hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by ihibs7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The individual was dismissed and the police were informed - reads to me like they told the victims dad, who was in the police.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently the SFA failed to act when they received repprts of a coach and linesman perpetrating child abuse.

I fear this could be a horrible story for anyone with an interest in scottish fitba as we confront the game's collusion in this.

2. Log in to remove the advert

The individual was dismissed and the police were informed - reads to me like they told the victims dad, who was in the police.

You seem a bit confused.It was his father that told Rangers.They sacked the guy and told the police.What more could they have done?

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Re-reading the sun stories there's two sources who were both at rangers under neely. As somebody has mentioned above trial by media isn't a great outcome for anyone here, especially when the media seems to have its own agenda.

I don't read the **** but the story on the BBC focuses on Neely at Hibs. The photo of him with the squad makes for very uncomfortable viewing.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Neely coached me in the mid 70s. I have to say there wee no shenanigans or even rumours st the time. Certainly never attempted anything with me. To be fair I was a big ****** even at that age and we didn't see eye to eye on anything and argued on a regular basis before I moved on. He did **** up my registration papers and deliberately put me out the game for 6 months. Never took to him.

An Ibrox spokesman said: “Rangers is now aware of an alleged incident involving an individual who worked very briefly for the club more than 25 years ago.

“It’s understood the individual was dismissed immediately and that the police were informed.”

I agree with you about him not being around anymore to defend himself. I wonder what kind of resolution is now possible. The rangers have lined up their position, I don't think it's a position that is reasonable or decent. I'd also venture given what I posted above re GN seeing as he's now identified, that rangers aren't being entirely honest - possibly in their defence, because no one involved in what happened in 1990 is still with the club.

Now aware? What happened between 1990, and 2016? Did everyone have their memories erased?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Truth View Post
    Now aware? What happened between 1990, and 2016? Did everyone have their memories erased?
    Different club.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Absolutely this .... and even if Hibs don't end up being named this is NOT a subject to use for terracing banter or as a stick to beat opposition clubs or fans with, to do so would be utterly disrespectful to the victims in my opinion.
    Totally agree. It's horrifying to think that these so called coaches could ruin so many lives. The least we can do is support the victims in any way possible and making sure we don't points score over other clubs is a start. As has been said all clubs need to ensure that it is not happening now and have procedures in place to ensure as much as is humanly possible that it doesn't happen again. My heart goes out to every victim and the immense bravery they have shown. I would like to see all the football Associations be more proactive in firstly dealing with past cases and then making sure that everybody stays vigilant and it's not all forgotten about it a few months. We owe that much to every youngster who has suffered.
    Last edited by mjhibby; 06-12-2016 at 07:40 AM.

My memory might be playing tricks, but I'm pretty sure GN and an older coach with the initials of PO, coached Links Utd in the early 70's. Played their home games in the Links, and their changing rooms / clubhouse was above a garage / coachworks, right next to Ma Aitkens. I was around 13 / 14 at the time and I'm also pretty sure there was a couple of reasonable high profile 15 / 16 year olds playing for them ready to sign for senior clubs, which they did. I'm deliberately not naming names as I have already stated mymemory could be playing tricks and I don't want to cause any unneccessary embarassment. We had been getting coached at the old St Anthony's at the bottom of Lochend Road, by PO, I personally never played for Links United and I don't think I was connected to them for any great length of time as I think they only had the one age group. I can't say I ever heard anything untoward going on.

GGTTH
    Scottish Cup Winners 2016

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Truth View Post
    It's very unlikely that anyone with any knowledge or authority would still be there 26 years later.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Leith Green's Avatar
    I have to say how much this makes you think , especially when it involves your own club and probably local children. It makes you realise how real and disturbing these acts are and how it must damage families and causeunimaginable pain as well as ruining their lives.

The stand out thing for me is how we as football fans behave and act when it comes to these horrible and horrific events becoming public knowledge. I have to admit to now being embarrassed by having sung songs at tynecastle about craig thomson and jimmy saville etc in the past. At the end of the day and as a father myself that kind of singing and chanting is not on and has to be stopped as well..

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Absolutely this .... and even if Hibs don't end up being named this is NOT a subject to use for terracing banter or as a stick to beat opposition clubs or fans with, to do so would be utterly disrespectful to the victims in my opinion.
    Totally agree with this. Hopefully the "banter" about Savilles and the like will disappear from here.

