hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Historical child abuse within football

Apologies as I can't post the link but I've been watching the interview with former footballers who've decided to speak out about being sexually abused as children while they were involved in football and its heartbreaking stuff.

The men who have decided to go public with this deserve all this support they'll get. Its horrible to think that people in a position of power abuse this for the sake of their own sick needs.

They think that this is just the tip of this iceberg when it comes to the revelations. Hers hoping they catch all those responsible and hand the guilty the relevant punishments while making sure it never happens again.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Yup. Just seen one ex player interviewed on Sky.

He thought that being abused was the norm and that it was something you had to go through if you wanted to make it in the game.

Frightening stuff with lots more to come to light I think.

Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Apologies as I can't post the link but I've been watching the interview with former footballers who've decided to speak out about being sexually abused as children while they were involved in football and its heartbreaking stuff.

The men who have decided to go public with this deserve all this support they'll get. Its horrible to think that people in a position of power abuse this for the sake of their own sick needs.

They think that this is just the tip of this iceberg when it comes to the revelations. Hers hoping they catch all those responsible and hand the guilty the relevant punishments while making sure it never happens again.
    It makes my blood boil,not only the actions of the paedophile but also the pathetic sentences handed out to them.there are too many do gooders who think that these beasts can be cured,they can't ,as far as I'm concerned it should be 1 strike and out,perhaps if the sentence was for a substantial amount of time it may deter them.

Quote Originally Posted by rotherhamrob View Post
    It makes my blood boil,not only the actions of the paedophile but also the pathetic sentences handed out to them.there are too many do gooders who think that these beasts can be cured,they can't ,as far as I'm concerned it should be 1 strike and out,perhaps if the sentence was for a substantial amount of time it may deter them.
    A severe kicking should be included too. Some people just deserve it, kiddy fiddlers fall firmly into that bracket.

I'm not trying to compare this to the Jimmy Saville case here but On the face of it this might be worse.
    Taking young boys and making out this is how they'll make it further in their football careers... I can't think of a word to describe how disgusting and deplorable it is.

Quote Originally Posted by 1two View Post
    I'm not trying to compare this to the Jimmy Saville case here but On the face of it this might be worse.
    Taking young boys and making out this is how they'll make it further in their football careers... I can't think of a word to describe how disgusting and deplorable it is.
    Guy said on the news last night that the coach guy got the t al trust of the parents and even had the boys staying over at his house. Parents were over the moon that the coach saw 'potential' in their boys! Horrific and as you say could be thousands of boys/men affected over the years.

Words fail me!! There are some sick people out there!!

I really hope those that have done wrong are found and brought to justice.

Are there not checks put in place to ensure that those who work with children are not a threat to children?

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post

Are there not checks put in place to ensure that those who work with children are not a threat to children?
    I think the thing with checks is they'll only flag people who've been caught.

It s really strict nowadays with PVG/disclosure checks.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post

You can carry out all the background checks you like,totally useless if the offender has never been previously caught.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    You can carry out all the background checks you like,totally useless if the offender has never been previously caught.
    Totally agree SH - this will be the tip of the iceberg - and as you rightly point out, many offenders will have no previous criminal history - can see this story going down the route of Yewtree - devastating for the victims - however, and please don't think I'm detracting from the seriousness, it's funny how the media didn't mention one of the player's recent dismissal from his job (equally as bad) - only saying that because media pick their moments.

Quote Originally Posted by 1two View Post
    These *******s prey on youngster hopes and dreams. I remember a good few years ago there was a story in the papers about the boss of a model agency who was tempting young girls with promises of a career as a model, if they gave him sexual favours.

This latest scandal will, in my opinion, be the tip of the iceberg. Wherever children, and teenagers, are, whether it's football, swimming, tennis, rugby, the cubs/scouts BB etc, there will be perverts looking to ingratiate themselves with them. Fortunately, times have changed, and the old you don't want a scandal attitude seems to be a thing of the past. I hope more of these *******s are caught. There will surely be a few who are worried at the moment?

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    It's all sorted now - 'The Crafty Cockney' has the answer..

Yet another shocking revelation, I find myself wondering if similar "things" are happening here in Germany amongst the huge number of clubs involved in youth work - I doubt that this is solely a "British society" problem? The answer surely has to therefore be yes; is it only a matter of time before news of a similar scandal here breaks? Must admit I find it difficult myself to believe that this can happen without parents, youth club colleagues and so on not "noticing" at some point - is that too naive? Are the culprits so good at covering up their actions, or are we, as a society, simply not interested or wary enough in how our kids are being looked after?

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    It's all sorted now - 'The Crafty Cockney' has the answer..

What an absolute cretin of a human being. Has apparently started saying that those footballers who were victims of child abuse are wimps. An extremely narrow minded view, one that should warrant the removal of his MBE.
    Last edited by Callyballybe; 29-11-2016 at 07:06 AM.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Hate saying this but these sick b******* will target anywhere that gets them access to children.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Disgusting. Unfortunately it appears that this "culture" was rife through a certain era. Sincerely hope that anyone affected speak out regardless of how "highly regarded" someone is held within the game and that they get all the support needed. Hammer the **** involved in this sickening act. Basturds.

