hibs.net Messageboard

I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar

Andrew Sachs dies

Apparently he had been suffering from dementia for the last four years.

Had a good innings at 86 but it's still sad to see such an iconic figure from British comedy pass away.

He was outstanding as Manuel.

"Que?"
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Sad news.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net proletariat member Pete's Avatar
    I remember faulty towers being on regularly in my house when I was growing up and I always assumed that it was a work from the eighties. It must have been repeats or video recordings as the series was originally shown in the mid to late seventies! It's also worth noting that there were only ever twelve episodes made.

Manual was definitely one of the reasons why the show was so popular and some of the exchanges between Cleese and Sachs are simply brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Had a good innings at 86 but it's still sad to see such an iconic figure from British comedy pass away.

"Que?"
    Totally agree. Loved FT, even today it STILL remains the act everyone strives to follow.

RIP wee man. You were different class!😊

Comedy legend.

Fawlty Towers for me is the best comedy sitcom ever produced, and Manuel was one of the funniest characters in it.

RIP

Jambo Kickback's Flump of the Year 2008 Sergey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post

"Que?"
    He lived a few doors away from me when I moved to England, in a beautiful little cul-de-sac in Saffron Walden. We were actually on first name terms and often drank together in the Wagon & Horses (along with Jamie Oliver who also lived in said cul-de-sac).

I'm saddened to hear of his death, but glad that his family no longer has to go through the struggle that dementia brings!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Prunella Scales - Sybil from the show - is also afflicted by dementia.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post
    He lived a few doors away from me when I moved to England, in a beautiful little cul-de-sac in Saffron Walden. We were actually on first name terms and often drank together in the Wagon & Horses (along with Jamie Oliver who also lived in said cul-de-sac).

I'm saddened to hear of his death, but glad that his family no longer has to go through the struggle that dementia brings!
    That's quite brilliant - I can imagine he had some interesting and amusing stories to share with you. Always came across as quite a gentle and reserved man from what I seen in interviews etc, but played the manic Manuel perfectly!