Don't want to keep re-emphasising this but Hibs are already named. The BBC articles focus on Neely's time with Hibs and the guy who discloses abuse was part of the Hibs youth set up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-38208329

Quote Originally Posted by R'Albin View Post
    I'm also interested to know if this was the case that MagpieHibs was referring to.
    If you mean me, then no, it's not the one I was talking about. I was referring to a hun 'legend' who had been interfering with children.

johnjamessite has been brave/foolhardy and actually named the player in question.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    You seem a bit confused.It was his father that told Rangers.They sacked the guy and told the police.What more could they have done?
    I'm not confused, I just think that Rangers statement is deliberately evasive.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs07p View Post
    My memory might be playing tricks, but I'm pretty sure GN and an older coach with the initials of PO, coached Links Utd in the early 70's. Played their home games in the Links, and their changing rooms / clubhouse was above a garage / coachworks, right next to Ma Aitkens. I was around 13 / 14 at the time and I'm also pretty sure there was a couple of reasonable high profile 15 / 16 year olds playing for them ready to sign for senior clubs, which they did. I'm deliberately not naming names as I have already stated mymemory could be playing tricks and I don't want to cause any unneccessary embarassment. We had been getting coached at the old St Anthony's at the bottom of Lochend Road, by PO, I personally never played for Links United and I don't think I was connected to them for any great length of time as I think they only had the one age group. I can't say I ever heard anything untoward going on.

GGTTH
    I think you are right about him being at links united, that's where i know him from and not edina hibs. Was one of those high profile names you were thinking about someone who signed for Hearts?

There was another manager there, was it Peter O'neil?

I'm not confused, I just think that Rangers statement is deliberately evasive.

The Rangers statement is pretty defensive, as we have come to expect from them.

But to be fair to them in this instance, they see themselves being linked in the press with a thoroughly unsavoury subject and if what they have said so far is true, they did nothing other than act and behave in an entirely appropriate manner at the time.

I'm sure it will all come out in the wash, but it will be very interesting to see how clubs handled complaints being raised with them. Obviously Hibs are being regularly named in these articles - rather than the ultra-defensive Rangers-esque approach, I hope we take a slightly different stance i.e rather than say "nowt to do with us" promise to co-operate fully with any enquiry or criminal investigation, stress and stress our zero tolerance approach to child abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I think you are right about him being at links united, that's where i know him from and not edina hibs. Was one of those high profile names you were thinking about someone who signed for Hearts?

There was another manager there, was it Peter O'neil?
    I think 2 of them signed for Hearts and Peter O'Neil was the other manager.

GGTTH

I first started playing for a team when I was about 9 - does anyone remember the five a sides at Craigroyston Community High School pitches in the early 70s? There were literally dozens of wee teams and at least one Pilton Sporting Club age group grew from that. The Sharks, The Lions, The Barracudas, and so on, played on Saturday mornings. There were loads of adults giving up their own time to ref and look after the laddies. I then played for various school and amateur teams well into my forties and played for and worked with many coaches. At no point in all those years was I aware of any indecent goings on.
    There obviously was stuff happening somewhere at the time, as it is inherent throughout society, but I just didn't know of anyone being targeted. I have always been uncomfortable with the 'Saville-type' jibes aimed at Hearts though (on this board and at matches) and would never subscribe to using that type of insult towards them or anyone else. We should all rally against the abusers and remember they could have been, and probably still are, at any club. I'm just in awe of the bravery of those affected and hope they receive some justice and/or closure.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    The Rangers statement is pretty defensive, as we have come to expect from them.

But to be fair to them in this instance, they see themselves being linked in the press with a thoroughly unsavoury subject and if what they have said so far is true, they did nothing other than act and behave in an entirely appropriate manner at the time.

I'm sure it will all come out in the wash, but it will be very interesting to see how clubs handled complaints being raised with them. Obviously Hibs are being regularly named in these articles - rather than the ultra-defensive Rangers-esque approach, I hope we take a slightly different stance i.e rather than say "nowt to do with us" promise to co-operate fully with any enquiry or criminal investigation, stress and stress our zero tolerance approach to child abuse.
    I agree. If what they have said is true, then they have done all that they can. Personally, I have my doubts that everything they have said in their statement is true, but I doubt we'll ever really know.

@hibs.net private member hibbymick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I knew him when i was a boy, although i cant remember if it was with Edina Hibs or somewhere else? He seemed a very driven guy from my vague memory of him, but this was early to middle 70's.
    Were you the orange peeler ?

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews...cid=spartanntp

A former football coach has come clean about the years of abuse he inflicted on young players, saying there are so many he can’t remember them all.Former Celtic kit man Jim McCafferty, 71, confessed to a 20-year campaign of abuse during the 1980s and 90s in a bid to “unburden himself” and “cleanse his soul” after a whistleblower came forward about his behaviour.

the story is about him at celtic, why is their a reference to hibs near the bottom ?

