hibs.net Messageboard

Midfield without Fyvie and McGinn

Well that wasn't great, over the piece Utd pretty lucky to get the points.

BUT, the tactics today were very worrying. Like Lennon doesn't even trust them to play football as we've done all season. Didn't look like the same team. Really hoping we can grind out some wins until these 2 are back in action and any others added in January, looks like will be required. Trying not to wet the bed but that was cack at times.

(I'm aware Boyle scores his pen its a different game but the performance as a whole really wasn't great)

2. Log in to remove the advert

To me McGeouch and Bartley are both sitting midfielders offering very little in an attacking sense.

McGeough can offer so much more. Totally missing tonight unfortunately. Nothing to do with him and Bartley being sitters.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by spudhib View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To me McGeouch and Bartley are both sitting midfielders offering very little in an attacking sense.
    McGeouch is probably our best player at taking the ball forward with pace. Him or McGinn. He didn't have many options around him tonight cause Bartley doesn't go forward quite as well and we were outnumbered in midfield, playing what is basically a 5-3-2 against a team that had a wall of players in front of their back 4.

All this just shows up our lack of depth in the squad, particularly in midfield. Bartley nice guy or not offers little, McGeouch misses too many games and when fit doesn't always seem the same player we had a year ago. We have zero option when McGinn and Fyvie are both missing, Martin is still a young laddie and none of the Dev team are ready to step up yet. Shinnie is playing for us because he's very inconsistent and hides in big games, we need 2 quality midfielders, a playmaker, a wide playmaker and a guaranteed goal scorer.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    All this just shows up our lack of depth in the squad, particularly in midfield. Bartley nice guy or not offers little, McGeouch misses too many games and when fit doesn't always seem the same player we had a year ago. We have zero option when McGinn and Fyvie are both missing, Martin is still a young laddie and none of the Dev team are ready to step up yet. Shinnie is playing for us because he's very inconsistent and hides in big games, we need 2 quality midfielders, a playmaker, a wide playmaker and a guaranteed goal scorer.
    What big games has Shinnie hidden in??

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Shinnie was the only one to get pass marks for me tonight.

McGeough still needs time to get match fit. Shinnie did okay. Everybody else pretty poor.

Who from midfield is going to score goals?

If you think Shinnie hid tonight you mustn't have seen the game. He was the one Hibs player who tried to get on the ball and do something. Granted it didn't really happen for him but he certainly didn't hide.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    McGeough still needs time to get match fit. Shinnie did okay. Everybody else pretty poor.
    McGeough is a better player than Fyvie and on his day is arguably just as good as McGinn. There is no denying he was P poor last night though.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    What big games has Shinnie hidden in??
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    If you think Shinnie hid tonight you mustn't have seen the game. He was the one Hibs player who tried to get on the ball and do something. Granted it didn't really happen for him but he certainly didn't hide.

Didn't see the game but was meaning in the games that matter, like last night. There's a reason a player from Birmingham who has undoubted talent is plying his trade for us in the Championship.

@hibs.net private member
    Didn't see the game but was meaning in the games that matter, like last night. There's a reason a player from Birmingham who has undoubted talent is plying his trade for us in the Championship.
    If you think he was hiding last night then you're at it

If you think he was hiding last night then you're at it
    Did you not read that I said I didn't see the game

Fraser gives Hibs the balance in the midfield allowing the likes of McGinn and Shinnie to orchestrate attacks. McGeough for me is a decent player but one who always seems to be finding his fitness. Bartley in a 3-5-2 should never be starting imho.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Agree thought he was good.

So he goes missing in games like last night even though you didn't see it

He doesn't go missing just needs games was good last night.

@hibs.net private member
    So you didn't see it but still claim he was hiding??

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    That's a huge problem for three years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look I like Shinnie but I'm fed up to the back teeth of so called good players who don't do it when it matters. We've had 1 day May when it all clicked but not enough of these days. Players like Shinnie, McGeouch and Bartley should've strolled last night but again they didn't, why? This was the point I was trying to get across, not just last night but in general in this league when it matters.

This really needs addressed, and has been a problem

@hibs.net private member
    Look I like Shinnie but I'm fed up to the back teeth of so called good players who don't do it when it matters. We've had 1 day May when it all clicked but not enough of these days. Players like Shinnie, McGeouch and Bartley should've strolled last night but again they didn't, why? This was the point I was trying to get across, not just last night but in general in this league when it matters.
    Again, Shinnie was our best player last night by some clear margin. But you wouldn't know that without seeing the game I suppose

Again, Shinnie was our best player last night by some clear margin. But you wouldn't know that without seeing the game I suppose
    Sorry I keep getting told but I was talking in general, there's a reason he can't break into an average Birmingham side, consistency.

Left by mutual consent! Col_0762's Avatar
    Shinnie played well last night?

Quote Originally Posted by Col_0762 View Post
    Shinnie played well last night?
    He was the only one of our midfield that did play well.

Bartley had little to do defensively which meant he wasn't involved much. No surprise when he went off, except realising it was Eardley who'd come on.

McGeouch was too deep and lacked the drive that we normally see from him. I'd have taken him off for Martin after 70 minutes to add some energy.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    This is our weakness when the forwards hit a lean spell. It has been for a while.

First Team Regular
    I've heard it all now. Some loony comes on here criticising a player when he didn't see the game 😁😁😁😁😁

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    McGeough can offer so much more. Totally missing tonight unfortunately. Nothing to do with him and Bartley being sitters.
    These players haven't played much need game time to get to speed. As it was we shouldn't have lost but we did move on to the next game.

It gets worse on here...we now have posters slagging off players who didn't even watch the match last night...just incredible...I'm out!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sorry I keep getting told but I was talking in general, there's a reason he can't break into an average Birmingham side, consistency.
    An average Birmingham side that are sitting in the playoff places in the English championship... I really do despair at times.