One thing that disappointed me today was sticking on soccer Saturday. A program almost all of us are aware of and appreciate it's place as the biggest football show. I was hoping they'd open the show with talking about it and showing support for the players affected. That would show everyone they are safe to come out and talk about what happened but not a word on it, instead it was business as usual and talking about the premier league. A program that has such a high standing in the game could go a long way to supporting former colleagues and friends

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    Disgusting. Unfortunately it appears that this "culture" was rife through a certain era. Sincerely hope that anyone affected speak out regardless of how "highly regarded" someone is held within the game and that they get all the support needed. Hammer the **** involved in this sickening act. Basturds.

One thing that disappointed me today was sticking on soccer Saturday. A program almost all of us are aware of and appreciate it's place as the biggest football show. I was hoping they'd open the show with talking about it and showing support for the players affected. That would show everyone they are safe to come out and talk about what happened but not a word on it, instead it was business as usual and talking about the premier league. A program that has such a high standing in the game could go a long way to supporting former colleagues and friends
    To be honest i have seen it mentioned on numerous programmes over the last few days, i was glad it was not mentioned on soccer saturday.

There has been good coverage of this across the board sport and news, i personally think they had no need to go into it today on the show.

I'm not really sure just what hearing Charlie Nicholas or Paul Merson's views would change or even inform me anymore on this situation?

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    To be honest i have seen it mentioned on numerous programmes over the last few days, i was glad it was not mentioned on soccer saturday.

There has been good coverage of this across the board sport and news, i personally think they had no need to go into it today on the show.

I'm not really sure just what hearing Charlie Nicholas or Paul Merson's views would change or even inform me anymore on this situation?
    It's all fine and well hearing jim white/Natalie sawyer or whoever talking about it but have they been in that environment?

Having someone who you've shared a dressing room or a football pitch with imo would give anyone in that position a bit of extra support they may need to come out and speak. This is massive and anyway who is in a position where they can potentially support victims even by having a 1 minute chat would be great for some of the guys

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    It's all fine and well hearing jim white/Natalie sawyer or whoever talking about it but have they been in that environment?

Having someone who you've shared a dressing room or a football pitch with imo would give anyone in that position a bit of extra support they may need to come out and speak. This is massive and anyway who is in a position where they can potentially support victims even by having a 1 minute chat would be great for some of the guys
    I never mentioned any of those you talk of, i have seen many players speak about this, from league 2 players to Wayne Rooney.

How much more will Charlie Nicholas tell me or inform me that i don't already know? I'm pretty sure too, that now the cat is out the bag, a one minute chat on soccer saturday would be neither here nor there.

I actually know Paul Stewart who is a complete bawbag, but never deserved what he say's happened to him, and if there are a lot more like him, a few minutes spoken on soccer saturday won't make a difference at all.

They never mentioned it either before the Chelsea match thats on now, but it will be on many programmes over the coming weeks, it is a huge story but it cant be spoken about on every football show.

First Team Breakthrough
    I got a harrowing first hand account -from a dad - about a certain 80s coach who ended up at the old Rangers.

Can you defame the dead, i.e. The old Rangers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ihibs7 View Post
    I got a harrowing first hand account -from a dad - about a certain 80s coach who ended up at the old Rangers.

Can you defame the dead, i.e. The old Rangers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sounds like this could be a matter for the police / SFA helpline that's been set up to deal with this to be honest?

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    The problem will never go away and where kids are you'll always find pedophiles. Paradoxically they're also normally otherwise nice people, they have to be otherwise we wouldn't trust them with our kids. The only defense is to educate your children to the fact that these monsters exist and ensure they know how to expose them and that no matter what it's okay to do so.

It seems since the death of Saville the wall of silence has started to be broken down regarding what seems a particularly despicable era in British society.

There was always a belief that Saville himself had dirt on influential and so called important people and was never exposed for that reason. The short length of time between his death and his exposure lends weight to that imo.

Whatever the reasons it's good, for lack of a better word, to see these despicable individuals publicly named and shamed. As said above many got away with their crimes for years by hiding in plain sight with a public image and personality the kept their depravity hidden.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    It seems since the death of Saville the wall of silence has started to be broken down regarding what seems a particularly despicable era in British society.

There was always a belief that Saville himself had dirt on influential and so called important people and was never exposed for that reason. The short length of time between his death and his exposure lends weight to that imo.

Whatever the reasons it's good, for lack of a better word, to see these despicable individuals publicly named and shamed. As said above many got away with their crimes for years by hiding in plain sight with a public image and personality the kept their depravity hidden.
    Its wrong to say that there's been a wall of silence over this.Bennell's been jailed three times.It's in fact been well known but the FA decided to do Sweet FA about it-that's the disgrace.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Its wrong to say that there's been a wall of silence over this.Bennell's been jailed three times.It's in fact been well known but the FA decided to do Sweet FA about it-that's the disgrace.

Good point, overlooked by many (including the BBC).

These are not, as wrongly reported, allegations of abuse. Bennell has been jailed both here and in the USA - although there's a good argument that he should have been jailed for longer.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Guys just a friendly warning that absolutely no names are to be posted on here regardless of how sure you are of the truth of the story.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Guys just a friendly warning that absolutely no names are to be posted on here regardless of how sure you are of the truth of the story.
    I certainly won't do that.

We're obviously all talking about the same person anyhow - hence the lack of enquiry as to the identity of the individual.

@hibs.net private member

Its entirely possible that alleged abusers were themselves abused...................................