"A spokesman for Hibs said the club hadn’t been contacted by the police concerning any allegations regarding McCafferty."

was he ever employed by hibs ? although I realise the mirror is a sister paper of the daily record

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post

A former football coach has come clean about the years of abuse he inflicted on young players, saying there are so many he can’t remember them all.Former Celtic kit man Jim McCafferty, 71, confessed to a 20-year campaign of abuse during the 1980s and 90s in a bid to “unburden himself” and “cleanse his soul” after a whistleblower came forward about his behaviour.

the story is about him at celtic, why is their a reference to hibs near the bottom ?

"A spokesman for Hibs said the club hadn’t been contacted by the police concerning any allegations regarding McCafferty."

was he ever employed by hibs ? although I realise the mirror is a sister paper of the daily record

According to a similar story in the DR, he came to us after Celtic, and worked as a kitman. Fairly relevant, I would have thought.

The DR is now saying that the guy has handed himself in to the police.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post

Jim was the Kitman at hibs in the late 90s/early 00s. From some tweets and Facebook posts from young players back then they aren't that shocked and are saying it's about time this was made public.

The daily record have a video of Jim handing himself in to the police in Belfast and him apologising. It's made me feel sick as I knew Jim from the time I was a ball girl at hibs. I think there is a lot more to come out over the the coming months from many clubs and players.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    According to a similar story in the DR, he came to us after Celtic, and worked as a kitman. Fairly relevant, I would have thought.

The DR is now saying that the guy has handed himself in to the police.

to be fair(to me) the mirror didn't mention anything about him being employed by hibs hence my confusion why they just dropped our clubs name in to the story

after having a quick wee looky at the daily record site first up is a nice story of Hibs and Dnipro, maybe worthy of a thread on it's own

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/f...unique-9403071

Quote Originally Posted by oconnors_strip View Post
    Jim was the Kitman at hibs in the late 90s/early 00s. From some tweets and Facebook posts from young players back then they aren't that shocked and are saying it's about time this was made public.

The daily record have a video of Jim handing himself in to the police in Belfast and him apologising. It's made me feel sick as I knew Jim from the time I was a ball girl at hibs. I think there is a lot more to come out over the the coming months from many clubs and players.
    ]

thanks for that explanation os, I just can't remember his name ever being mentioned in anything to do with hibs, fully understand how yourself/others that knew him will be feeling now

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wee Effen Bee View Post
    I first started playing for a team when I was about 9 - does anyone remember the five a sides at Craigroyston Community High School pitches in the early 70s? There were literally dozens of wee teams and at least one Pilton Sporting Club age group grew from that. The Sharks, The Lions, The Barracudas, and so on, played on Saturday mornings. There were loads of adults giving up their own time to ref and look after the laddies. I then played for various school and amateur teams well into my forties and played for and worked with many coaches. At no point in all those years was I aware of any indecent goings on.
    There obviously was stuff happening somewhere at the time, as it is inherent throughout society, but I just didn't know of anyone being targeted. I have always been uncomfortable with the 'Saville-type' jibes aimed at Hearts though (on this board and at matches) and would never subscribe to using that type of insult towards them or anyone else. We should all rally against the abusers and remember they could have been, and probably still are, at any club. I'm just in awe of the bravery of those affected and hope they receive some justice and/or closure.
    I won't name any names as I don't have any evidence but, as someone who went to school in Edinburgh in the 80s, rumours were rife. My own school PE teacher had some questionable practices shall we say (always felt it necessary to supervise showers very intently) and we boys used to make sure we were never alone with him.

This stuff just wasn't taken seriously, by anyone. Ironically, young people today are much safer, but of course it's all coming out now.

There are no excuses. Every sport and every organisation which looked after kids now has to look at what happened in the past. Swimming clubs, scout groups, you name it.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbymick View Post
    Were you the orange peeler ?
    never peeled a hun in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Laughing stock? Apart from those who think it's clever to use this sort of stuff as a point scoring exercise I don't think anyone will be laughing.

Agree. Perhaps now all the silly and immature songs about "peados" will never be heard again at another Hibs game.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Laughing stock? Apart from those who think it's clever to use this sort of stuff as a point scoring exercise I don't think anyone will be laughing.
    Just like we had a go at the Hertz.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieCowan View Post
    Agree. Perhaps now all the silly and immature songs about "peados" will never be heard again at another Hibs game.
    Thank goodness it is awful stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by oconnors_strip View Post

I remember him and so does Tam McManus

http://www.tammcmanus.com/single-pos...Jim-McCafferty
    This is how it feels