couple of injuries and we still lose to many silly goals from high balls into the box.

Lennon can't add to his squad until January so he's got to work with what he's got until then. He will know himself that a few of our players are not good enough, and he'll have to fight the urge to "Butcher" them by being too critical and negative, as he still has to rely on them to get results.

What he had to do was stay in contention until January and anyone who honestly expected to skoosh this league is a bit delusional.

A few decent acquisitions and this squad is transformed and I see him making 2 or 3 big signings in January, even if just on loan.

There can be no doubt though, the margins are very slight for him. We wins the league, he's a success, he doesn't - he has failed. There are no mitigating factors this time (unlike with Stubbs).

I'm not going to pretend that last night was anything like good enough, but I don't think the manager was to blame.
    Last edited by Smartie; 03-12-2016 at 03:00 PM.

If we don't beat Dumbarton next week then he really will come under severe pressure. Dundee Utd have Ayr away which won't be easy so get it right next week Lenny.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Auld Git View Post
    Wookie, lets get real,yes there are two players missing from the Legends--but two great players that can control/turn games.And as for last nights game,we were without our "engineroom" & arguably our best players and still the only difference in the two teams was they scored with their penalty -we didn't.
    No doubting we miss those legends but Shinnie is an able replacement for Henderson not as many goals but more assists per game. We have missed Stokes goals and Holt hasn't worked out for me scoring at about half the rate of Stokes. Grahams scoring record for Hibs is excellent he just can't score from the bench! No doubting we missed Fyvie and McGinn last night but Lennon brought in two holding midfielders who are both slow on the ball and don't like getting forward. It's only a few weeks ago lots wanted McGinn rested. I would have liked to have seen us try something a wee bit more dynamic last night. My frustrations don't only come from last night though. There have been a number of games where substitutions have been late and formations that weren't working have been persevered with. We hit it long far too often and give away possession trying to force it. I don't want tippy tappy but it has been too harem scarem for me.

Lennon has huge amounts of experience in the game but the users of this Forum have much more experience of Hibs. The issues of the last few years are still there. Some improvements have been made but the glaring lack of pace, width and goals from midfield have not been fixed. The set pieces are pretty bog standard and when we did try something different it went tits up and got Fyvie a two month lay off. The players look like they are trying to me so credit to the manager there. The defence have been pretty good and the Rocky looks like an improvement too so well done Lennon on that. We are though scoring even less goals this year and I wouldn't have thought that was possible considering the opposition.

I am not saying Lennon is doing a shocking job or he should be sacked. My view is he hasn't really done anything of note and although we are joint top we have picked up a good few points less than last year. I think the rest of the season will be similar to how it has started and that worries me greatly. With 14K gates and huge sales of DVDs etc I would hope the board throw the kitchen sink at it in January. Hopefully Lennon can find the right players. He has been a bit hit and a miss in the transfer market up to now imo.
    Last edited by wookie70; 03-12-2016 at 04:30 PM.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    The something missing was McGinn and Fyvie. Both are massive players for us.
    Agree, they are big players for us but we should have a decent enough squad that we can replace them and still beat United and other teams in this leagueor are we to go on a run of defeats or draws because they are not in the team for the next six weeks or more.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    £5m,are you mad?
    Think he is in paradise.

First Team Regular Canon Hannan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    On fire at Hampden no doubt.

But other players did a lot more to get us there, giving Stokes the stage on which to perform.

Your pro Celtc bias is painful.
    Jacomo - I never mentioned the previous rounds. The Final which I witnessed was won due to a Celtic player on loan winning the game for us along with DG.

If thinking Stokes man of the match performance was obvious?

Lucky the Board don't feel your anti Celtc resentments or we would not have won the game.

Lennon is being asked to get us up with a worse squad than Stubbs failed with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Green-Hibee-7 View Post
    Not convinced in the slightest tbh. I was one of the many annoyed by the tippy tappy around the box play under Stubbs that we had a bit of last year. But this constant hoofing to holt is eye bleeding. Even worse when it's hoofed to the smaller of the two strikers. I'd say it's needed but as an alternative option - why does it have to be the little and large show? Cummings and Boyle up top might not link to well but the pace would create chances and be more than enough to rip some of the teams in this league up. Stubbs singings on the whole - youthful, talented - Lennons signings of holt, graham don't fill me with same excitement. I hope he is the man to do it.
    I watched Arsenal last night rip apart West Ham with the smallest front 3 you've ever seen, size isn't important but skill is. We need pace, proper width from attacking midfielders and guile in the middle to play killer passes. My biggest worry with a big front man is we reverted to lumps up the park instead to feet.

First Team Regular
    We are only approaching the mid way point of the Season, so its difficult to assess at the moment as still a long way to go. I however do think we should be slightly further ahead than we currently are with the Squad Lennon has at his disposal & the budget compared to his competition

The fact Dundee Utd have climbed back to level with us after there poor start i think is massive credit to them but also shows that we are not performing to the level we should be.

Get us up & out of this league and i dont think many people will care. I do however think the performances need to improve. We created very very little at tannadice the whole game. We were very poor.