hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Grant Holt

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agree with it all Scoop apart from I don't think you should take penalties off a guy for missing one penalty. 2 strikes and your out definitely. Straight choice between holt and boyle, Holt wins every time.
    Sam, I was annoyed at the game over the argument over the penalty taker. My argument was it should have been determined prior to the kick off, I can understand that if the player is substituted there could be confusion as to who should take it.

However, NL has come out and stated that Boyle was on the penalties.

Question therefore has to be asked what the f*** Holt was playing at, didn't help Boyle IMHO.

Again in my opinion it should have been McGeouch or Hanlon that should have taken it as they have good records at them.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Sam, I was annoyed at the game over the argument over the penalty taker. My argument was it should have been determined prior to the kick off, I can understand that if the player is substituted there could be confusion as to who should take it.

Question therefore has to be asked what the f*** Holt was playing at, didn't help Boyle IMHO.

Again in my opinion it should have been McGeouch or Hanlon that should have taken it as they have good records at them.
    Definitely mate. Every single set piece should have a taker beforehand and not changed. I also agree that Paul Hanlon should hit penalties. Very confident and a solid record in penalties.

@hibs.net private member

The way Boyle was playing Messi would have struggled to help him. Holt brings a physical presence to the forward line. He will win his fair share of battles but the reality is he is coming to the end of his career and is not the player he once was but is capable of playing in this league.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    The way Boyle was playing Messi would have struggled to help him. Holt brings a physical presence to the forward line. He will win his fair share of battles but the reality is he is coming to the end of his career and is not the player he once was but is capable of playing in this league.
    Lucky,maybe I've been expecting too much from Holt. As I said earlier I am neither critical or overjoyed with his performances to date.

If he knew Boyle was the designated penalty then he should have stayed clear, not saying Boyle would have scored but Holt's intervention wouldn't have helped

I don't think Boyle has the self belief or composure for penalties.

It was a big game and I'm not convinced he is a big game player (as a striker that will score).

Where as with Cummings, every big game I have 100% confidence he will score. He rarely disappoints.

Holt? Personally think he's a bit of a donkey who must be easy to play against

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

It was a big game and I'm not convinced he is a big game player (as a striker that will score).

Where as with Cummings, every big game I have 100% confidence he will score. He rarely disappoints.

He did a decent job of the only one I can remember him taking before (the semi-final) and that was hardly an unimportant kick.

Paul Hanlon is the man for me. Really impressive penalties every time I've seen him take one and I'd have 100% confidence in him if he stepped up.

I'd have doubts about all the others.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    He did a decent job of the only one I can remember him taking before (the semi-final) and that was hardly an unimportant kick.

Paul Hanlon is the man for me. Really impressive penalties every time I've seen him take one and I'd have 100% confidence in him if he stepped up.

Brian Graham took them for Ross County, scored 2 I believe so far this season. He can hardly take them for Hibs if he isn't on the park

You're right it was a good penalty. However his overall composure for me isn't there.

Hanlon is solid enough at pens but it doesn't sit right with me a centre half taking penalties haha.

Cummings for me

Like the nonsense penalty he dinked over the crossbar in the semi-final against DU.

Conrad Logan pulled him out of the s*** that day.

You're right it was a good penalty. However his overall composure for me isn't there.

Hanlon is solid enough at pens but it doesn't sit right with me a centre half taking penalties haha.

Cummings for me
    Controversial.

To be fair, Cummings is a good shout. I love his attitude and his ability to put himself on the spot and he's already scored a few for us.

Just as long as he didn't "make a hash broon ay it".

Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    Like the nonsense penalty he dinked over the crossbar in the semi-final against DU.

...and Cummings also scored in the shootout. He redeemed himself in that moment as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    ...and Cummings also scored in the shootout. He redeemed himself in that moment as far as I'm concerned.
    I agree. I am just not sure that Cummings has got the right temperament to be taking all our penalties. Maybe take one if we are 3 or 4 nil up!

@hibs.net private member
    I would have subbed Cummings on the minute the penalty was awarded.

Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post

That was daft, but you know he won't do it again.

What about the other penalties he has scored? One against st Johnstone for example?

Or every other goal he has scored to bail out his team mates?

The fact Boyle openly admitted that that penalty was meant to go in the bottom corner leaves me a tad concerned. Yes it hit the net and at the time seemed a cracking penalty, he didn't even mean it lol.

The fact he took no time on Friday night before his run up showed he didn't have much confidence and just wanted it over with. It was a very poor penalty.

That was daft, but you know he won't do it again.

What about the other penalties he has scored? One against st Johnstone for example?

Or every other goal he has scored to bail out his team mates?
    I'm not so sure he won't try it again TBH.

But just to be clear, I'm not attacking the lad. See my post above regarding his temperament for taking all the team's penalties.

Holt didn't get the service and lived off scraps on Friday night and was far from our worst player. I think McGeough on his game is an exceptional player but he was anonymous on Friday night. A player of his quality should be bossing games, especially in this league.

