hibs.net Messageboard

Freedom of information?

Does anybody know where I can find information on the sale of the City Hospital and the Princess Margaret Rose?

I'm mostly interested in finding out how much the land was sold for, and who got the money from the sales, ie, NHS, local or central government. And also who sanctioned the sales?

Any help greatly appreciated.
    😍

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    google can help a bit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince...aedic_Hospital

During the 1990s, a site in the south of Edinburgh was developed for the new Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, which opened in 2003. As part of this redevelopment, a number of smaller hospitals were to be closed, with their work centralised at the new Infirmary.[7] The Princess Margaret Rose was closed in 2000,[1] with the site sold for housing for 4.3 million in 2002.[2]
    The developers, Bryant Homes, built 67 houses and two apartment blocks in the first phase of development, plus converted a third block (the former nurses' quarters) into flats.[2] The initial plans for the second phase had relied on adapting the existing Orthopaedic Wing, a listed building, but this was demolished after an arson attack in 2002. It was replaced by a new development with six flats and seventeen terraced houses,under the name "Princess Gate", designed by Malcolm Fraser Architects. This later received a Scottish Design Award and was shortlisted for the RIAS Andrew Doolan Best Building in Scotland Award in 2007.[6]

one forum i was reading suggested wrongdoings by whoever would have benefitted after that arson attack

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    google can help a bit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince...aedic_Hospital

During the 1990s, a site in the south of Edinburgh was developed for the new Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, which opened in 2003. As part of this redevelopment, a number of smaller hospitals were to be closed, with their work centralised at the new Infirmary.[7] The Princess Margaret Rose was closed in 2000,[1] with the site sold for housing for 4.3 million in 2002.[2]
    The developers, Bryant Homes, built 67 houses and two apartment blocks in the first phase of development, plus converted a third block (the former nurses' quarters) into flats.[2] The initial plans for the second phase had relied on adapting the existing Orthopaedic Wing, a listed building, but this was demolished after an arson attack in 2002. It was replaced by a new development with six flats and seventeen terraced houses,under the name "Princess Gate", designed by Malcolm Fraser Architects. This later received a Scottish Design Award and was shortlisted for the RIAS Andrew Doolan Best Building in Scotland Award in 2007.[6]

one forum i was reading suggested wrongdoings by whoever would have benefitted after that arson attack

Thanks for that. The plot thickens though. 4.3 million is a complete joke even in 2000. Almost theft really.

Testimonial Due
    Do arson attacks not frequently happen where listed buildings are in the way of a development?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    Do arson attacks not frequently happen where listed buildings are in the way of a development?
    Too frequently for it to be purely luck.

Another example of similar that sticks in my mind is when Fat Sam's was being redeveloped. There was some kinda archway that was listed and had to incorporated into the new design, low and behold an accident took place and the thing got knocked over which meant they didn't have to work round it. Very convenient.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    Too frequently for it to be purely luck.

Another example of similar that sticks in my mind is when Fat Sam's was being redeveloped. There was some kinda archway that was listed and had to incorporated into the new design, low and behold an accident took place and the thing got knocked over which meant they didn't have to work round it. Very convenient.
    Or the strange story of old Scot Prov building...grade 2 listed so could not be demolished.

Has its graded listing removed to allow it to be demolished but only on the promise it would be re-instated as part of the new build.

No sooner was the building down there was a revised planning application lodged that lo and behold excluded the rebuilding of the facade....clearly a cunning ruse which would be thrown out, oh no it was duly approved!

Not that I was shedding a tear for what to me was an ugly thing anyway (not that it's replacement is any more bonny) but a rather interesting and inventive way of circumnavigating listed building requirements!

Always suspicious of a fire starting in a historical building which has recently changed hands. Happened to a grand old hotel in the town I grew up in. Certainly beats having to fend off objections to a change of use application when you're looking at rebuilding from a ruin.