Holt given the service will prove his worth over the season. He has nothing to prove IMHO and I would rather have him in our team than not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Holt didn't get the service and lived off scraps on Friday night and was far from our worst player. I think McGeough on his game is an exceptional player but he was anonymous on Friday night. A player of his quality should be bossing games, especially in this league.

Holt given the service will prove his worth over the season. He has nothing to prove IMHO and I would rather have him in our team than not.

Agree about lack of service. That is our biggest problem IMO.

Although I thought Holt spent far too much time in areas you don't really want to see him on Friday. When he's playing he really needs to be a focal point for us and I thought he drifted in to areas where he wasn't going to do any damage or even give us an out ball.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Agree about lack of service. That is our biggest problem IMO.

Although I thought Holt spent far too much time in areas you don't really want to see him on Friday. When he's playing he really needs to be a focal point for us and I thought he drifted in to areas where he wasn't going to do any damage or even give us an out ball.
    Again that's down to his team mates and as I mentioned lack of service. He's dragged out of position chasing lost causes where as you mentioned he should be the focal point.

Let's hope he can get back to it on Saturday.

I also think it's time to bring Jason back into the fold!

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Again that's down to his team mates and as I mentioned lack of service. He's dragged out of position chasing lost causes where as you mentioned he should be the focal point.

Wigan must have the same kind of problems as us, their management team were always onto him to keep his position, but it is easier to drift wide rather than do the job you were brought into do.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Wigan must have the same kind of problems as us, their management team were always onto him to keep his position, but it is easier to drift wide rather than do the job you were brought into do.
    Same as Stokesy? He was frustrated at service and came out wide to get the ball
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Really. It must however be frustrating at not getting the ball where you want it. He is an important player for us and must get the service.

Two wrongs don't make a right though. Granted the service is poor, but if he's away in a wide area or elsewhere there isn't anything to actually hit.

Generally I'd have him in the team. But I think he can do more.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    Same as Stokesy? He was frustrated at service and came out wide to get the ball
    Two different types of players, we are playing a lot of whether some folk like to admit it or not hoofball, and his job is to hold it up and bring others into the game, he's not very good at doing that.

Stokes was never that kind of player, and coming in from the left was one of his best attributes, Holt has no pace, little dribbling skills and not the best at going past a player, why would he go wide?

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Two wrongs don't make a right though. Granted the service is poor, but if he's away in a wide area or elsewhere there isn't anything to actually hit.

Generally I'd have him in the team. But I think he can do more.
    Can't disagree BHFC. A man of his experience and quality should be in and around the 18 yard box (and 6) rather than dragging himself out wide.

Really. It must however be frustrating at not getting the ball where you want it. He is an important player for us and must get the service.

They couldn't wait to get rid of him, albeit he was on very good wages but the management were fed up trying to get him to do what he was supposed to do, but he was everywhere apart from where he should have been.

The guy who told me this was employed by Wigan, and is a Hibs fan. He also said he expected him to do the same for us.

They couldn't wait to get rid of him, albeit he was on very good wages but the management were fed up trying to get him to do what he was supposed to do, but he was everywhere apart from where he should have been.

The guy who told me this was employed by Wigan, and is a Hibs fan. He also said he expected him to do the same for us.
    He needs to be told by Lennon to stick to what he should be doing then and not have his own agenda. That aside I'd still rather he was in the team.

Two different types of players, we are playing a lot of whether some folk like to admit it or not hoofball, and his job is to hold it up and bring others into the game, he's not very good at doing that.

Stokes was never that kind of player, and coming in from the left was one of his best attributes, Holt has no pace, little dribbling skills and not the best at going past a player, why would he go wide?
    Most of the time he should be with his back to goal getting the ball into his feet and using his vast strength to hold it up and lay it off to a supporting midfielder or fellow forward thus creating space and time for us to build an attack. He should be very very good at that by using his bulk and superior strength to good effect. He is a good player who had a poor game on Friday night and was by no means the only one. We'll be fine.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar

Agree Scoops, Lennon said that Boyle was on the penalties and had been practicing them through the week, why the f*** is Holt messing with a players head and arguing over who should take it, was quite clear that Lennon was letting Holt know that Boyle was taking it and once Boyle missed it Holt thought he should let Lennon know what he thought by the gesture/sign he gave to the manager and then told him to f*** off, Lennon should have hooked Holt straight away after that, if Lennon is a man not to be messed with he seemed/looked a bit sheepish when Holt was giving him a earful, nothing worse when a player has been given instructions to do on the pitch and another player thinks he should call the shots, if Lennon has been teaching Cummings a lesson then the same has to be done with Holt regards discipline.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Lucky,maybe I've been expecting too much from Holt. As I said earlier I am neither critical or overjoyed with his performances to date.

If he knew Boyle was the designated penalty then he should have stayed clear, not saying Boyle would have scored but Holt's intervention wouldn't have helped
    It puts added pressure on the designated penalty taker when these situations happen, Holt would have known that Boyle was on it and stepped aside for Boyle to take.